CTR/ITR cams with Boost

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CTR/ITR cams with Boost

I've searched and didn't come up with much supporting one way or the other.

Do they have any overlap? Is it easy to dial out? Are they good for boost or what? Can i use my OEM b16 valvetrain if I keep the stock revlimit?
Old 02-03-2005, 06:13 PM

Default Re: CTR/ITR cams with Boost (_gurusan_)

B16's have about 4 degrees of overlap on the VTEC lobe, they all have overlap. boosted hybrid posted a 40 WHP gain from B16 cams to I think it was GSR cams and a VictorX intake manifold. ITR/CTR cams will hold onto the torque and power higher into the RPM band, so if you're ready to rev go for it.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CTR/ITR cams with Boost (Napoleon Dynamite)

ive heard nothing but good stuff about boost plus itr/ctr cams. a few people in my area run them, and they wont switch back.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CTR/ITR cams with Boost (hurleyboarder21)

Will i be ok with my b16 valvetrain if i don't rev past 8k?
Old 02-03-2005, 08:06 PM
95GSRTT

You will be perfectly fine if you stick to stock rev limit
Old 02-03-2005, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CTR/ITR cams with Boost (95GSRTT)

Great....and is it worth it in the future to upgrade to a Type R valvetrain?

I mean they produce power to 9k right
Old 02-03-2005, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1117652 That's my dyno graph. Motor has 2001 spec ITR cams, LS crank in a GSR block. I definitely like ITR cams for boost, vtec + boost is crazy, we lowered my vtec point to 4700rpm but it still kicks hard when it switches.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What I've learned is that:

A high revlimit (9K+) + Large turbo's (especially T4s) LOVE large cams.

This is because the large turbine can flow so much that overlap doesn't really become an issue, and actully helps the engine breath better at those high RPMS.

If I had an extra 500 bucks, I would definetly buy some CTR cams for my GSR setup.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bryson)

These might be noob questions but I am new to boost...I picked up some CTR cams and an Innovate LM-1 kit so I can get used to tuning via uberdata.

Which turbo would you recommend? I don't want a whole ton of lag...but I don't plan on boosting more than 8 psi or so...so a turbo with a lot of CFM would definitely complement the cams and vice versa.

Also...how much power can the stock block run safely daily? I'm not going to go over 8 psi or so for now...but in the future I might replace the headgasket and bring the c/r down to 9.8 or 9.5:1, get some ARP head studs....maybe do some head porting.

I'd rather not do bottom end stuff.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:58 AM
95GSRTT

Default Re: (_gurusan_)

It really depends on how much power you wanna push. If you are looking for something pretty damn efficeint at lower boost, try the gt28rs, people have made really good power with those.

If you are looking for something that can push 400 whp later on, you may wanna get something like the gt35r or similar.

I dont see which block you posted you had, but Im assuming a b16, Id say safely 280 whp should be good.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:32 AM
Trial User

Default Re: (95GSRTT)

Personally, I am sticking with my GSR cams, that came in the B18c . I've heard from quite a few sources that GSR cams are the best for boost. B16 cams should be comparable. Many ITR owners keep their stock cams on boost, though we are only talking .2 compression increase between the ITR and GSR. CTR cams would definately be a no, considering the lift is the higher than ITRs. I think the duration is a little longer also, but I could be wrong. Stick with what you have.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bar'dEK)

You are wrong, CTR and ITR cams have the same amount of lift on EX and IN, the ITR cams have like 2 or 3 degrees less duration than CTR. However, in 2001 they made ITR and CTR cams exackly the same. Oh and for a turbo, lift is what you want, duration is what you don't want.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (leadfoot78)

Wow this post cleared up alot... I heard so much stuff about how ITR cams are horrible for boost from a local shop that I was going to sell them and use my stock cams untill I got some stage 2 turbo cams....thanks guys
Old 02-04-2005, 08:28 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by leadfoot78 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You are wrong, CTR and ITR cams have the same amount of lift on EX and IN, the ITR cams have like 2 or 3 degrees less duration than CTR. However, in 2001 they made ITR and CTR cams exackly the same. Oh and for a turbo, lift is what you want, duration is what you don't want. </TD></TR></TABLE>

is duration controllable thru adj. cam gears? duration effects what?
Old 02-04-2005, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (4-banging)

large turbos work well with duration. smaller turbos create more backpressure which is why more duration and overlap don't work well.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:01 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by leadfoot78 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You are wrong, CTR and ITR cams have the same amount of lift on EX and IN, the ITR cams have like 2 or 3 degrees less duration than CTR. However, in 2001 they made ITR and CTR cams exackly the same. Oh and for a turbo, lift is what you want, duration is what you don't want. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok, so to take a guy's response from boosted hybrid's forum, why don't we run around with "turbo cams" with 150 degrees of duration and an inch and a half of lift?

Higher duration means your motor makes more power naturally aspirated. A higher VE% means your motor makes more power turbocharged. Overlap at high RPM's isn't always a bad thing. Larger duration cams keep the torque high, for longer into the RPM range, which MAKES MORE POWER.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bar'dEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bar’dEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Personally, I am sticking with my GSR cams, that came in the B18c . I've heard from quite a few sources that GSR cams are the best for boost. B16 cams should be comparable. Many ITR owners keep their stock cams on boost, though we are only talking .2 compression increase between the ITR and GSR. CTR cams would definately be a no, considering the lift is the higher than ITRs. I think the duration is a little longer also, but I could be wrong. Stick with what you have.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It all depends on WHAT turbo you have and WHAT kind of torque curve your looking for...

Remember people...all cams do is set the torque curve for any particular engine.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well CTR cams it is.

Has anyone used a CTR intake with a GSR exhaust cam?
Old 02-04-2005, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by _gurusan_ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well CTR cams it is.

Has anyone used a CTR intake with a GSR exhaust cam?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Probubly not...but I think to really realize the gains from the cams you would need to run both the intake and exhaust.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:12 AM

Boostfed made some crazy power from adding type r cams a while back to his b16...
Old 02-04-2005, 10:33 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bryson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Probubly not...but I think to really realize the gains from the cams you would need to run both the intake and exhaust. </TD></TR></TABLE>

thats what I'll be running in the near future
Old 02-04-2005, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Blue98Ex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Blue98Ex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Boostfed made some crazy power from adding type r cams a while back to his b16...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly and hes running 10K+ and with a T4/67. Just too prove my point...
Old 02-04-2005, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Every engine is different, we all know that, when I say you want more lift for a turbo and not duration that's all theory, in reality it can go either way. In theory u want good lift to pressurize the cylinder quickly and close it quickly, to get the highest cylinder pressure. Overlap makes that harder cuz you have the intake valves and exhaust valves open at the same time, its like filling a basket ball that has two holes. But then there is good over lap too, by dialing in a little overlap at the right time u can help evacuate the spent gasses out of the cylinder and make the next intake charge cleaner.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The story about ITR cams being **** for boost is definitely just a fairy tale. They are great for boost.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boondock Saint)

It would be great to get a GT28RS...

But that's way out of my price range. I was just thinking of a T3/T4....but what kind?
Can someone give me a rough estimate of spool times and CFM on the various compressor sizes and turbine sizes of the most popular t3/t4s?

Quick Reply: CTR/ITR cams with Boost