Notices

d16z6 turbo, blown head gasket, fried rings, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default d16z6 turbo, blown head gasket, fried rings, need advice

Alright so my buddy has a boosted 93 ex with a stock jdm motor. It recently overheated and the head gasket was blown and rings were fried. I'm thinking about buying it from him as is and rebuilding the engine to handle the turbo. From what I've read, fj distributors is the way to go.

They have a d16z6 turbo superkit for $300 which includes:
-YCP Vitara pistons (75mm / 75.5mm / 76mm)
-Wrist pins and C clips
-Piston rings (Hastings or NPR)
-Timing Belt
-Water Pump
-ACL Rod Bearings
-ACL Main Bearings
-ACL or King Thrust washers
-Full engine Gasket & Seals set--> Its all the gaskets and seals you will need for your engine from the oil pan and up to the head.Metal 3 layer Head gasket (approx .030 thickness)

I would also replace the thermostat and probably get an upgraded radiator.

Does anybody know if this build will make the engine reliable for boost, or what other parts I would need?
Old 01-15-2009, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: d16z6 turbo, blown head gasket, fried rings, need advice

You really need to add rods to this build!! They are another weak link. But yes you would be off to a good start with this kit.

I personally wouldnt put it back together without doing the rods too. With rods you will have a Block that will be good to 400+. Many people are starting to make in the mid and high 400s on vitara pistons and something like an Eagle, Tuner Toy, or Fjt rods. There are many rod options out there.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would replace the pistons, as well as the rods. You might as well, considering the motor is going to be torn apart anyway, rather than waiting until later on and giving yourself more hell and work to go through. D16Z6's are pretty stout motors and tough to kill, despite their bad reputation for putting out power. It should be able to handle a nice turbo setup if you do things correctly.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

word, dont be like me and forget to burp the radiator and over heat the build =( But yes diff rad and i would get over sized piston and have the blocked bored to a proper piston to wall clearance i used (.0025) you may also consider a rotating balance assembly with the new rods + piston so and micropolish the crank for the new bearings and dont forget the arp head studs!
Old 01-15-2009, 06:54 PM

Okay thanks for the help. I will definitely add rods (probably Eagle) to the list. Unfortunately I don't have the time or means to do the build myself but I'm hoping that all said and done it should be about $1000 or less?

Also, I know a tune is necessary to maximize horsepower and efficiency but could I safely drive without one for a while until I put the money together? The ecu was tuned for the original motor (us d16z6) and turbo, but I was advised to do another with the new setup.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just make sure you do get it re-tuned. Eventually, you'll have hell to pay if you don't. Whether its sooner, or later. You'd be surprised, but the smallest modification can cause issues with tuning.