Notices

custom supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2002, 07:02 PM
Cow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default custom supercharger

I know lots of people have made custom/home made turbo setups, but has anyone tried to convert a junkyard supercharger to work on a Honda? I know it would probably be more difficult, maybe impossible, but just wondering if anyone has done any research or experimentation in this area. It would be nice to do it that way instead of buying the overpriced Jackson kit.

oh yeah and save the 'superchargers suck' posts.

[edited because my english sux]

[Modified by Cow, 11:03 PM 7/31/2002]
Old 07-31-2002, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: custom supercharger (Cow)

Probably wouldn't be that hard...just get a sheetmetal intake welded up to accept the blower you want to use. Then figure out something for the belt....
Old 08-01-2002, 11:35 AM
Cow

TTT.. surely someone has tried this.
Old 08-01-2002, 11:40 AM
Trial User

I think someone has... mainly jackson racing and vortec...

It's too much work i think for something like that.. you litteraly have to have a machine shop to do waht you'll need to do... and make sure that there is room... dont know about you but between the firewall and my intake there isn't much room for a supercharger.. it would be nice... but how i have no idea... BUT on teh frotnof my car there is a nice spot for a turbo.... lots of room...

might be easy if you have a shop to work in...
Old 08-01-2002, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: custom supercharger (GSRwBOOST)

only custom supercharger worth making is a screw type. i suggest talking to whipple and maybe they can help you out or maybe you can use the jackson racing kit and try to custom fit a whipple in there. http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com
Old 08-01-2002, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: custom supercharger (csufweed)

only custom supercharger worth making is a screw type. i suggest talking to whipple and maybe they can help you out or maybe you can use the jackson racing kit and try to custom fit a whipple in there. http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com
I beg to differ. CENTRIFUGAL is the only blower I'd mess with to make work on a Honda. The gains from the screw or roots type are just not enough for me to put time into. Plus -- intake temps of 220 degrees just don't sit well with me.
Old 08-01-2002, 03:38 PM
New User

Default Re: custom supercharger (HybridKOOP)

Centrifugal blowers suck **** on small displacement engines (check the torque curve on a Vortech Civic or Integra). At least a screw-type is WAY more efficient than the Roots type. Regardless, most people with the skills and knowledge to custom fab a supercharger kit just realize they're going to be happier with a turbo.
Old 08-01-2002, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: custom supercharger (dbman96)

Centrifugal blowers suck **** on small displacement engines (check the torque curve on a Vortech Civic or Integra). At least a screw-type is WAY more efficient than the Roots type. Regardless, most people with the skills and knowledge to custom fab a supercharger kit just realize they're going to be happier with a turbo.
thanks for correcting his ignorance... and yeah... for small displacement engines, the best way to go is TURBO. WORST is probably CENTRIFUGAL.
Old 08-01-2002, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ignorance huh? Lets do the math here.

JSRC'd DOHC VTEC engine at about 10 psi... maybe what... 230whp?
VORTECH properly tuned (forget about the *only* plot you saw where it only made power at 8k...)...I've seen make over 340.

Either way, superchargers and Hondas suck. Period. But if I had to choose between the two, I'd run a centrifugal over a roots ANY day.
Old 08-01-2002, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for small displacement engines, the best way to go is TURBO. WORST is probably CENTRIFUGAL.
Absolutly. With a centrifugal, you don't get boost 'till up high (look a dyno plots of the Vortech Si blower) because, like a turbo, it has to spin like a ****. If you got it spinning like a **** down low, it'd make more heat than two teens dry humping in the back of a Cavalier when you revved it up as well as running out of breath. And since it's mechanically linked to the crankshaft, and it's RPM is proportional to the engine RPM (whearas a turbo can be spooled quickly with the WG closed and then exhaust diverted to maintain boost at higher RPMs), you're pretty much stuck with what you got.

On top of that, you have the drag of a belt and gears...

So what you have with a centrifugal supercharger is the parasitic drag of a supercharger with the lag of a poorly designed turbo. Oh boy! The worst of both worlds! Sign me up, Vortech!
Old 08-01-2002, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

But if I had to choose between the two, I'd run a centrifugal over a roots ANY day.
Peak HP isn't as important as the shape of the powerband. I'd take a Roots type any day because it has a flatter powerband and is more driveable. You don't have to shift as often, you're not constantly trying to keep it in VT3C, y0! and you have more power down low, which is great for both autocross and street racing. I bet you that if you took the two cars you mentioned and autoxed them, all things being equal, the Roots car would spank the centrifugal like a red- headed step child. As for dragging from light to light, again... the Roots would own because in sub- 70 MPH drag races where the cars have similar power, it's mainly won by the hole shot.
Old 08-01-2002, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: custom supercharger (F=WT)

But if I had to choose between the two, I'd run a centrifugal over a roots ANY day.

