Notices

Diagnostic help please, headgasket and rings?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnostic help please, headgasket and rings?

I had a turbo go bad on me a few month ago. I just now got the car put back together with a new turbo (used turbo). The turbo blew the oil seal on the compressor side and I had all kinds of oil in my intercooler and charge pipes. I drove it once or twice before I realized I had a bunch of oil under the hood of hte car below the turbo manifold. I thought my return line was leaking somehow. I had several different problem before and I thought one had re-occured. So I took it apart and looked for a problem, found a bunch of oil around my exhaust manifold. I couldn't figure otu where is was coming from though. Cleaned it up and put the turbo and manifold back on. I checked compression and got 185 0 100 185. I put a cap of oil in 3 and it went from 0 to about 85. Now I'm pretty sure I didn't hurt the ringlads on this motor. Its been monitored with a wideband from day one and i've kept it in the 11-12 a/f all the time. With the highest being 12.5 and the lowest being 10.5 ever. I know I've heard many times that if you put a cap of oil in the cylinder and compression test it and it goes up then the rings are bad, but could this cause the compression to go up with a bad headgasket? What usually causes headgaskets to blow?

Is it abnormal for the headgasket to go but not see oil in the coolant, cause I didn't see any?

What headgasket would be a good replacement? Motor is stock.

Also....what would be a good guidline of what to do when I start working on this? Take the head off and check the gasket first obviously. Then if I do see the gasket is bad, how do I know if the rings/ringlands are done? I had the pan off since the turbo wen bad and there were no shaving in the pan or anything, so I"m assuming the rings aren't bad but I don't want to put a new headgasket on for nothing if the motor is bad.

Modified by hoggy at 3:49 PM 6/23/2004
Old 06-23-2004, 07:14 PM

Default Re: Diagnostic help please, headgasket and rings? (hoggy)

to the top
Old 06-24-2004, 12:58 PM

somebody, please help?
Old 06-24-2004, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pull the head. Check the headgasket thoroughly. If it's OK, check the sleeves for scarring. and the pistons for holes

The only way to tell if it's ring lands is to flip the motor over, undo the #3 rod bolts, and push the rod/piston out the top.

I had very similar simptoms - sleeves were perfect too, but once I pulled #3 out, the ringlands were broke in 5 places.....
Old 06-24-2004, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Diagnostic help please, headgasket and rings? (Turboteggy)

How do I tell if the headgasket is bad. I know this is probably pretty obvious once you have the head off. But I've never had a head off before.
Old 07-21-2004, 08:06 PM

On my D15 I had a blown headgasket but my syptoms included water overflowing in my coolant tank and of course overheating. So yea you can have a blown headgasket without seeing a milkshake in your oil or vice versa.