Notices

CTR N1 crank pulley

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CTR N1 crank pulley

I've heard good and bad things about this crank pulley for FI setups. Can I get a nice list of both from an experienced H-T engine builder, please? I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into.

edit: Civic EK with JDM B18C1 and t3/t04e .63 a/r garrett setup. stock internals with block guard.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CTR N1 crank pulley (8YourV8)

they are not balanced.

Honda cranks, except for the CTR, dont use the flywheel or crank pulley to balance them.

the ctr uses the crank pulley to balance its crank, so unless u have ur rotating assembly balanced w/ that pulley on it, it will vibrate it to death, quickly i might add.

And it has nothing to do with being FI, it doesnt make a difference, u cant use them.

Stay stock or get a harmonic balancer, otherwise, u shouldnt even waste ur time modding ur engine.

And searching would have got u this info in alot less time.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CTR N1 crank pulley (93supercoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93supercoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

And searching would have got u this info in alot less time.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 12-28-2007, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i searched before i posted and didn't find anything... searched again after using different key words and found a lot of stuff, a lot of which states exactly what you just said.

however i've been running a ctr pulley on my car for almost 2 months and nothing has been acting up, although i do have a harsh rattling noise coming from what seems to be my transmission.

i'm stuck between believing that this rattling noise is being caused by a broken tranny mount bushing (replacing that this weekend) or internal transmission issues related to the pulley itself.

i'm hoping it's just an issue from the torn mount bushing.

if, god forbid, i'm destroying my transmission or engine internals without even knowing it, would it be wise to swap my stock balancer back on, or would there be issues with that having already used the CTR pulley for this length of time?
Old 12-28-2007, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the damage could be already done, but dont keep that pulley on any longer than u have to.

weather it be 2months or 2years, its gonna ruin ur engine.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

alrighty thanks. swapping that back on this weekend as well.. i'll post again after those 2 issues are fixed and give a status update as far as rattling noises go.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93supercoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the ctr uses the crank pulley to balance its crank</TD></TR></TABLE>

Can you say where you got this info/idea? I suspect it's completely incorrect.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do not use this pulley. Your will destroy your oil pump in the quickness. I've personally seen it happen 3 or 4 times to friends of mine. Once they swapped back to a stock pulley they had no oil pump problems.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:35 AM

Default Re: CTR N1 crank pulley (SOHC_MShue)

harmonics will haunt you
Old 12-29-2007, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think everyone except the o.p. knows about the harmonic issue, but I've never read anything about the b16b being externally balanced, that doesn't make any sense to me..
Old 12-29-2007, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've had a ctr pulley on mine for around 3 years, and haven't had any problems... I put a whole lot of miles on my car and drive it hard everywhere i go. I'm also revving to 9k and had my car supercharged for a few months, and have been spraying on it all this year. I'm finishing my turbo setup today, so we'll see how it goes.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:27 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (dustin528)

some wont have any issues, but the vast majority have.
i have never used one, i have a fluidampr anyway. but your oil pump will thank you for it.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i also used the CTR pulley with no problems on my boosted LS. i don't have it anymore cause i sold it with the motor and its still runing with no problems
Old 12-29-2007, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bigbadboy)

I had one and after i built my motor, i switched to an ati unit. No problems but i sleep better at night now
Old 12-29-2007, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CTR N1 crank pulley (rorik)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rorik &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can you say where you got this info/idea? I suspect it's completely incorrect.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well get to the correcting then, tough guy.