Peak HP isn't as important as the shape of the powerband. I'd take a Roots type any day because it has a flatter powerband and is more driveable. You don't have to shift as often, you're not constantly trying to keep it in VT3C, y0! and you have more power down low, which is great for both autocross and street racing. I bet you that if you took the two cars you mentioned and autoxed them, all things being equal, the Roots car would spank the centrifugal like a red- headed step child. As for dragging from light to light, again... the Roots would own because in sub- 70 MPH drag races where the cars have similar power, it's mainly won by the hole shot.
I agree with most of your points. I personally would not supercharge a Honda in general. BUT... I do not autocross... I drag race. If I can make 100 more horsepower from 6000-8500 rpm from one system to another, I'm going to do it.

The dyno plots I have seen from *alot* of those Vortechs is not as horrible as you guys make it out to be. I'm going to go find some and post them for you just for comparison... maybe laid over a JRSC's graph at the same manifold pressure.

- Louis
Old 08-01-2002, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ignorance huh? Lets do the math here.

JSRC'd DOHC VTEC engine at about 10 psi... maybe what... 230whp?
VORTECH properly tuned (forget about the *only* plot you saw where it only made power at 8k...)...I've seen make over 340.

Either way, superchargers and Hondas suck. Period. But if I had to choose between the two, I'd run a centrifugal over a roots ANY day.
judging from how badly i OWNED!!1 a Vortech GSR on the freeway... i am guessing they suck even on the top end. And dyno plots of the JRSC producing more power under the curve than a Vortech are readily available. In fact I have posted it before.
As you can see, everyone replying besides you knows of the inadequacies of the Vortech kit compared to a JRSC with much much less peak hp. Where have you been man?!?! If you are new to FI or Supercharging, you shouldn't be so sure of yourself. I've been supercharging cars for many years... domestic AND import!
I dont see why people take offense to the term "ignorance". it simply means that you arent well informed in something. In this case, supercharging. There was no intent to offend you. You are wrong and I was just informing you of that. Now that you know JRSC OWNS Vortech on small displacement engines... you are no longer ignorant. You are welcome!
Old 08-01-2002, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here is some reading material as well as dyno plots comparing each set-up. ENJOY!

http://www.hondalife.com/articles/po...splacement.htm
Old 08-01-2002, 08:24 PM
Cow

Well.. thanks for hijacking my thread.. :S

For straight line racing turbo is great, I admit. But I like to throw some variety into the mix (auto-x). I also like great drivability.
After doing a lot of research I have concluded that roots-type blowers are not nearly as bad as everyone makes them out to be. This board is just very turbo biased. But I digress..

As far as having enough room for a blower, well, there's obviously enough room for the JRSC, so another one might be able to squeeze in. I mainly just wondered if anyone had tried it. It would be relatively simple I think.. just requires the fabrication of a new IM probably.

Oh well. Thanks anyway.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wanted to try this with an M90 blower, and wedge an intercooler in there. That would be just what my Focus needs. The Jackson kit for the svt makes 205whp with the 5lb M62 kit, maybe more if you could throw the M90 on there?
Old 07-10-2003, 01:03 PM

I'm developing an eletrical powered supercharger in order to get around the parasitic drag of belt-drive. I've already stolen a hand dryer from the bathroom at Arby's. Now all I need is a new intake manifold and a 1/4 mile extension cord.
Old 07-10-2003, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: custom supercharger (fredtoast)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fredtoast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm developing an eletrical powered supercharger in order to get around the parasitic drag of belt-drive. I've already stolen a hand dryer from the bathroom at Arby's. Now all I need is a new intake manifold and a 1/4 mile extension cord. </TD></TR></TABLE>
If you can get your hands on a flex capacitor you won't need the extension cord.
Have you considered using a soda fountain for water injection?
Old 07-10-2003, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: custom supercharger (fredtoast)

A S/C that was designed for your car will most likely yield better results for the same, or a substantially less, amount of time money and effort trying to rig a custom SC on your civic/teg. If this is something you are set on then go for it. I personally feel that your efforts would be better spent custom fabbing a turbo setup.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fredtoast &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm developing an eletrical powered supercharger in order to get around the parasitic drag of belt-drive. I've already stolen a hand dryer from the bathroom at Arby's. Now all I need is a new intake manifold and a 1/4 mile extension cord. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You'll want to rig up some sort of AWIC to that bastard though. After a while they start to blow hot air.

James