Notices

Difference with aem map sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Difference with aem map sensors?

Guys I see aem selling 2 types of map sensors, 1 made of brass and the other made of stainless steel, brass is alot cheaper than the stainless steel, other then material is there other differences?
I'm thinking of getting the brass one, i wanna know b4 I purchase it
Old 09-17-2018, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Difference with aem map sensors?

What's the price on each. Never heard anyone run them in my state. A new homdata 4bar map sensor is 100 shipped. And they're reliable.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont think the sensor itself is made of metal but not exaclty sure about exactly how they work....My OMni 3 bar made of plastic works just fine tho

heres the statement directfry from AEM which bassically says to buy the stainless one unless your only hooking it up to a gauge. are you replacing the factory MAP or is this hooking up to a gauge?

Which Pressure Sensor is right for you?

There are many different tools that can be used for measurement, but the degree of accuracy is dependent upon the tool. For example, a ruler can measure distance with a good degree of accuracy, but for a more precise measurement a caliper should be used. The difference between a brass pressure sensor and a stainless steel pressure sensor is similar if we think about it in these terms:

Brass Pressure Sensor = Ruler
Use a Brass Pressure Sensor where you need a good reference to what pressure is being seen.
Example: Brass Pressure Sensor used for a Boost Gauge – Reference/Information for knowing manifold pressure, not for ECU calibration.

Stainless Pressure Sensor = Caliper
Use a SS Pressure Sensor where you need exact details of the pressure.
Example: MAP Sensor information for the ECU – Calibration/crucial information for the ECU
Old 09-18-2018, 03:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2kdrift
I dont think the sensor itself is made of metal but not exaclty sure about exactly how they work....My OMni 3 bar made of plastic works just fine tho

heres the statement directfry from AEM which bassically says to buy the stainless one unless your only hooking it up to a gauge. are you replacing the factory MAP or is this hooking up to a gauge?

Which Pressure Sensor is right for you?

There are many different tools that can be used for measurement, but the degree of accuracy is dependent upon the tool. For example, a ruler can measure distance with a good degree of accuracy, but for a more precise measurement a caliper should be used. The difference between a brass pressure sensor and a stainless steel pressure sensor is similar if we think about it in these terms:

Brass Pressure Sensor = Ruler
Use a Brass Pressure Sensor where you need a good reference to what pressure is being seen.
Example: Brass Pressure Sensor used for a Boost Gauge – Reference/Information for knowing manifold pressure, not for ECU calibration.

Stainless Pressure Sensor = Caliper
Use a SS Pressure Sensor where you need exact details of the pressure.
Example: MAP Sensor information for the ECU – Calibration/crucial information for the ECU
I'm not hooking it up to a Guage, im using it for the ecu, i have on the stainless aem map sensor now but it's not reading accurately, wen the car is off its showing almost 2psi of boost, so I wanted to replace it with another aem, but I didn't wanna buy back the expensive stainless steel one if the brass one cud work just the same
Old 09-18-2018, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well according to AEM they do no work the same, unfortunately I dont have any experience with AEM so I cant speak to the quality. as stated most of us use omni or hondata sensor, didnt even know AEM makes these lol
Old 09-18-2018, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well according to AEM they do no work the same, unfortunately I dont have any experience with AEM so I cant speak to the quality. as stated most of us use omni or hondata sensor, didnt even know AEM makes these lol
If i go with omni I wud have to get back the plug and wire it as it's the aem on the car now
Old 09-18-2018, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea I saw that AEm is a completely different style thats why most go with a stock fitment ...how long did that aem last? / are you sure you have it stup with correct calibration settins?

Last edited by 2kdrift; 09-18-2018 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea I saw that AEm is a completely different style thats why most go with a stock fitment ...how long did that aem last? / are you sure you have it stup with correct calibration settins?
I got the car with the aem on it, but it's been on d car for quite a few years, my tuner says it's setup properly but I'm gonna double check
Old 09-19-2018, 04:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I have an AEM (have had them for years) and Im not impressed. When they get hot they start to fail. I even have mine remote mounted to the firewall. Have had a Brass, and stainless. They both 'work' for use as a MAP sensor.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

racegrade map/psig sensors have 3 an nipples on them