Notices

DIY Port and polish....

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Port and polish....

i was thinking about porting my head while its off... but i dont know how to pollish it.... any tips... what is the best side to port out if ur car is FI *(intake or exhaust), any tips would be helpfull and i also was wondering what dangers there might be by doing this urself?
Old 11-19-2006, 08:38 AM

Default Re: DIY Port and polish.... (boostnubII)

you're probley better off just cleaning up the casting marks, on a turbo car the exhaust can be opened up and smooth-in out to yield Hp. results.... To do it good you need air tools like a die grinder but a dremal can be used, look for a flap sander bit eather way.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:01 AM

Default Re: DIY Port and polish.... (spicyEM1)

will the flap sander give the pollished results?

i will be using a dremal... i assume i shud only be working on the inside and not making the exhaust ports any wider correct? is it kinna common for ppl to do this on there own or is it mostly something u would pay a shop to do?
Old 11-19-2006, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you're asking these types of questions about it, you're gonna want to have someone else do it.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:18 AM

you want the exhaust as smooth as possible so when you are done with the flap sander get the sanding things that look spongy and are rated by Grit like sand paper. The Intake you do NOT want smooth doing so with not let the air and fuel mix properly, after the flap sander I would take some 60grit sand paper and make it ruff again.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:13 AM

I port ALL the time.

what you want to do or at least what i do is i:

take down all rough casting marks
smooth out all ports intake and exhaust
take 60 grit to intake side for a finish result (lets air fuel mix properly

open up exhaust ports
knife edge exhaust dividers
take down rough casting marks
smooth the port out
then i use a adbrasive buffer ball on my dremmel 320grit
then use a metal finishing abrasive buff to finish off the exhaust side

it takes a great deal f time, from doing it as much as i do have have found a trick to the trade on getting the casting marks down and smooth in about 20 minutes on both intake and exhaust side.

but it depends on how extreme you want your ports and how perfect you want the exhaust ports to look is how long it will take you
Old 11-19-2006, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: DIY Port and polish.... (b18sihatch)

Look. Plain and simple. Cylinder head reworking isnt some east task! you cant just take a grinder/dremel to it and start trying to, "Shape and clean up" things when you absolutely dont know what the effects are. Most likely your going to cause some damage to your head/whatever your grinding on and it will either make you loose power or end up being a door stop..I speak from experience and vast knowledge..If your serious about getting some work done contact a well knowledged local or whatever cylinder head reworker and do it the right way the first time to suite your mods and future goals. Cylinder head reworking/ porting and "Polishing" heads isnt for everyone to do..seriously.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Double Platinum Member

Default Re: DIY Port and polish.... (Slaughter)

I would HIGHLY recommend that you send it to someone who does this all day everyday(RLZ and Headgames are the best in the biz IMO). I dont think you should attempt this yourself without alot of reseach and ALOT of time. Cleaning up casting flaws does very little for flow...and if you take off too much material in certain spots you will kill the airflow. And i wouldnt listen to anybody on here who are DIY porters, no matter how many heads theyve done or the "vast knowledge" they claim to have. The only way to do it properly is to use a flowbench on every step of the process and this isnt a luxury that most of us have. Youve got to remember that Honda engineered these heads extremely well...improving on them isnt an easy task. Honda heads are not like heads fron an SBC where you can just start taking material out and actually see gains...if you start taking out material youll most likely destroy a perfectly good head.

