Notices

Discussion question, tuning strategy for infinitly variable cam timing.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discussion question, tuning strategy for infinitly variable cam timing.

I've developed a grasp of tuning for static cam timing. I'm comfortable representing the information as two 2D tables. I'm not fully up to speed on 3D representation, but I'm familiar with it.

Now with a system like I-Vtec. Where you can dynamically adjust cam timing. It is obviously different from Vtec where you switch between two static cam profiles. What paramters do you adjust cam timing with.

I am envisioning a table (rpm vs map)that has
-injector pulse
-ignition advance
-advance/retard cam timing

I guess you could just treat these as just three different 2D maps, similar to the approach of two 2D maps.

I have more to say, but I'll leave it at now for now, so people can discuss and correct me where need be.
-PHiZ

Old 02-24-2004, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Discussion question, tuning strategy for infinitly variable cam timing. (PHiZ)

There are many ways to accomplish this.

The best thing to do is start with one camshaft setting and get an ACCURATE fuel curve for that setting.

Then, advancing or retarding the camshaft will simply move the fuel curve {because of the corresponding change in VE} up or down in the RPM range.

So, you could create a table to shift the fuel quantity {for a given MAP} up or down to match

or, you could build separate VE tables for each possible shift in Cam phasing.........

note: to say that the cam timing is INFINATELY adjustable isn't exactly accurate......we can probably modulate cam phasing by as little as 1/2 degree or so, but even if we could do it in increments that small, the dyno will likely not show much change in VE vs RPM.

Just my two cents

-Ben