Notices

d17a and boost?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default d17a and boost?

anybody got a boosted d17? my dd is a 02 civic lx. i been looking into a turbo kit for it and had a few questions. a few people said the stock intake manifold have been known to crack under boost. this true? i'm not looking to build a race car or swap a k in it just want a little more passing power while keepin ac and everything else. turbo d17's chime in with some info please, and what kit and power #'s would be nice also.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:22 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: d17a and boost?

I'm not sure about the intake manifold on this D series, but for the earlier versions, the "safe" power range is between 220-240whp depending on the setup and fuel. Before deciding on a setup, you should check the Forced Induction forum for a few more suggestions. There are good threads in the FAQ about what parts to select and which to stay away from. There may also be more people with similar setups who can shed more light on this build for you.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The D17 is similar enough to D16's internally to say 250whp is doable. It is similar to a stroked D16. The downside is obviously the manifold and electronics (for tuning). With the time & money involved, a k-swap isnt' a bad alternative.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no k. money and time are a big factor. again this is my dd so i can't have it down for longer than a weekend or so. i can get a tsi complete turbokit with fuel management for $2500 off turbokits.com and it should give me about similar whp to a kswap plus the swap will cost more than double that and all that time to do it, forget about it. i already have enough projects , i just wanna show the daily some love and pick up an extra 50-75 reliable whp. just wondering if the stock intake manifold will hold up.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and i can get u a full K swap for about the same price (2800)..
so its not alot when u know the right people
plus yur gonna have to add roughly $500 or more to your $2500 for a tune..
Old 05-13-2009, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vtec-boy17
and i can get u a full K swap for about the same price (2800)..
so its not alot when u know the right people
plus yur gonna have to add roughly $500 or more to your $2500 for a tune..
put me in touch with your people or imma have to call on you.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess if you want a pristine example like you see in a magazine, it will cost quite a bit. Otherwise I see K parts for cheap all the time. Mostly its the kids that want to hang with the big guys, stuff all their money in parts, get in over their heads - then sell it all. You will gain a big chunk of torque over a mild K24 if you do turbocharge it, however.

The problem with that particular kit is how it adds extra fuel. You put 2 extra injectors upstream of the TB, which turn on for boost. AFR's will be all wacky, and that's after the money into tuning - unless you feel like paying for a wideband and trying it yourself.

You might save some money with the kit, but I've seen more than a few people completely FUBAR their car because they got in over their head. Good luck which ever way you go.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HiProfile
I guess if you want a pristine example like you see in a magazine, it will cost quite a bit. Otherwise I see K parts for cheap all the time. Mostly its the kids that want to hang with the big guys, stuff all their money in parts, get in over their heads - then sell it all. You will gain a big chunk of torque over a mild K24 if you do turbocharge it, however.

The problem with that particular kit is how it adds extra fuel. You put 2 extra injectors upstream of the TB, which turn on for boost. AFR's will be all wacky, and that's after the money into tuning - unless you feel like paying for a wideband and trying it yourself.

You might save some money with the kit, but I've seen more than a few people completely FUBAR their car because they got in over their head. Good luck which ever way you go.
thanks. the fuel addition had me a little concerned also, i've never tried to tune a system like that before. i've done quite a few swaps and performance upgrades in my time and i'm familiar with wideband tuning (lm-2 is the best) so that won't be a problem.

Last edited by jspeccrx91; 05-14-2009 at 04:59 PM.