Notices

Datalogging with Crome HELP. Can't get Laptop to conn to ECU.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Datalogging with Crome HELP. Can't get Laptop to conn to ECU.

Sup people,
I've posted this in pgmfi.org but they are slow to respond as usual. I thought I might get some answers here as well while I wait for my new cable.

I have a newer Dell notebook, so it doen't have a serial port. Here is a list of my current hardware:
-obd1 P06 converted for vtec, j12 clipped, 4 pin header installed on CN2
-superdroids RS232 to TTL cable
-serial to usb cable (ebay) w/ driver installed
-innovate lc-1 WB

This is what I've tried so far:
Connect the analog output 1 from WB to D14, connect the RS232 cable to the 4 pin header, connect the serial ports together, connect the usb side to the laptop.

Open Crome> open current bin file> remove checksum> apply Quck Datalogger RTP+
Settings> Tuner comm tab> PGMFI OBD1>38400 Baud>8 data bits>1 stop bits
Now I go to press "test connection" and it gives me a popup saying it cannot connect to the ecu. I also tried different com ports and all other comm ports say "comm port failed to open". But only comm port 4 gives me the "cannot connect to the ecu". What am I doing wrong?

I've followed all these steps with Shyboy's writeup in the Wiki : http://forum.pgmfi.org/viewtop...41818
Is it because I'm not using the Hulog or Hondalog from Moates? I know my serial to usb cable is functioning because the WB software that came with it is able to read the WB when it's plugged into the serial port. I'm going to try the Sanity Check with Freelog tomarrow and see what comes up. But untill I get this problem solved, I need your help guys.

Nick

Old 12-06-2005, 01:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Datalogging with Crome HELP. Can't get Laptop to conn to ECU. (AlphaQup)

bump for the nightcrew.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Datalogging with Crome HELP. Can't get Laptop to conn to ECU. (AlphaQup)

I'm a little rusty so bear with me.

-Make sure the key is in the ignition and it is ON (you dont have to start the car)

-First connect your Ostrich to your laptop and make sure it is connecting (skip this step if you dont have an Ostrich)

-If you dont have an Ostrich then just make sure your chip is in the ECU

-Put the ignition key to ON

-Plug in your datalogging cable and select a COM port

-Go into Crome and make sure the COM port for the datalogging cable is matching what you selected in Windows for the datalogging cable

Let me know if that's how you're doing it. Also are you using an Ostrich too, or just a chip?
Old 12-06-2005, 01:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

BTW I have both a Hondalog USB and the SuperDroids cable. When it gets light out I'll go out to my car and go through the process again. Just let me know if you are doing this with an Ostrich or chip so I can do the same for mine.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Datalogging with Crome HELP. Can't get Laptop to conn to ECU. (BlueShadow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueShadow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm a little rusty so bear with me.

-Make sure the key is in the ignition and it is ON (you dont have to start the car)

-First connect your Ostrich to your laptop and make sure it is connecting (skip this step if you dont have an Ostrich)

-If you dont have an Ostrich then just make sure your chip is in the ECU

-Put the ignition key to ON

-Plug in your datalogging cable and select a COM port

-Go into Crome and make sure the COM port for the datalogging cable is matching what you selected in Windows for the datalogging cable

Let me know if that's how you're doing it. Also are you using an Ostrich too, or just a chip?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Blue,
OK I tried running the Ostrich today, and it worked. I didnt conntect it to the ecu yet, but I conected the ostrich to the usb cable&gt; connected the cable to the laptop&gt; open crome&gt; open the rom&gt; apply dattalogging rtp+&gt;apply remove checksum&gt; setup the settings for Ostrich&gt; clicked "test setting"
It was able to connect to the laptop this way.

As for the dattalogging cable... my results so far are as I listed on my post above. I've tried comm ports 1-5 to no avail. If you can help me out in anyway, I'd appreceate it very much. I hope its just a hardware issue with my cables.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've heard of people having their Nokia cables just stop working. That's what happened with my Nokia cable after I had left it unused for 3-4 months. That's what I bought a new ECU and a header that I can plug either my Hondalog or Superdroids into.

For your problem I had the same thing happen to me when I was trying to connect my Ostrich and datacable. When I was getting problems I replaced the Ostrich with a chip to rule out the Ostrich as part of the problem. All I had to worry about was connecting the datacable and that made it a lot easier to trouble shoot COM port issues. So try replacing the Ostrich with a chip, then see if you can conect with your datacable. If you are abe to find a good COM port for the cable that Crome recognizes. Then turn the key to OFF, and replace the chip with the ostrich and see if Crome recognizes it. If it does, then turn the key to ON and go back to FIL-&gt;SETTINGS to see if it will still recognizes your datacable.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Datalogging with Crome HELP. Can't get Laptop to conn to ECU. (BlueShadow)

