DIRep972 and I Did AEBS Intake Manifold Install and Car Won't Start! Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIRep972 and I Did AEBS Intake Manifold Install and Car Won't Start! Help!!!!

OK so me and DIRep972 did my AEBS Intake Manifold install today. We took the old one off and replaced it with the new one and we double checked EVERYTHING. No vacuum leaks or anything is wrong with it. You go to start the car and it cranks, idles up to 1000 rpm and then just dies! Doesn't matter if you give it gas or not...just dies.

We checked the throttle positioning b/c we thought that it was too lose/tight causing the car not to idle, but that wasn't it. We thought the injector wires were misplaced causing them to fire out of order...but that wasn't it. Then we thought that the sensors weren't connected correctly, but they were. Then we thought that there wasn't enough fuel so we took off the FPR and turned the key to on and gas shot everywhere. Then we checked to see if the spark plugs were fouled. They were and we replaced them, but still nothing. Then we checked for spark....we had it.

Then I remembered that while I was taking the negative terminal off of the battery that the rachet had slipped out of my hand and hit the positive side causing a small spark earlier on in the install. So we checked ALL the fuses and they don't appear to be blown.

We have NO IDEA what is going on at this point! I am temped to just go to Autozone and buy ALL brand new fuses and just replace them all b/c it sounds like the car wants to kick over because it's getting fuel and all, but just keeps dying. ANY Helpful advice is needed as to I am supposed to be to work on Saturday @ 3:00PM.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIRep972 and I Did AEBS Intake Manifold Install and Car Won't Start! Help!!!! (Bulldogg83)

Check your ground by the thermostat. Does it start everytime but dies right after?
Or sometimes, won't start at all?
Old 10-17-2003, 11:14 PM

Default Re: DIRep972 and I Did AEBS Intake Manifold Install and Car Won't Start! Help!!!! (TurboTegB18c)

Checked all the grounds and they are still all there. The only one that isn't on there is the one up by the front of the car by the ac that attaches to the valve cover....haven't had that one on for like 8 months, but we didn't even touch any of the ground wires tonight....

It starts to fire up, but then dies....more like sputters....sometimes it will want to start, but then it seems like it's backfiring b/c we'll hear a pop noise or one time a little gas shot out of the throttle body....
Old 10-17-2003, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIRep972 and I Did AEBS Intake Manifold Install and Car Won't Start! Help!!!! (Bulldogg83)

make sure you are using the correct throttlebody gasket.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:47 PM

Default Re: DIRep972 and I Did AEBS Intake Manifold Install and Car Won't Start! Help!!!! (Willis)

Does it die imediatly if you try to rev it? I know it sounds stupid but maybe you have the tps and map plugs swapped.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:48 PM

Default Re: DIRep972 and I Did AEBS Intake Manifold Install and Car Won't Start! Help!!!! (Willis)

Did you hook the TPS and MAP wires up backwords? They use the same plug, and very easy to mix up.

BTW: The answer as to why your car wont start lies within your title....J/K Chris....
Old 10-17-2003, 11:51 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Willis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">make sure you are using the correct throttlebody gasket.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Make sure your TB gasket isn't on backwards.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIRep972 and I Did AEBS Intake Manifold Install and Car Won't Start! Help!!!! (InfamousRS)

Just blame it on Direp

Rob
Old 10-17-2003, 11:57 PM

Default Re: DIRep972 and I Did AEBS Intake Manifold Install and Car Won't Start! Help!!!! (rjardy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rjardy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just blame it on Direp

Rob</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well who else would we blame it on?

Let us know how you like that IM after you **** the plugs up right....what IM were you using before?
Old 10-18-2003, 01:30 AM

Default Re: DIRep972 and I Did AEBS Intake Manifold Install and Car Won't Start! Help!!!! (Jdm_Rice_Monster)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jdm_Rice_Monster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does it die imediatly if you try to rev it? I know it sounds stupid but maybe you have the tps and map plugs swapped.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 10-18-2003, 03:46 AM

Default Re: DIRep972 and I Did AEBS Intake Manifold Install and Car Won't Start! Help!!!! (Tofurky)

Did u completly clean the head form the old gasket material before puting on a new intake manifold gasket? that might cause it not to seal all the way and u might have a gap there and losing pressure....

also check to make sure u put ur injecotrs and fuel stuff back on correctly..
Old 10-18-2003, 04:07 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bulldogg83 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It starts to fire up, but then dies....more like sputters....sometimes it will want to start, but then it seems like it's backfiring b/c we'll hear a pop noise or one time a little gas shot out of the throttle body....</TD></TR></TABLE>

