Notices

400WHP D16Z6. Questions. Searched FAQ!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400WHP D16Z6. Questions. Searched FAQ!

Gentlemen, I have decided to turbocharge a d16z6. I want to achieve at least 400whp. I was looking thru the turbo faqs and found a setup I like. However the description of his modifications were vague in some areas. This setup is by Ar Fab: precision sc32. I tried to find this turbocharger, but I couldn't. Would a 5431e mfs do the job? Also he didn't state trim, ar ratio, or psi he was using. JE/SRP pistons. He didn't specify which exact piston he was using. Maybe dished? The valve train. He just said he used ferrea. Ferrea sell a few different kinds of valves, springs and retainers. He used a tial wastegate and bov. Which size wastegate? 38mm? Which bov?

Also a few more questions. This is a ROUGH idea on how I plan to build this engine. I have never built an engine before however I am very mechanically inclined. I'm going to buy a bare block. I'm going to be sure the deck is square and make sure everything is to spec. Do I need to bore a used block? Can I just hone it and ream the ridges? Once I have the block prepared, I will purchase the crankshaft, thrust bearings, main bearings, and big end bearings. Stock crank, oem or acl bearings. I haven't made up my mind yet on bearings, help me decide. Eagle h beam rods and vitara or je pistons. Like the bearings I haven't decided which piston to choose. Again please help. The cylinder head I will be sure is flat and true. I don't know what all he had done to the cylinder head. I'm hoping maybe someone knows more about it? Cometic hg? Hes using a hondata s200. I don't fully understand the tuning aspect. I need help figuring out the ecu and engine management. He also said he used a stock cam and gear. He dynoed at 407hp and 387tq. ARP hardware all around. Stock sleeves. Of course new gaskets, filters, all those things.

Alright I think that just about sums up my questions and concerns.. I'm new to boost so please don't be hard on me, I searched a lot of the faq for the past few days, it's A LOT of information to read and understand. Thanks guys!
Old 08-08-2015, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 400WHP D16Z6. Questions. Searched FAQ!

Buh buh buh bump! Please?
Old 08-08-2015, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Go to dso and look at any of my build threads.

A genuine 50 trim turbo or bigger. The bigger the better. Hotside must be .62AR or bigger... a decent cam, a valve job, valve springs (9000rpm - 10000rpm), 9 to 10:1 forged pistons, ARP head studs, long runner turbo manifold, 3" exhaust or bigger, 3" charge pipes, Edelbrock/skunk2 or better intake manfiold.