^^ Blue,
I'll try detecting the comm ports like you stated, but I'm almost positive if I already tried applying all comm ports in Crome to no avail, wouldnt your outcome give the same results? I'll try this in the morning and post my results.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just wasn't sure if you had tried it with just the chip and cable. IN my post on pgmfi, I had to keep moving the COM ports around until my laptop and Crome found a good combo they liked. When the sun comes up I'll take my stuff out to my car and try different versions of Crome and different ROM bases. I have version 1.0b, 1.1.6b and 1.1.8 R2 all installed on my laptop. I know when I go hte cable and Ostrich to work I was using an earlier version. Recently when I was trying to get it to work again but couldn't, I was using 1.1.8 R2. Maybe I forgot to install a plug in when I installed 1.1.8 R2. So I'm gonna try it with 1.0B and 1.1.8 R2, and if it works for the earlier version, then that may be part of the problem.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I like this guy! Can I give you a hug Blue? Let's make blue an official "HT rolemodel" ! haha seriously!

I'll be waiting for your info bro.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hehehe, I dunno about being a rolemodel. I just try to help out best as I can.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i've had the same issue. I bought the hondulog from moates.net. i followed your same stuff and nothing will ever connect. but since i blew up my car, i ahven't been able to test it or anything. Its annoying as hell for something that is a 'good' working version.

i need to start messing with it again since i have a guy that wants to be tuned with it.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Datalogging with Crome HELP. Can't get Laptop to conn to ECU. (seen4ever)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by seen4ever &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i've had the same issue. I bought the hondulog from moates.net. i followed your same stuff and nothing will ever connect. but since i blew up my car, i ahven't been able to test it or anything. Its annoying as hell for something that is a 'good' working version.

i need to start messing with it again since i have a guy that wants to be tuned with it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, get your setup running and lemme know how you did it. Maybe we can learn off each other. I'm waiting for my hulog from craig still, just in case its because of my cable. before then, im gonna try what blue was suggesting.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its a little far off at the moment:

Old 12-06-2005, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Datalogging with Crome HELP. Can't get Laptop to conn to ECU. (seen4ever)

ok here's what I did to get it to work. I used my Hulog cable and as soon as I figure out how to use the Superdroids cable I'll give that a try too.

First thing you do is replace a datalogRTP file that may be out of date. Go to the link below and look for the one titled QUICK DATALOGGER and expand it and download the zip file quickDLRTP-v1.5.zip.

http://sourceforge.net/project...58624

You want to unzip the file that's in there password is pgmfi.org
take the file and copy and paste it into your Crome directory in the plugins directory. Your old file may or may not have been outdated, now that we've replaced it we know it's good.

Next thing you want to do is burn a new chip or if you have an Ostrich make a new rom. When you make the new .bin and save it you want to make sure you REMOVE CHECKSUM ROUTINE and then ADD QUICK DATALOGGER+RTP. if you know how to remoce checksum then the quick datalogger +rtp is in the same place. even though the datalogging icon is already there, you need to add QD+RTP so you can save it to your .bin. If you do not add QD+RTP I'm 99% certain you wont be able to datalog. Make sure when you save the filename to include the .bin at the end. You're gonna be opening up this file again later. You can either close Crome or elave it open. I went ahead and closed it and reopened it again later.

Once you have done that either burn your chip and plug it in or send the .bin to your Ostrich and plug it into the ECU.

Before I used to be able to datalog with my key ON. Now I found out I have to start the car. So go ahead and start the car up and let it run. It shouldn't matter if you plug in the datalogging cable to your laptop before or after you start the engine I tried both and both worked for me. So the car is running and the datacable shouild be plugged into your laptop.

Next step is to go to your device manager. Right click on MY COMPUTER then under the system properties choose the HARDWARE tab and go to the DEVICE MANAGER. Go to PORTS and expand it...you should see your USB connection. double click it to open it up. Click on the PORT SETTINGS tab and click on the ADVANCED button. Even if COM 1 was selected in the drop down box open up the dropdown box and click COM 1 anyways. Before you exit out of the advanced settings make sure you have these settings:

Recieve (bytes) 64
Transmit (bytes) 64
Latency Timer 1
Minimum Read Timeout 0
Minimum Write Timeout 0
Serial Enumerator checked
All other boxes unchecked

Once you're done with that click on ok and it will take you back to the port settings screen. Make sure you have these settings:

Bits per second 38400
Data Bits 8
Parity None
Stop Bits 1
Flow Control None

Click OK and it will return you to the device manager menu. go to ACTION and scan click on SCAN FOR HARDWARE CHANGES or click the icon with the same title. This will refresh the menu, and even though it's probably not needed I do it anyways.

