Notices

Datalogging with Neptune

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Datalogging with Neptune

I plan on selling my Hondata and running the basic NepTune setup when I put my boost project back together in the spring.

But one thing I can't seem to figure out is how datalogging works with NepTune. I was over on HRTuning.com, and he gave me a link for their "digital dashboard" logger, but I can't get a straight answer on how I connect the ECU to my laptop.

I know it's probably a cable, but where does it attach to he ECU?

Is it similar to how HondaLogger connects? I don't see how it could be, because since I'm not going to be running RTP, there's no interface box. I guess what I'm getting at is do I need to keep my serial cable & KeySpan USB adapter when I sell my Hondata? Or will I need them for datalogging with NepTune?

Old 01-19-2008, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Datalogging with Neptune (B18C_EJ8)

Didn't get a straight answer? From me? I don't recall being asked this question recently, only for the software itself.

You can get the USB datalogging kit from xenocron/Moates which plugs right into the CN2 connector of the ECU. Some people have this working perfectly, some people are having connection issues and it seems to have to do with their laptops.

http://www.xenocron.com/catalo....html

OR

You could get a serial to TTL converter cable and plug that right into your keyspan.

You'll need the 5V RS232 to TTL model or the USB to TTL
http://www.superdroidrobots.co...id=13

One other option you have is to purchase the TunerView LCD. Not only will you be able to plug right in and see all of your data on a beautiful LCD, but you'll also be able to plug right into it and log through USB at high speed with the RTP software even if you have regular NepTune. This gives you better logging, better graphing, and better speeds, without having to buy an RTP to make changes.

http://www.hrtuning.com/pages/...w-lcd/

P.S. I just added this to the FAQ section of the website.

If you have any other questions, let me know.

Modified by HRTuning at 8:13 AM 1/19/2008
Old 01-19-2008, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My apologies... I could have sworn I asked how the connection was made, but I just went on your forum and you answered each & every question I asked in the thread I made in October.

Me = Dumbass.

Anyways. Great information. Going out to pull my Hondata right now.

Thank you very much.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B18C_EJ8)

It happens. No problem at all!
Old 01-19-2008, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you have a ballpark estimate on the dimensions of the TunerView LCD? Gotta figure out where I'm going to put it.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

6.5"x2.5"x2", fits right in the radio DIN with a little extra space for custom mounting (Like directional), but also has holes in the back for an optional suction cup mount or you can use those to mount it to any flat surface.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HRTuning)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HRTuning &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">6.5"x2.5"x2", fits right in the radio DIN with a little extra space for custom mounting (Like directional), but also has holes in the back for an optional suction cup mount or you can use those to mount it to any flat surface.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This wonderful device solves all of my problems. It eliminates my mess of serial cables and USB adapters, and no longer will I need to have my thousand dollar laptop sliding around on my seat. Just placed my pre-order!!
Old 01-19-2008, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received. Thank you.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Datalogging with Neptune (HRTuning)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HRTuning &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
One other option you have is to purchase the TunerView LCD. Not only will you be able to plug right in and see all of your data on a beautiful LCD, but you'll also be able to plug right into it and log through USB at high speed with the RTP software even if you have regular NepTune. </TD></TR></TABLE>

So just to bring this back, and to clarify, when I install the TunerView, I can ditch my serial cable & USB adapter & just jack right into the LCD from the laptop & I can datalog?

Old 02-22-2008, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Datalogging with Neptune (B18C_EJ8)

Yup. You'll be able to log at extremely fast speeds with the RTP software which will give you access to better graphing capabilities and even the ability to open up your calibration for map trace and a/f logging if your tuner gives it to you (You can create your own calibration to use for this purpose if he doesn't supply it).
Old 02-23-2008, 03:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome!
Old 02-25-2008, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im in the market for tuning software. ive been lookin at s300 and rtp. i really really like the ability to use the tunerview lcd. ive been searching for something like that for a long long time. can it display oil pressure and like water temp too? and where can i order the screen from? does the tunerview plug into the laptop or the rtp ecu?
Old 02-25-2008, 11:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (patrick4588)

dont forget about eCtune.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i just went rtp and im extremely happy with it. i know it can show coolant temp, i havent found oil pressure yet, i dont know if its in there
Old 02-26-2008, 04:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I run the RTP, I actually sold my S300 last year to buy the RTP. A bunch of people laughed at me at the time, but now with all the new great features coming from hrtuning, the RTP blows the S300 right out of the water IMO
Old 02-26-2008, 04:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blackeg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackeg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just went rtp and im extremely happy with it. i know it can show coolant temp, i havent found oil pressure yet, i dont know if its in there</TD></TR></TABLE>

I do not believe its in there, from what I remember the ECU/Engine only has a low oil pressure warning, not an actual pressure sensor.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by patrick4588 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">can it display oil pressure and like water temp too? and where can i order the screen from? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't think so, since those features aren't on the list at http://www.hrtuning.com/pages/...w-lcd

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by patrick4588 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does the tunerview plug into the laptop or the rtp ecu? </TD></TR></TABLE>

As stated above, the TunerView plugs into the ECU. Then, you plug your laptop into the TunerView if you wish to DataLog.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The RTP is definitely a solid tuning platform. Thanks for choosing NepTune.

If you have an RTP, the TunerView plugs right into it. If you don't, it plugs directly into your ECU.

There are 4 inputs you can add sensors to and configure, so yes you can add an oil pressure sensor. Hondas do not come with one of these from the factory, though.

The display is not available to order just yet, but will be very shortly.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:22 AM

sounds great! how do i setup the gauge to run accurately in the tunerview? is it just finding the voltage?
Old 02-26-2008, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yup, just find the voltages and real world values associated with them, enter that into the software, and it'll show you what you want to see.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:30 AM

sweet. now i need to find a local guy that can tune it!!
Old 02-26-2008, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HRTuning &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The RTP is definitely a solid tuning platform. Thanks for choosing NepTune.

If you have an RTP, the TunerView plugs right into it. If you don't, it plugs directly into your ECU.

There are 4 inputs you can add sensors to and configure, so yes you can add an oil pressure sensor. Hondas do not come with one of these from the factory, though.

The display is not available to order just yet, but will be very shortly. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Didn't mean to step on toes with my post above, just trying to help.

I didn't realize that there were additional inputs... Awesome though!
Old 02-26-2008, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by patrick4588 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sweet. now i need to find a local guy that can tune it!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

There's an authorized dealer in Savannah, but that may not be close enough to you. Carter Race is the name. They're excellent gentlemen to deal with.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C_EJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Didn't mean to step on toes with my post above, just trying to help.

I didn't realize that there were additional inputs... Awesome though!</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's no problem! I hadn't announced that yet.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HRTuning &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
It's no problem! I hadn't announced that yet.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This thing keeps getting better & better!

Glad I preordered!
Old 02-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C_EJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This thing keeps getting better & better!

Glad I preordered! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Those that did got a pretty decent discount.

Quick Reply: Datalogging with Neptune