Notices

Del sol Dual Core vs. ebay aluminum radiator? which is better?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Del sol Dual Core vs. ebay aluminum radiator? which is better?

Is the del sol dual core comparable to heat disappation to a cheap ebay aluminum radiator?

Just trying to lower temps on my SOHC turbo at idle.

I can get a del sol new dual core for $103 locally in stock or I could order an ebay aluminum for around $100 also and then wait around for a week or two.

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with this.
THANKS!
Old 10-31-2006, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Del sol Dual Core vs. ebay aluminum radiator? which is better? (brookliner7)

Ebay aluminum is way better than dual core.

Although you shouldn't need a better radiator. You have some other problems if your car is overheating or running hot at idle.

Is your fan working?

too much rust/calcium deposits in radiator/motor?

Thermostat working?

Headgasket okay?

Low on oil?

Old 10-31-2006, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del sol Dual Core vs. ebay aluminum radiator? which is better? (F20Cteg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by F20Cteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ebay aluminum is way better than dual core.

Although you shouldn't need a better radiator. You have some other problems if your car is overheating or running hot at idle.

Is your fan working? Yup, comes on.

too much rust/calcium deposits in radiator/motor? Looks pretty clean, been flushed.

Thermostat working? Just replaced it two days ago.

Headgasket okay? Compression is between 165-170 all the way across.

Low on oil? Just changed oil with synthetic two weeks ago. </TD></TR></TABLE>

anymore suggestions?
Old 10-31-2006, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del sol Dual Core vs. ebay aluminum radiator? which is better? (brookliner7)

Dual core &gt; aluminum. It takes alot more heat to warm up copper than aluminum the only benefit I could see by having the aluminum rad is that it has a larger capacity.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

id take an oem over an ebay radiator anyday.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del sol Dual Core vs. ebay aluminum radiator? which is better? (American.Graffiti)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by American.Graffiti &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the only benefit I could see by having the aluminum rad is that it has a larger capacity.</TD></TR></TABLE>

BINGO!

If you're going to get an aluminum radiator, it's wiser to just go with a brand name. When I was looking for radiators, I found a used KOYO on Ebay. It sold for $165, or something ridiculously low. Out of your two options, I'd say go with the Del Sol unit. Good luck.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:23 PM

Default Re: (dunkd)

NEVER!!! clearly a maniac...oem vs race parts...not a fair comparison..put a oem radiator vs a aluminum rad in aturbocharged and compare the temp difference. they say nothing beats oem when it comes on to honda....but this is not the case with radiators....
Old 10-31-2006, 11:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it run hot at idle? I would look into a better fan. If that doesn't work then possibly something else with the cooling system is wrong.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del sol Dual Core vs. ebay aluminum radiator? which is better? (SOHC_MShue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_MShue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does it run hot at idle? I would look into a better fan. If that doesn't work then possibly something else with the cooling system is wrong. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yup, hot at idle. oh yeah, I forgot to mention, it will only run hot at idle after you have DRIVEN it for a little bit.

when it's in idle and I give it a little gas to raise the rpm, the temp starts to go down.

Old 11-01-2006, 11:00 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by brookliner7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yup, hot at idle. oh yeah, I forgot to mention, it will only run hot at idle after you have DRIVEN it for a little bit.

when it's in idle and I give it a little gas to raise the rpm, the temp starts to go down.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like you are low on coolant.

Old 11-01-2006, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Double Platinum Member

Default Re: Del sol Dual Core vs. ebay aluminum radiator? which is better? (F20Cteg)

Did you make sure to bleed all of the air out of the system after you changed the tstat? The smallest amount of air in there can cause the tstat to remain closed. If its only overheating at idle then i doubt it has anything to do with the radiator.

With that being said, i honestly dont see any problems with the ebay radiators. A friend of mine was using one on his boosted b20 and never ran into any problems. It kept the car cool after 10 back to back passes at the track(105+deg track temps). He sold the car a while back, but the new owner beats the hell out of it and has had no problems with overheating. The car is making 266hp at 10psi btw.

Good luck man
Old 11-01-2006, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del sol Dual Core vs. ebay aluminum radiator? which is better? (sCeRaXn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sCeRaXn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you make sure to bleed all of the air out of the system after you changed the tstat? The smallest amount of air in there can cause the tstat to remain closed. If its only overheating at idle then i doubt it has anything to do with the radiator.

With that being said, i honestly dont see any problems with the ebay radiators. A friend of mine was using one on his boosted b20 and never ran into any problems. It kept the car cool after 10 back to back passes at the track(105+deg track temps). He sold the car a while back, but the new owner beats the hell out of it and has had no problems with overheating. The car is making 266hp at 10psi btw.

