Notices

D16 Turob ????

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 10:29 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16 Turob ????

Hey everyone,

3 weeks ago I picked up a 93 dx for my GF and we have already started modifying it. Last week we put in a nice deck with some speakers. Past weekend we lowered the car with tokico blues and eibach sportlines. The next thing is the engine. I will be dropping a SOHC vtec in to it pretty soon, but I know that eventually this will not be enough power. Since this is a budget project and we want to keep the reliablility and drivability pretty close to stock I was thinking about starting to piece together a junk yard turbo kit that would run about 5 psi non intercooled. Can I get some help from you guys in regards ther best parts to look for..... eg. production car turbos, what manifolds, etc...

Thanks, your help is greatly appriciated.
Old 06-10-2003, 11:10 AM

Default Re: D16 Turob ???? (Screamer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Screamer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey everyone,

3 weeks ago I picked up a 93 dx for my GF and we have already started modifying it. Last week we put in a nice deck with some speakers. Past weekend we lowered the car with tokico blues and eibach sportlines. The next thing is the engine. I will be dropping a SOHC vtec in to it pretty soon, but I know that eventually this will not be enough power. Since this is a budget project and we want to keep the reliablility and drivability pretty close to stock I was thinking about starting to piece together a junk yard turbo kit that would run about 5 psi non intercooled. Can I get some help from you guys in regards ther best parts to look for..... eg. production car turbos, what manifolds, etc...

Thanks, your help is greatly appriciated.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
If you are doing junkyard set-up like mine here are the list you might need
Turbo( your choice but i prefer 14b TDO5H)
HF manifold with custom adapter plate
450cc DSM injectors / afc hack or smc fuel management
JC whitney madrel bend piping for charge pipe and down pipe
1G DSM BOV
SMIC or FMIC from DSM turbo cars
The rest are feed and return lines, boost gauge, and a/f gauge.

BTW, I'm selling a 1G DSM BOV complete with flange and welded in a 2.25 madrel bend tubing. So basically a plug and play situation. I'm also selling my SMC+ too

Old 06-10-2003, 01:10 PM

If all you want to do is run 5psi, keep daily drivability, stock reliability, and stay on a small bundget you could just run a Greddy Kit.
Old 06-10-2003, 06:09 PM

check out my page in my sig. less than a non-intercooled greddy kit and i can up the boost w/o too much worry.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i like the greddy kit too. i plan on buying one asap
Old 06-11-2003, 04:08 AM
Trial User

Default Re: D16 Turob ???? (BigD+Itsuki)

Thanks for all your replies.

Yes the Greddy kit would be very nice but it is too expensive for a budget project. I rather piece a kit together from used parts for couple hundred $$$. This is just to play around and have fun with the car we don't have any real goals for the car.

I will look into those turbo parts that were mentioned. What type of adapter would I need for the manifold and where could I get one?

Thanks.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:06 AM

Keep an eye out on ebay for the greddy kit, I was going to bid on a brand new kit yesterday, but I held out and went golfing, when I got back, I saw that it closed at $1100. I was so pissed that I didn't bid. Live and learn I guess.
Old 06-12-2003, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16 Turob ???? (4thGSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4thGSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If you are doing junkyard set-up like mine here are the list you might need
Turbo( your choice but i prefer 14b TDO5H)
HF manifold with custom adapter plate
450cc DSM injectors / afc hack or smc fuel management
JC whitney madrel bend piping for charge pipe and down pipe
1G DSM BOV
SMIC or FMIC from DSM turbo cars
The rest are feed and return lines, boost gauge, and a/f gauge.

BTW, I'm selling a 1G DSM BOV complete with flange and welded in a 2.25 madrel bend tubing. So basically a plug and play situation. I'm also selling my SMC+ too
</TD></TR></TABLE>

For a 5psi budget car, he can probably get away with a fmu and in-tank fuel pump for fuel management.
Old 06-12-2003, 07:42 AM

Default Re: D16 Turob ???? (kommon_sense)

Be wary of junk yard kits. While they can make lots o power and be relaible, you still need to do the leg work and not skimp on any thing!

You cannot build a turbo set up and save money, plus when you get it all installed you'll prob realize that you need to spend another grand or so do get your **** tightened up.

There are a few of us around here that have been there done that................and blowed **** up in the process. But from that we learn and rebuild.

No turbo kits for me, I will alway's build my own. The ultimate junk yard, or as I prefer "custom kit" is listed above (for sohc vtec).

TD05-14b
1G BOV
Starion FMIC
custom fabed mandrel piping
2.5." DP with 2.5 exhaust
ss oil lines
boost/oil pressure gauges
450cc dsm injectors, AFC/SMC hack, or the Uberchip
CX manifold with custom welded flange

I'll put my kit up against any aftermarket kit for the sohc, for fit and finish and performance.

Hope to get pics up in the next few day's to show ya all!
Old 06-13-2003, 11:39 AM
Trial User

Default Re: D16 Turob ???? (Hybrid)

Thanks for your advise, but I also have been there and done a lot of stuf. I will be putting the kit together myself and installing it myself that is why I wanted to know what parts to use more so than to hear peoples opinions on which way to go with my buildup. I already have a b series turbo car and this is just going to be for fun. Anyways thanks for all of the great responses and I just may look into the greaddy kit.

If anyone can help with recommendation/experiecs as to what junk yard parts to look for (just as in Hydrid's reaply) it would be greatly appriciated.