Default different trims of vortech questions

since its impossible to find the vortech v5 trim for b series
I was looking into other trims
what I understand they are made for different max rpm
so they have same turbine but different gearing

if I for example use a v9 trim how would that affect everything
I don't even know what it would affect

v5 SC is 3.45:1 ratio 52000 RPM 14 PSI 750 CFM 550 HP 76% 3.5" 2.5"
V9f not sure what ratio cant find it 52000 RPM 13.5 PSI 750 CFM 550 HP 72% 3.5" 2.5"
Old 09-16-2015, 03:31 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: different trims of vortech questions

Best bet is to contact Vortech directly.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:13 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So they can tell me i have to buy the v5 kit?
No thanks
Old 09-16-2015, 04:33 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Even in the mid-2000s when Honda Vortech systems were at their peak in sales and usability, no one went into the depth that you're trying to do in terms of changing compressor wheels to fit into other housings and kits. It was horribly expensive, performed only as a rebuild measure, and parts availability was even poorer than is currently.

So, yes, contacting VORTECH directly is pretty much your best shot in getting any remotely relevant answers to these abstract questions. No one's trying to be a dick, and.. I know you hate hearing it, but....it is what it is...

If you want answers, that's all you can do. Ask nicely, and you might not get a stump-style sales pitch answer.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:26 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I'm not changing compressor wheels. I just want to use different trim because the v5 is like a unicorn and impossible to find.
I see other trims for sale for reasonable prices just wanted to know how the different gearing will affect the boost levels
I already did that and got that exact answer that's why I'm asking here

I was gonna mount the v5 in place of AC with custom bracket but since I cant locate one I'm looking at other trims they seem to be similar and CCW just some have different gearing etc.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by raverx3m
I'm not changing compressor wheels. I just want to use different trim because the v5 is like a unicorn and impossible to find.
I see other trims for sale for reasonable prices just wanted to know how the different gearing will affect the boost levels
I already did that and got that exact answer that's why I'm asking here

I was gonna mount the v5 in place of AC with custom bracket but since I cant locate one I'm looking at other trims they seem to be similar and CCW just some have different gearing etc.
You can't change "Trims" without changing compressor wheels.. Perhaps you're referring to the actual housing, shaft assembly. etc...

Again, you gotta call Vortech. They have an entire new set of anomalies that have to be considered.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:23 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Yea from what i remember when the trim changes it's the wheel that changes. The rpm limit of the charger is determind by compressor wheel size as they have a finite range for safe operation. Supercharger rpm is determined mainly by pulley size, the gearing inside the unit multiplies the rpm of the input shaft to generate useful shaft speeds.

The reason I said contact Vortech (and ask for tech, they won't try to sell you things in the beginning) is because supercharging isn't very popular or widespread in the Honda community, especially centrifugal superchargers, so unless a member here has experience with donestic Vortech blower sizing the you'll likely never get the info you seek on this forum.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:17 PM

I get it now. Raverx3m is referring to the different compressor models as "trims" (in reference to "trim levels" like a Honda DX, LX, EX etc).

I just had to think of that for a while when re-reading the context of his inquiry. My answer wouldn't change, as the housings and wheels are specifically machined to one another, but I thought it would be at least fair to ensure that he was clear with his question.

Vortech Models V-1 to V-28 etc

Vortech Compressor comparison sheet

For B-series, the B16 (2000 Civic SI) only came with a V-5 SQ, while the GS-R / Type R and LS had the V-5 G-trim only. no one really interchanged over the years. This was because they had C.A.R.B. 50 state legality, and did not want to offer design changes to allow switching so they could keep their C.A.R.B status

B16A2 Vortech Kit Manual
B18C1/5 and B18B manual

Here's the impeller speed calculator for your heart's content
Vortech Impeller speed Calculator

Raverx3m, for future reference, when you refer to trim in the Forced Induction forum, that means something different, as in the calculated difference in diameter between inducer and exducer of the compressor and exhaust wheels. ok?

Last edited by TheShodan; 09-17-2015 at 04:45 PM.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:11 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

yea lol mah bad I thought vortech refered to them as different trims also
sorry so sorry much confuse

Old 09-17-2015, 05:19 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

ok so now that I got the "trim" right lol

what I mean is if I use the v9f/g instead of v5f/g

I understand that different gears will make the turbine reach max speed faster since they are designed to max out at lower rpm

but with adjustment of pulleys I should be able to get it where I need rpm wise

what I mean is the size of the turbine. how will that affect the poweband??
will it still be linear like with a v5 or will is get to fool boost quicker because of more cfm from bigger turbine?

lets forget the gearbox for a second.

what I'm asking is the size of the turbine and how it will affect the output.
I know theres something about this for turbos but I don't know what type of keywords to search for.
the size of turbo? vs powerband? would that apply since this is essentially a turbo with a gearbox?
Old 09-17-2015, 06:12 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

A centrifugal supercharger doesn't make it's maximum rpm or peak boost until the maximum rpm of the engine. That's why virtually all centrifugal setups have no lowend and is also why they need took off in the Honda world. They are strictly airflow vs rpm systems. Unlike turbochargers that are driven independently of crankshaft speed that will reach a set pressure level and maintain that pressure across the rpm range.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:02 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I know I'm not trying to set records
I just have a crazy idea and I want to do it even though I know its not the best power compared to a turbo setup.

I just like the feeling of that linear power increase vs surprise buttseks turbo spool feel
I usualy don't even race anyone just go through gears when theres no cars around

I just cant wrap my head around this whole turbine size and stuff
I can calculate the pulley size vs rpm all day but I still don't understand how the actuall blower size will affect power band
for example if I get a blower that puts out more cfm at same speed would that mean that It will act more like a turbo where it will be too big for the engine and just reach max boost much quicker and blowoff valve would keep it at max boost set by it?
do you have a good read about turbo sizes that explain how they affect the boost level vs rpm and stuff?
I don't know what I'm looking for I have no keywords for forced induction world lol

ps: by turbine I mean the compressor lol I'm searching as we speak
Old 09-18-2015, 01:16 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

It's really based on the blower rpm vs airflow/pressure ratio. Vortech *should* have something resembling a compressor map however I don't know if they will make them public as most companies consider them confidential