Direct Port water injection?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 10:21 AM
mrx
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Direct Port water injection?!

Hi,

i searched over two hours on the net allready for a direct port water injection... but it seems that this is not very popular... why?

does anyone knows such a thing?

Thanks
Malte.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:25 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Direct Port water injection?! (mrx)

just buy an aquamist system. one high pressure nozzle that atomizes the water enough to distribue it equally to all cylinders
Old 02-02-2005, 10:28 AM
mrx
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Direct Port water injection?! (wantboost)

yes, for sure the aquamist kit is good... but that was not the question...

why are we all runing direct port fuel injection and not a huge injector befor the throttle body? because its better...

so i think a direct port water injection would be also better because water (like fuel) don't want to go turns ;-)
i don't say that the other method don't work... yes it work but i'am seeking for a better solution...

maybe its also ok not to buy a kit and make it diy but i can't find any solenoids that are fast enough for water... expect the aquamist one but thats very expensive if you have to buy 4 of these...

Best greards
Malte.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:46 PM

buy the thread tap and four .4 nozzles from aquamist as well as some hose 2 "Y" fittings, get the solenoid from snowperformance.net, pump from ebay, hobbs boost pressure switch on ebay, relay from radio shack. I was the man with alky/water injection setups I did a direct port injection setup, but honestly you will get the same if not better results from single port or two nozzles inbetween the runners. Even the .4 aquamist nozzles will probably be too much water for a honda if all the runners are tapped. My setup was going to be for race gas injection. Where the 4 nozzles would spray race gas when boost was present, but not wasting race gas when cruzing out of boost. Anyway i could talk about the subject forever, but hopefully the part list above will help you fabricate your system. good luck
Old 02-02-2005, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why are we all runing direct port fuel injection and not a huge injector befor the throttle body? because its better...</TD></TR></TABLE>

When dealing with fuel injectors for delivering fuel, we do that because it is better for idle quality and idle emissions. There is little difference otherwise.

I can make an argument for spraying before the TB, water stays with the air charge and distributes according to flow through the cylinders. Instead of proportional to fuel (crude) you end up with proportional to the air entering each cylinder. Since air inducted, not fuel injected, determines the power/heat produced, metering water in proportion to air makes better sense.

&lt;/devil's advocate&gt;

But, yeah, I'd run electronic or port water injection, over a traditional setup, on my car for a number of reasons. Mainly bragging rights and because it looks pimpy. I have some good info up on forum.pgmfi.org you can peruse, look in the theory section. You might want to talk to Daniel Nicoson about running one of his units, if they are for sale. His site is linked.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Direct Port water injection?! (J. Davis)

http://water.lovehorsepower.com/

http://water.lovehorsepower.com/FAQ.htm

and as stated above it would be way too much water direct port. also you would want it as close to your intercooler as possible. you would give the water more time for it to steam up. if you do direct port and spray too much water, it could possibly not steam and might hydrolock your engine. theres more on it if you search just water injection or alchohol injection.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Direct Port water injection?! (gldndrgn14)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gldndrgn14 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://water.lovehorsepower.com/

http://water.lovehorsepower.com/FAQ.htm </TD></TR></TABLE>

Those links are garbage and incorrect.

"The water reduces detonation by lowering the charge air temperature "

Water injection does not reduce charge temperatures significantly. The air simply passes through too quickly. A wet IAT reads erroneously, just like a wet thermometer - I can provide links to ICE masters thesis concerning IATs that read sub-ambient temps which is a thermodynamic impossibility. Droplets of water - which at no time vaporize in the charge pipe to any significant extent because there isn't remotely enough heat there to do so - cling to the IAT and cool it when they evaporate off the IAT. You ever heard of fuel "falling out" of suspension? Water does the same thing a hundred fold due to it's higher surface tension.

FYI, gasoline with it's lower latent heat of evaporation doesn't vaporize until it undergoes adabiatic heating during the compression stroke. If you paid more attention to fuel injector design and spray theory, you would know droplet size is critical in creating a more even burn. Droplets, by definition, are not vapor.

Furthermore, there is nothing dangerous about direct port injection unless you are an idiot. Intelligent people sit down and determine with basic high school physics what mass of water per mass of air is required to lower temps, and pick injector size and water pressure to achieve that. Such systems are normally slaved off of fuel injector pulse, and deliver a precise fraction of water for mass of fuel. No chance of hydrolock, stunna.