Trust me...i can guarantee you that ive done 20x the amount of porting that any of the DIY people on here...and i still woldnt consider myself to have a "vast knowledge". I was self taught but i had alot of help from some extremely talented porters who are so far out of my league its not even funny. Once you see the skill and knowledge that people like Brad from RLZ or Dave from Headgames has...youll appreciate the art even more and realize that this isnt something that should be done at home. Pay for a professional or leave it stock. A stock honda head isnt a bad thing at all...in fact theyre damn good

BTW-Some Joe Shmoe from your local machine shop isnt a professional. Like i said...take it to someone that does this all day every day and has proven themselves time and time again The information in this post isnt my opinion...its fact. Talk to anyone that actually knows what theyre doing and theyll tell you the same thing!
Old 11-19-2006, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What he said ^^
Old 11-19-2006, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, i do my stuff, since its just a D series. I just do what was said a few posts above. I wouldn't worry about the intake too much, your packing that full of air anyways with FI. Exhuast would give you the most help. If your on a budget do it yourself, before there was shops with high tech flow benches and what not, there was and will always be the do it yourselfer's.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Double Platinum Member

Default Re: DIY Port and polish.... (coneheadsracing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by coneheadsracing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, i do my stuff, since its just a D series. I just do what was said a few posts above. I wouldn't worry about the intake too much, your packing that full of air anyways with FI. Exhuast would give you the most help. If your on a budget do it yourself, before there was shops with high tech flow benches and what not, there was and will always be the do it yourselfer's. </TD></TR></TABLE>

So youre saying that since its "just a d series" that you cant screw up the flow? If so then please dont spread that nonsense because its simply not true. And those "high tech flowbenches" that youre talking about have been around since the 60's...which just happens to be when knowldegeable head porters came around. Coincidence? I dont think so.

To the OP. You can do what you want to do. But as i said i wouldnt do it myself if i were you. Basically every honda head flows well and its really hard to improve on them if you dont know what youre doing. Cleaning up casting flaws does little to no good as far as flow is concerned. In fact doing anything to the mouth of the port will yield little to no flow gains. The big gains will come by reworking the bowl area and with a good valve job. Which is something that should be left to the pro's
Old 11-19-2006, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY Port and polish.... (sCeRaXn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sCeRaXn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So youre saying that since its "just a d series" that you cant screw up the flow? If so then please dont spread that nonsense because its simply not true. And those "high tech flowbenches" that youre talking about have been around since the 60's...which just happens to be when knowldegeable head porters came around. Coincidence? I dont think so.

To the OP. You can do what you want to do. But as i said i wouldnt do it myself if i were you. Basically every honda head flows well and its really hard to improve on them if you dont know what youre doing. Cleaning up casting flaws does little to no good as far as flow is concerned. In fact doing anything to the mouth of the port will yield little to no flow gains. The big gains will come by reworking the bowl area and with a good valve job. Which is something that should be left to the pro's </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep i said my D-series is so cheap that i cannot possibly mess up the flow of the head by playing with it....... read much.

D series are cheap, i have a few of them laying around for my hondas. I like to learn things. So, i don't have any issues experimenting. I realize high tech has been around for a long time, my point was that someone had to decide to play at some point right? I agree that you could make it worse........
Old 11-19-2006, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have seen some how to on head porting, if you find any links post them up here
Old 11-20-2006, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

for some reason my posts are getting double even tripple posted. Sorry for this waste of space.

Old 11-21-2006, 05:14 AM

the best of the best porters started with one head at some point, its you turn now, good luck young Jedi.

Modified by spicyEM1 at 2:52 PM 11/21/2006

Modified by spicyEM1 at 2:52 PM 11/21/2006
Old 11-21-2006, 05:55 AM

Default Re: DIY Port and polish.... (spicyEM1)

IMO someone looking to do small ammount of port work can read up on things and do it, nothing major nothing drastic,there are many DIY port articals
Old 11-22-2006, 09:21 AM

im not going for some stage 6 p&p.... just wanted to open it up a bit... which i already have.... hope it didnt hurt the motor... kinna wish i wudda read before experementing on a gsr head... i guess we will be able to tell on the dyno since the head was already dtno'd b4.
Old 11-22-2006, 09:25 AM
something different

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

read as much as you can, especially about porting your specific head. see what others have succeded with, get the right tools, and take your time doing it.

Old 11-22-2006, 09:36 AM

Default Re: (redzcstandardhatch)

rgr that.