Next step is to open up Crome and open up the filename you had saved and burned to your chip or romulator. Go to FILE and SETTINGS and click on the TUNNER COMM tab. make sure you have the following settings:

Serial protocol OEM Honda
Port the same COM port you had selected in device manager
Baud 38400 (or the same as the BPS in the device manager)
Databits 8
Parity None
Stop Bits 1

Once you have those settings you can click on Test Connection and it should work. If you have an Ostrich set the Com port for that first and plug it into the car and start the car. Once you do that then you can do the whole process for the dataloging cable. If the Ostrich works but you cant get the datacable to work even though you are doing all the stes I posted above then you may have to shuffle the COM ports around. Change the Ostrich to another COM port that works and try assigning the datacable to the leftover COM ports to see which one it accepts. if this still wont work burn a chip using my above procedures, and then start doing the steps I posted above to do the datacable.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn Blue! Excellent Write-up! That was a very in depth review on "How to" get a Laptop connected to the ECU! I'm going to try this out today when I have time. I'll keep you posted bro. If this don't work, I'll have to wait till my Hulog comes in. Big thanks man!
Old 12-06-2005, 01:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey man, how did you convert PO6 ECU to support VTEC. Is there some write up?
Old 12-06-2005, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK, I give up. It's still not working. I did everything the way you listed. The only thing I couldn't do was this part:

Before you exit out of the advanced settings make sure you have these settings:

Recieve (bytes) 64
Transmit (bytes) 64
Latency Timer 1
Minimum Read Timeout 0
Minimum Write Timeout 0

Somehow on my advance settings, there were only 2 horizontal scrolling bars to set the recieve and transmit bytes. And it don't even have the option to go up to 64 bytes. I just left that part as is.

When I go to click the test settings button, it gives me the same message, "Cannot connect to ECU" and this is after I varified they are both on the same comm ports (comm 4).

The strange thing is that if I do the same advance setting for my ostrich comm port (comm5), I am able to access the :

Recieve (bytes) 64
Transmit (bytes) 64
Latency Timer 1
Minimum Read Timeout 0
Minimum Write Timeout 0

It's my damn USB/Serial ebay converter. It's not registering as a regular "USB Serial Port". Instead it registers as a "USB/Serial USB-HID" aka human interface device (whatever the f*ck that is)

Well at least I got my Ostrich to work so far. I'll keep posted after I get my Hulog.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

u do have crome pro right?
Old 12-06-2005, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Datalogging with Crome HELP. Can't get Laptop to conn to ECU. (flip1199)

I do
Old 12-06-2005, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Datalogging with Crome HELP. Can't get Laptop to conn to ECU. (Root79)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Root79 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey man, how did you convert PO6 ECU to support VTEC. Is there some write up? </TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.pgmfi.org/twiki/bin...-1500

or you can talk to 93turbo16 on here. he chips ecu's
Old 12-06-2005, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Datalogging with Crome HELP. Can't get Laptop to conn to ECU. (flip1199)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flip1199 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u do have crome pro right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

If I didn't I wouldn't be trying to datalogg bro.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AlphaQup &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OK, I give up. It's still not working. I did everything the way you listed. The only thing I couldn't do was this part:</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is with the Superdroids cable right? I couldn't figure out how to get mine to work, so I used my Hulog. I'm trying to get instructions on how to use the Superdroids. If I dont get any help, I'll just try messing with it tomorrow.

One thing to check for too is to make sure your firewall is disabled. You dont want zonealarm or the windows firewall on while you are trying to connect to the ECU. Also who did you get the Superdroids cable from? xenocron told me the wires might have to be swapped. I got mine from 93turbo16 and I need to see if he did that already or not.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueShadow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This is with the Superdroids cable right? I couldn't figure out how to get mine to work, so I used my Hulog. I'm trying to get instructions on how to use the Superdroids. If I dont get any help, I'll just try messing with it tomorrow.

One thing to check for too is to make sure your firewall is disabled. You dont want zonealarm or the windows firewall on while you are trying to connect to the ECU. Also who did you get the Superdroids cable from? xenocron told me the wires might have to be swapped. I got mine from 93turbo16 and I need to see if he did that already or not.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I got my cable from 93turbo16 too. I've tried swaping the Tx and Rx wires on the cable to see if it worked as well. Doesn't work even after the swap, so I swaped them back. It's all good Blue, if you can't figure out the Superdroids cable, I'll just use your instructions above for my Hulog.

Nick
Old 12-06-2005, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AlphaQup &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah, I got my cable from 93turbo16 too. I've tried swaping the Tx and Rx wires on the cable to see if it worked as well. Doesn't work even after the swap, so I swaped them back. It's all good Blue, if you can't figure out the Superdroids cable, I'll just use your instructions above for my Hulog.

Nick</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yah I tried using my Superdroids cable earlier cause I knew that's what you had. But I was't sure how to use it since it was a serial connection. Aside from my keyboard on my PC I haven't used a serial device in almost 6-7 years. SO I kinda forgot how to use them. I did find info on the superdroids cable though. Tomorrow I'm gonna spend some time to see if Ican figure mines out.

http://www.superdroidrobots.co...5.pdf

http://www.superdroidrobots.com/rs232.htm
Old 12-06-2005, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueShadow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Tomorrow I'm gonna spend some time to see if Ican figure mines out.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well... lemme know if you get that sucker connected. My Hulog aint getting in till Monday, so I can try whatever comes up before then.

Quick Reply: Datalogging with Crome HELP. Can't get Laptop to conn to ECU.