My friend had that kind of thing happen on his B16 and it was the distributor(bad ignitor) of all things. Made the same pop noise out of the tb. Of course most of the time the car would not crank over at all.
Old 10-18-2003, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: DIRep972 and I Did AEBS Intake Manifold Install and Car Won't Start! Help!!!! (greekspeed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by greekspeed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did u completly clean the head form the old gasket material before puting on a new intake manifold gasket? that might cause it not to seal all the way and u might have a gap there and losing pressure....

also check to make sure u put ur injecotrs and fuel stuff back on correctly..</TD></TR></TABLE>
If there was a gap there, hed be GAINING pressure(IMs are in vaccum, and with a huge leak, it would be vacuous anymore) and bouncing off the rev limiter...
Old 10-18-2003, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

did you ever get it fixed
Old 10-18-2003, 07:52 AM

Default Re: DIRep972 and I Did AEBS Intake Manifold Install and Car Won't Start! Help!!!! (espanol)

ok ok ok......

as far as the TPS and Map sensor goes we know that they aren't on backwards b/c my previous map sensor harness was cracked and zip tied on for a stupid reason that I don't feel like getting into, but DIRep972 brought me another harness and I rewired in. And it's only three different colored wires so we know that I didn't do that wrong...

My throttle body gasket was fine when we took it off so we reused it, and we are pretty sure it's on the correct way, but if it was on backwards would it really cause THIS much trouble?

Head was cleaned and everything was off of it. Actually the old intake gasket stuck to the old intake manifold and not one piece was on the head.

All the injectors are on correctly b/c they are wired in length to where on certain injector clips could go to certain injectors and the only two possible ones that we could have mismatched would have been cylinder 2 and 3....we switched them and the same **** was happening.....

Would the distributor go bad like that from the pos/neg touching accidentally from the battery? The wierd thing is that 2 hours before we did the install the car was running just fine and now nada....
Old 10-18-2003, 07:53 AM

oh yeah....we also checked for spark and we're getting that....would we get spark if the distibutor was bad????
Old 10-18-2003, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

tow that **** up here..
Old 10-18-2003, 08:11 AM

Default Re: DIRep972 and I Did AEBS Intake Manifold Install and Car Won't Start! Help!!!! (espanol)

where u located?
Old 10-18-2003, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

vsv sucka...lol
Old 10-18-2003, 08:57 AM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes I am totally stumped on this. It cranks over every single time but dies w/ in one seconed. Even if u floor the gas it still dies.

I don't know about the TB gasket being on wrong, thats a pretty strait forward task but we can always double check it.

I think it has to do w/ fuel. I know its getting fuel cause we have a full tank and when we took out the plugs they were black. Not soaked in fuel but just enough from trying to start it 20 times. We changed the plugs. The fuel pump is priming, we are getting spark, the throttle cable is tight, the tb is working properly, we have the IAC hooked up, have the TPS and MAP sensors hooked up in the right places No apparent vacum leaks, everything looks strait. Went through and inspected every single fuse and all of them appear to be ok. I am thinking fuel pump relay is not keeping the fuel pump running after we start it. any ideas?
Old 10-18-2003, 09:06 AM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Re: DIRep972 and I Did AEBS Intake Manifold Install and Car Won't Start! Help!!!! (DIRep972)

my vote is fuel problem. double check the fuel pressure regulator. take it off make sure there are no restrictions. also try a different FPR.

crazy thing to do would be to take the fpr off and turn the car on and have the pump prime. this should shoot gas out the FPR mounting hole. not good, but you'd know the fuel wasnt being restricted somewhere like the up near the filter.

double check the banjo bolt too. and did you put the crush washer in properly where the damper is on the end of the fuel rail?

good luck.
Old 10-18-2003, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIRep972 and I Did AEBS Intake Manifold Install and Car Won't Start! Help!!!! (DIRep972)

from what bulldog described it might be electrical..like maybe the main relay went out or the eld is screwed!!
Old 10-18-2003, 09:09 AM
Smarter than you

Default Re: DIRep972 and I Did AEBS Intake Manifold Install and Car Won't Start! Help!!!! (falconGSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by falconGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
crazy thing to do would be to take the fpr off and turn the car on and have the pump prime. this should shoot gas out the FPR mounting hole. not good, but you'd know the fuel wasnt being restricted somewhere like the up near the filter.
good luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

we did that and it shot fuel out pretty nicely no restriction there.
Old 10-18-2003, 09:12 AM
Smarter than you

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by espanol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">from what bulldog described it might be electrical..like maybe the main relay went out or the eld is screwed!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am leaning towards main relay but will the pump still prime if it is bad? what is eld?
Old 10-18-2003, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sometimes..well see eld= electronic load detector

Quick Reply: DIRep972 and I Did AEBS Intake Manifold Install and Car Won't Start! Help!!!!