Notices

Do people still use the SMC?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2003, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Double Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do people still use the SMC?

I used to probably 3 threads a day about the SMC...but lately it seems like nobody ever talks about it. Do people still use them? I never really read up on them...all i know is that they are cheap and hard as hell to tune. So who uses them...and are you happy with it? Im sure youd rather have Hondata(who wouldnt), but are you pleased with it as a cheap fuel management system...or do you wish you woulda went with something else? Thanks.
Old 06-15-2003, 04:09 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: Do people still use the SMC? (sCeRaXn)

Yes, I use the Autronic SMC.
Old 06-15-2003, 04:26 PM

Default Re: Do people still use the SMC? (sCeRaXn)

i got an SMC + fs for 100$ sihpped if interested. used for 2 months
Old 06-15-2003, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Do people still use the SMC? (project dc2)

If i get an smc it will probably bea SMC500. Thanks for the replies...but om looking more for positive or negative feedback on it. Ive heard that the smc and smc+ are harder to tune than the smc500. Im really just looking for something cheap that will get me by until the end of the summer...then i go Hondata. Thanks

Sean
Old 06-15-2003, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's not reliable, IMO. I have the SMC (right before the PLUS version came out).

I have to run way rich to IDLE right, and there is a intermittent "cut-out" during 2k-3.5k rpm range.

Waiting for my Hondata ECU to return from being chipped.
Old 06-15-2003, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Honda4CX-T)

There is nothing wrong with the SMC. If you get the smc dual you will have more adjustment capability than the vafc hack. For the price, nothing can beat it
Old 06-15-2003, 06:00 PM

Default Re: (CivicSoul)

I'm still using the SMC+. I haven't gotten it tuned on a dyno or even a wideband. I've only fooled around with it myself and it's still running pretty good. If I can get it running ok, it can't be hard to tune. Of course I'm saving up for Hondata or AEM, but I'm pretty happy with it right now, especially for the price.
Old 06-15-2003, 07:57 PM

Default Re: (red_sir)

So overall its good for the price? Ive heard that it sorta hesitates during the boost transition...and that it will buck when you let off the gas. But i dont guess you could expect it to be perfect for around $150. Is the 500 any easier to tune on the butt dyno than the regular smc or the smc+? I dont really understand how you judge how much fuel is getting dumped it...it seems like increasing the percentage will lean it out more and decreasing it will richen it up. Im prolly wrong though...could somebody explain it to me? Thanks

Sean
Old 06-15-2003, 08:15 PM

Default Re: (sCeRaXn)

Yeah, I think it's great for the price. Boost transition is very smooth. It does buck a bit at part throttle when you're barely pressing the gas pedal. But it can be minimized once you get used to it by getting on the gas faster or letting off faster, that way you won't be at part throttle as much. I haven't used the normal SMC or SMC500, but I'm guessing their about as equally easy to tune. Just a few less, or few more, rpm points you can tune. As for the percentage, -10% correction means you are only taking out 10% fuel so it's pretty rich. -40% means you're taking out 40% fuel, so it'll be a lot leaner than -10%.
Old 06-15-2003, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (red_sir)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...all i know is that they are cheap and hard as hell to tune......Ive heard that the smc and smc+ are harder to tune than the smc500</TD></TR></TABLE>

who said they are hard as hell to tune? i have the SMC+ and it couldnt be easier. anyone who says tuning the SMC is hard doesnt belong near a boosted car. also, the SMC 500 would be more work to tune than the SMC+ since you have twice as many RPM settings. it would probably take you twice as long, if not more.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's not reliable, IMO</TD></TR></TABLE>

how do you figure? it all depends on the quality of the install. as long as its hooked up correctly and it is soldered, etc you will have no problems at all.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is the 500 any easier to tune on the butt dyno than the regular smc or the smc+? I dont really understand how you judge how much fuel is getting dumped it...</TD></TR></TABLE>

you shouldnt ever tune with the butt dyno. you will NEED either a wideband o2 monitor or pay for dyno time that has one. it will be WAY too easy to blow your motor on any type of tuning without a wideband. do it right or dont do it at all.
Old 06-16-2003, 01:07 AM

Default Re: Do people still use the SMC? (Arturbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Arturbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes, I use the Autronic SMC. </TD></TR></TABLE>

how do you like it?
Old 06-16-2003, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (keebler65)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how do you figure? it all depends on the quality of the install. as long as its hooked up correctly and it is soldered, etc you will have no problems at all.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Incorrect. The unit was installed perfectly, believe me.

It does/has a wierd (some people call it) cut-out/bucking/hesitation, If you are not getting on it (gas pedal). This happens during 2.5k and around 3.5k RPM, it's real annoying when taking the car out for a cruise.

Now like I said mine is the "old" one, about a less than a month before the SMC + came out.
Old 06-16-2003, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

for a small fee, zip will upgrade it to the the plus, 500, or dual. It is well worth it.
And it is not "Hard" to tune it just takes a littile longer because you have to varify the setting by watching the flashes.
Old 06-16-2003, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda4CX-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Incorrect. The unit was installed perfectly, believe me.

It does/has a wierd (some people call it) cut-out/bucking/hesitation, If you are not getting on it (gas pedal). This happens during 2.5k and around 3.5k RPM, it's real annoying when taking the car out for a cruise.

Now like I said mine is the "old" one, about a less than a month before the SMC + came out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

this isnt SMC-specific though. this problem will be present with any type of hack/dsm injector setup. i almost feel like i've bought SMC stock and am trying to hype it up. all i'm doing is giving it props because i'm so happy with it, especially for the price.
Old 06-16-2003, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (keebler65)

I have the SMC+ on my car. I've been using it for about a month and a half. I can't complain for the price. I need to tune my car on a dyno. I am just being lazy.
Old 06-16-2003, 05:47 PM

i have an SMC+ for sale. 100 bucks used for 2 days!