And i really dont know that they are externally balanced, but if they werent, than way no dampner?
Old 12-29-2007, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, why write about something with such authority if you "really don't know". Sorry for questioning something that doesn't sound like it makes sense. I just want to know where you got your info. I know I don't know everything.
There is a difference between absorbing harmonics (dampener) and being a balancer.
I know some old domestic motors are internallly balanced, some aren't. They have differerent flywheels, ie different masses off the crankshaft's axis of rotation outside the motor. Never heard of a honda doing this.
Especially considering it basically has the same config in multiple variants that aren't ext balanced. ie, b16a, b17, b18a/b/c/c5/b20, how many of those motors "have to have their rotating assemblies balanced with the pulley on it"? Yet the ctr b16b is?
Just looking for more info, like I said, I don't know everything, I was just wrong about something else b16b related that I posted about. (deck height)
I like how no one else has questioned this either, typical h-t.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (rorik)

Im gonna throw my two cents in here. Me and my roomate both run the CTR N1 pulley and neither of us have had any problems what so ever. I drive my car very hard and he drive his even harder. He has had his on his motor about 2.5 years and ive been running mine for a solid year. Ive made about 150 passes down the track this past year pulling well over 8500rpm, and Hes revving his to 9000 all day every day. So i gotta say from my personl experiences and his as well we both love our pulleys and will continue to use them.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (a1320honda)

My personal opinion is that everyone that runs the n1 pulley does not have any issues, but the folks that <U>heard</U> of a situation and have no first hand experience generally hate them. We installed one on my roomates stock ls turbo and it ran fine on his set-up. His car was tuned to around 275 whp and it ran for about two years until he sold it, and to my knowledge it is still running. I believe it gets a bad rap due to people assembling their motors incorrectly. It is easier to blame a pulley when you spin a bearing rather then your own incorrect measurements/assembly.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (racebucket_eg)

^ You are so wrong its not even funny.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boosted Chemist)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boosted Chemist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^ You are so wrong its not even funny.</TD></TR></TABLE> how do you figure? don't just jump into a debate with nothing to back it up...someone can't give his opinion without being shutdown...i've also seen them work with no problems and never seen one destroy a oil pump....i would have to say some people will have no problems and some people will blame the pulley for oil pump failure... this thread is the same as all the other N1 threads somebody go ahead and lock this down
Old 12-31-2007, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Throwdown)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Throwdown &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> how do you figure? don't just jump into a debate with nothing to back it up...someone can't give his opinion without being shutdown...i've also seen them work with no problems and never seen one destroy a oil pump....i would have to say some people will have no problems and some people will blame the pulley for oil pump failure... this thread is the same as all the other N1 threads somebody go ahead and lock this down </TD></TR></TABLE>

They work fine on stock motors, with honda factory balanced ****. Take a built motor that 90% of the time unbalanced, you have harmonics. The n1 pulley will do nothing against this and inturn your oil pump will suffer. Take your chances with that pos on a built motor, and spend another couple hundred to rebuild when the oil pump ***** out.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i guess from what you stated ...he will have no problems then.... as his set-up is Civic EK with JDM B18C1 and t3/t04e .63 a/r garrett setup. stock internals with block guard.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree that the n1 pulley is not ideal for every situation but it is definitely the destroyer of motors that people make it out to be.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boosted Chemist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Take a built motor that 90% of the time unbalanced, you have harmonics.</TD></TR></TABLE> If people aren't balancing the rotating assembly on their built motors a ctr pulley is only one of their problems.

I would not use it for a high hp application but for the op's set-up it is fine.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Throwdown)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Throwdown &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i guess from what you stated ...he will have no problems then.... as his set-up is Civic EK with JDM B18C1 and t3/t04e .63 a/r garrett setup. stock internals with block guard.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

It should be ok, but imo I wouldn't run that pos. We are boosted and a couple lbs of metal on your crank isn't going to matter like it does for an na setup. Need more power, add another psi of boost.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:20 PM
Princess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I wouldn't run it simply because I've chewed enough motors up without one, and I don't think I'd need any more help doing that...

HOWEVER, if people are using them on non-oem builds without balancing and such, and then pointing the finger at a pulley, I may inclined to think twice about why I shouldn't run one.

BTW I will vouch to seeing these pulleys used on stock bottom ends and working fine...