Notices

Difference between a Greddy kit and a Drag kit....

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between a Greddy kit and a Drag kit....

i'm a newbie at this...and all i know is that the greddy kit is legal.

the kit will be installed into a 2000 prelude with stock internals, and it will be the only modification done onto the car. how many pounds/cfm will it hold an what are the differences between both kits? thanks!

-ray
Old 04-17-2003, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Difference between a Greddy kit and a Drag kit.... (Cowboy)

Ray,

The Greddy kit is CARB exempt but does not include the intercooler, BOV, or fuel pump.

The DRAG kit is not CARB exempt but is complete.
Old 04-17-2003, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Difference between a Greddy kit and a Drag kit.... (ben@importparts.com)

greddy comes with a really shitty exhaust manifold & an 18g turbo with an internal wastegate

there are better kits that come with the t3/4 turbo out there than the frag kit also
Old 04-17-2003, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Difference between a Greddy kit and a Drag kit.... (b18cya)

I beg to differ but everyone has a preference.
Old 04-17-2003, 01:57 PM

The motor will be able to support both kits. The stock psi on both kits will be around 5.5-6.5 psi which can't even really hurt a little d16y8 (my cars motor) let alone a prelude's. If you start turning up the boost and going crazy though, good luck!
Old 04-17-2003, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Difference between a Greddy kit and a Drag kit.... (ben@importparts.com)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ben@importparts.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I beg to differ but everyone has a preference.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea, i should preface my statement by saying the greddy kits isnt good if you plan on running a lot of boost & heavily rebuilding the motor.

otherwise, its a good bolt-on kit
Old 04-17-2003, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Difference between a Greddy kit and a Drag kit.... (b18cya)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18cya &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yea, i should preface my statement by saying the greddy kits isnt good if you plan on running a lot of boost & heavily rebuilding the motor.

otherwise, its a good bolt-on kit</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's better.
Old 04-18-2003, 10:04 AM

Default Re: Difference between a Greddy kit and a Drag kit....

thanks for the replies...

i'm not planning on boosting a lot or looking forward to rebuilding my engine. all i want is the extra punch a turbo can provide. but after reading b18cya's comment of the shitty exhaust manifold that greddy makes, i'm weighing more towards the drag side (unless it's a really minor defect).

also, what are the necessary electronic modifications i need to do so that the turbo can run at it's peak performance without hurting too much of the stock motor? i've heard that if i were use the many "temperory band-aids" such as fuel controller/boost controller/etc., i could easily tack on couple hundred dollars on a Link Engine Management System and get a complete kit without the hassel of wiring and such. What do you guys think?
Old 04-18-2003, 12:30 PM

My friend has the kit on his car, and I must say that it is a fun car to drive. It actually brings the motor alive a lot. However, as already said the manifold that come with the kit is not to nice. It turns into a bottle neck and is very small. If you can go with a t3/t4 setup on your car I would, just because you will get more power. If it helps I think he layed down like 235 or so at the wheels, which is not to to badm but I think it could be better with a drag kit, it is a lot less restrictive but it also is not as legal. Have you thought about a Jackson Supercharger? They work real nice on the car and are good if you just want to bolt something on....Good luck
Old 04-18-2003, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Difference between a Greddy kit and a Drag kit.... (civicqm)

thank's for your imput. i have a few friends with Jackson superchargers. i was thinking about turbo'in the car to compare with my friend's supercharged 'lude. mostly likely i will be going for the turbo, but the only thing i don't like about it is the warm down i need to give my engine after driving it.

what type of engine management does your friend have?
Old 04-18-2003, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cowboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the only thing i don't like about it is the warm down i need to give my engine after driving it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

just get a turbo timer
Old 04-18-2003, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Difference between a Greddy kit and a Drag kit.... (dmotoguy)

i'm am aware of what a turbo timer can do... i just don't really like the idea of leaving the car running for a minute +

for example, ariving home from partying late at night, drive into the garage, but not being able to close the garage door because of exhaust fumes being trapped inside the house. so i have to wait for the engine to shut off before i close the garage door

but i guess it's something that needs to be compromised when getting a turbo
Old 04-18-2003, 09:52 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Location: 99th level of hell, where all roads only go straight, where curves go to die. Houston Texas

You can't wait 1 minute?
Old 04-18-2003, 09:54 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Location: 99th level of hell, where all roads only go straight, where curves go to die. Houston Texas
Default Re: Difference between a Greddy kit and a Drag kit.... (Snafu-Si)

Besides, if you just drive NORMALLY before you come to your final destination. Just drive NORMAL and try to stay out of boost for the last couple of mins before park the car, it's actually enough cool down for to just park and go. The extra minute is just peace of mind.

Or if you paranoid like me.. and.. believe me.. I'm paranoid, wait 2 mins. Sometimes I wait 5-10 mins, but that's only cause I'm playing my Gameboy in my car and I forget about the time.

In that sense, save the money you spend from buying a turbo timer, and use that that money to buy a GameBoy SP, there you go, that's your turbo timer.
Old 04-19-2003, 10:00 AM
New User

Default Re: Difference between a Greddy kit and a Drag kit.... (Snafu-Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Snafu-Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Besides, if you just drive NORMALLY before you come to your final destination. Just drive NORMAL and try to stay out of boost for the last couple of mins before park the car, it's actually enough cool down for to just park and go. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i think that's better way to do it instead of turbo timer !
imaging in a 40c degree weather and your can is out side idling , i dont think it helps to cool down... just take it easy b4 you reach the place, while you drive the wind can help much better
Old 05-02-2003, 12:08 PM

Default Re: Difference between a Greddy kit and a Drag kit.... (GettaluvR)

any more thoughts?

thanks
Old 05-02-2003, 01:36 PM

i my drag kit..