Good luck man </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by F20Cteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds like you are low on coolant.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well, after I replaced the tstat, I filled it with coolant/water and left the cap of the radiator off, and let it idle for 15-20 minutes. The fan came on about four times and the coolant level would drop a little when it came on. I topped it off each time (it didn't need a lot) then put the cap on it.

is this not correct?
Old 11-01-2006, 04:09 PM

ive got a 40 ebay aluminum one and it seriously works too good. I live in WI and in the winter i cant ever even get up to temp.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (b18bEKcoupe)

I found a mishimoto rad on a bidding auction that closed at a weird hour when I was still awake. 94.00 shipped or something.

I have to wait forever to get to full temp and I have a 12" fan that I mounted as a pusher fan and that sucker works well.

I couldn't be happier. I made 3 or 4 back to back passes on the dyno and never even a spike in temp. Underhoods were a little high but time was limited. I made 10 passes at the dyno in a couple hours drove 25 miles and made about 16 passes down the 1/4 mile on a test and tune with only 20 miles on a swap and no problems whatsoever.
was only running crome, now I have crome pro put her down after 300 miles on the swap for turbo install.

Built it to beat on it.

Moral of story. I think you will be fine with ebay radiator but I recommend the mishi's
Old 11-02-2006, 06:18 AM

Default Re: (sauceja)

Those ebay alum. rads work great You dont get the bling bling of Fluidyne's polished with perfect welds etc but they work fantastic.Kinda like the OBX diff, a knock off that works
Old 11-02-2006, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pgmatt)

I had an ebay one on my lsvtec turbo making close to 450whp and it kept my car so cold i had to hard wire it to a switch only turn it on when i needed it otherwise my car would not heat up enough to cut vtec on.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How can the ebay radiator be BAD? If it doesnt leak and is really made of aluminum how can it be a piece of crap?
Everyone loves to yell "you get what you pay for" and "ebay is crap" and yes i agree to some point but some items a knockoff is fine.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (T-RO)

I pm'd about 3-4 people that I found running the Mishimoto alum radiator and not one bad feedback.

Im getting one for my setup.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sauceja &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I found a mishimoto rad on a bidding auction that closed at a weird hour when I was still awake. 94.00 shipped or something.

I have to wait forever to get to full temp and I have a 12" fan that I mounted as a pusher fan and that sucker works well.

I couldn't be happier. I made 3 or 4 back to back passes on the dyno and never even a spike in temp. Underhoods were a little high but time was limited. I made 10 passes at the dyno in a couple hours drove 25 miles and made about 16 passes down the 1/4 mile on a test and tune with only 20 miles on a swap and no problems whatsoever.
was only running crome, now I have crome pro put her down after 300 miles on the swap for turbo install.

Built it to beat on it.

Moral of story. I think you will be fine with ebay radiator but I recommend the mishi's</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ypu have any pics of it? I was thinking about picking one up from a sponsor on here, and would like to see if they actually do look better than the other ebay ones.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:05 AM

oem over ebay

fluidyne over oem

C&r=fluidyne
Old 11-03-2006, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BB6-213)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BB6-213 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ypu have any pics of it? I was thinking about picking one up from a sponsor on here, and would like to see if they actually do look better than the other ebay ones.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If I can make it home while it is still daylight I will take pictures. This is in an eg hatch with b series and I have about 8 inches easy from rad to tranny with pusher fan setup.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sauceja &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If I can make it home while it is still daylight I will take pictures. This is in an eg hatch with b series and I have about 8 inches easy from rad to tranny with pusher fan setup.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that would be awesome to see some pics, thanks man.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by brookliner7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

well, after I replaced the tstat, I filled it with coolant/water and left the cap of the radiator off, and let it idle for 15-20 minutes. The fan came on about four times and the coolant level would drop a little when it came on. I topped it off each time (it didn't need a lot) then put the cap on it.

is this not correct?</TD></TR></TABLE>
I think you are supposed to turn the heater all the way up to HOT and bleed the system out. That's what I did and let the fan come on about 4 times.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Del sol Dual Core vs. ebay aluminum radiator? which is better? (blaze the chemi)

Im rocking the ebay radiator! Its awesome...

liam
Old 11-03-2006, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del sol Dual Core vs. ebay aluminum radiator? which is better? (liam821)

Where did you get your fuel line from? Or did you build it yourself?

Quick Reply: Del sol Dual Core vs. ebay aluminum radiator? which is better?