400whp all day. Upgrade genuine garret 50 trim to a 6262+ and you are making 500whp all day.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There was just a thread I saw bumped the other day for the 400+hp vitara builds
Go check it out and I'm sure you'll get some ideas there, you should also talk to ek9_beast I believe is his username, not sure if he has a build log for it but he has a 400+hp d16.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys... I will definitely research some more
Old 08-08-2015, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a build just over 400whp and one just under, then a third that is barely making 300whp. All d16 builds. How much money do you have to spend and do you race this car or is it a street car? My cars are all full interior so if your one for the street/strip here and there I have a nice, fairly cheap setup and a little more expensive setup dialed in nicely. My vitara setup could've easily made 400whp but I also want my cars to stay together. I'm going on years 2, just over year 1 and a fresh build(less than a month). I'm far from a know it all about d series but I live and die by them so answer those two important questions and I'll help guide you
Old 09-17-2015, 01:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright gents, my apologies for not responding.. Been super busy with a new job. While I was away, I changed my goal to 500hp. I'm not rolling in money, I'll have to save for the really expensive parts, but I want to do it right. I also don't mind building the engine slowly. So (sort of) money is no object. To give u an idea of my budget, I can't afford a $1500 turbo, that'd take wayyy too long to save haha! I still want to stay single cam, eagle rods blah blah all that stuff. Precision says that a 5431e turbo is good for 500hp. Would that be fine or would I need to step up to a 5531 which is rated at 520hp? Also, with my new goal, I need to rethink my camshaft, manifold, bov, and wastegate choices, right? Any suggestions? Sorry guys for changing **** up haha I'm just lookin to build a killer street car
Old 09-17-2015, 01:39 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<p>Sure, go with Precision, if you want to be replacing it after a declined warranty claim because of &quot;oil contamination.&quot; &nbsp;There is a LOT that goes into a 500 WHP street car. &nbsp;If you can't afford a $1500 turbo, you might want to rethink your goals, or at the very least sit down, make a spreadsheet, and figure out how much everything is going to cost you. &nbsp;You need to get your head around how much this idea is going to cost you.</p><p>Also, remember that &quot;rated for 500 HP&quot; doesn't mean you'll make 500 HP with it on a dyno. &nbsp;HP and WHP are two different things. &nbsp;Add 10% for a safe buffer. &nbsp;If you want 500 WHP, get a turbo that supports 550-600 HP. &nbsp;If you want this out of a D series, get ready to make some sacrifices in driveability.</p>
Old 09-17-2015, 01:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Drivability becomes a huge factor at 500whp on a d16. It's not gonna be cheap. Precision has a horrible track record with our application. Lastly, 500whp, street car, fwdand cheap don't mix. Do you realize what it takes to get a 400whp civic to hook yet a 500whp fwd car. I think you need to do a little more research before you start changing hp numbers as if it's just that easy.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, I was under the impression that precision made a good turbo.. On the subject of money, I don't want to cheap out, I could buy a $1500 turbo if I truly wanted to, it would just take more time. What sort of drivability issues would I run into? It's funny because I've been wondering that exact thought and searched the issue but nothing came of it... If 400hp is really the better choice, I'm all for it. But first tell me the drivability issues of a 500hp d.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by beat ignition
Wow, I was under the impression that precision made a good turbo.. On the subject of money, I don't want to cheap out, I could buy a $1500 turbo if I truly wanted to, it would just take more time. What sort of drivability issues would I run into? It's funny because I've been wondering that exact thought and searched the issue but nothing came of it... If 400hp is really the better choice, I'm all for it. But first tell me the drivability issues of a 500hp d.
To me the turbo itself is cheap considering all the other things your gonna need to make everything work right, Have you considered a budget for Engine management, Fueling components, traction control? the more horse power you have the more stuff you will need to make the power reliably and put it to the ground: Tires, Boost by gear, traction bars, bigger injectors etc these are things that are gonna be very important at 500 HP also in general your gonna lose pretty much all low and mid range power so its not very "streetable" wont be able to use your power without redlining the motor . Looking back at things im spending alot more money on "little things" compared to the turbo kit basics IE: turbo waste gate, bov
Old 09-18-2015, 03:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by camdizawg
To me the turbo itself is cheap considering all the other things your gonna need to make everything work right, Have you considered a budget for Engine management, Fueling components, traction control? the more horse power you have the more stuff you will need to make the power reliably and put it to the ground: Tires, Boost by gear, traction bars, bigger injectors etc these are things that are gonna be very important at 500 HP also in general your gonna lose pretty much all low and mid range power so its not very "streetable" wont be able to use your power without redlining the motor . Looking back at things im spending alot more money on "little things" compared to the turbo kit basics IE: turbo waste gate, bov
This is definitely true. I think I spent like $450 on a BNIB .57 Garrett turbo that should top out around 400 wHP. I then spent like $600 on a 3" stainless steel exhaust. The turbo really doesn't even scratch the surface of what you will spend to get the car on the street.

Also, I would make a list of things you are thinking about. For instance:

Turbo 'blah'
WG 'blah'
etc
etc

It makes it easier to pick through.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, it sounds like id be better off with 400whp, and stick with that first setup I found in the faq.. Ill switch to a Garrett turbo as well. Thanks for the replies guys..