Notices

Cutting X-drilled and Slotted rotors? How and where??

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cutting X-drilled and Slotted rotors? How and where??

Given that I upgraded my car with some serious speed after the addition of a Drag kit sometime last year, it also necesitated a brake upgrade to slow down. Makes me wonder what the 300+ hp guys use......

To that end, I picked up a set of the HP racing caliper relocating 12" rotors kit. It was the best I could afford at the time. I'm pretty positive that my rotors are warped now ( vibration, etc.) and I am now looking into cutting them.

Now, I did a search already, and I couldn't find much info about it. Most shops won't do it, that's for sure. Now there was a thread that says you can cut them only so much, and only 1 thousandth at a time. There was also mention of a regular shop machine vs. a place taht does flywheel/clutch.

Can someone confirm or deny these claims? And what should I tell the tech when I find one who is willing to do it? (cut only 1 thousandth, slowest setting, etc.)

of course, I am also thinking about a new set of pads. AEM, Hawk, EBC green stuff? any comments?
Old 08-16-2004, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Cutting X-drilled and Slotted rotors? How and where?? (95stangkillah)

Don't quote me on this. But I asked a few companies that make x drilled slotted rotors what do I do when they warp can I get them cut. They all responded to me. They won't warp so you don't have anything to worry about. So I said lets say they do warp can I get them cut. They said no you will just have to buy a new rotor.

I am not sure if you can cut them. My friend has a brake leathe(sp) and I think the piece that cuts the rotor would get caught in the holes or slots and prob do more damage then good.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:17 AM

Default Re: Cutting X-drilled and Slotted rotors? How and where?? (95stangkillah)

Pretty much any machine shop can cut your rotors or you could even bring them to pretty much any garage and they can have them cut for you. It's not that expensive to do. I don't know about only taking off .001" though. If you look in a haynes manual it'll tall you what the minimum thickness of the rotors is, and that figure should be pretty much the same on the new rotors. Just take it to them and tell them you need to have the rotors "cut" and they'll take care of it. If they're really warped theres not much they can do for them without taking off too much material.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:20 AM

Default Re: Cutting X-drilled and Slotted rotors? How and where?? (StrokedPSI)

Sorry dude I thought you meant you were thinking about getting X drilled/slotted and that you actually had blanks. I'm not sure if they can cut the x-drilled/slotted ones.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cross drilled and slotted rotors cannot be cut on a brake lathe. You are going to need to purchase new rotors.