Notices

CSS b18c, keep or ditch the ancient 57 trim? **Updated 10/19/17, Page 3**

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 04:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: CSS b18c, keep or ditch the ancient 57 trim? **Updated 10/19/17, Page 3**

To reiterate, I was simply asking for the opinions stated in this post. Is 20psi too much on this turbo? Or would I be better off going with a turbo more appropriately sized for my goals with room to grow.

Form what I've gathered, on a stock displacement b18, my OPINION.. 400whp on 93 pump gas is right on the line of testing the engine's threshold. That's not to say there arn't people who will/have definitely make more with a built/cam'd/ported head and a solid tubular manifold, but I'm referring to most people's experiences such as myself. For this reason I think i'll be upgrading to a 30r/miniram in the Spring in an effort to reach my goals with less boost.

Thanks everyone for the valuable input and hope I didn't start too many feuds lol
Old 02-01-2016, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default re: CSS b18c, keep or ditch the ancient 57 trim? **Updated 10/19/17, Page 3**

I believe AZ CIVIC. a Joe Alaniz race head and a 84.5mm bore is going to make a lot more HP per psi of boost that your typical build.

AZ CIVIC is helping to pioneer new **** and pushing it to the limit. Results wont be typical when your not afraid to blow **** up.
Old 02-01-2016, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Dark_Teg
I believe AZ CIVIC. a Joe Alaniz race head and a 84.5mm bore is going to make a lot more HP per psi of boost that your typical build.

AZ CIVIC is helping to pioneer new **** and pushing it to the limit. Results wont be typical when your not afraid to blow **** up.
Thanks man! I have had the opportunity to work with both Turbos Direct and Comp with testing. Locash Racing has done all the tuning and providing data back to these companies. All three initial turbos I tested I paid for, fortunately as testing continued these companies started seeing the benefits of testing and started sending things without charge, especially after blowing these things up on the dyno and track LOL.

Locash has also been providing tuning for free because like everyone else we would like to research and find the best combinations that work. Joe has also purchased a Gen2 Precision 6266 to test and we also have the opportunity to test a Borg Warner.

We have been seeing combinations put together that you wouldn't think would work but do, combinations we for sure thought would increase power but lost a lot. I've ran the Garrett t3t61 on my car that was rated at 550whp put down 712whp regardless of graphs posted on websites. One thing to remember is that Garrett usually under rates power that these turbos can actually produce.

It isn't fun pulling a turbo off a car 4 times in a day especially 10 minutes after a pull when it is hot, or pulling an intercooler off multiple times to wash out compressor wheel. However if it helps my car and others go faster the testing is worth it.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DC4KiD
Like I said, I could be wrong, haha. Must be one heck of an efficient setup
Originally Posted by Geis
Nah, you're not

I fully admit that I was wrong about the flow rate; I got it mixed up with the 50 trim, but it's funny because the 57 trim flows even less, 45lbs/min about

It is not possible to push the 53+lbs out of it in order to get 470 whp, not to mention its pretty hard to max it out as is with high IATS, no way it can even get maxxed without knock resistant fuel and an efficient intercooler.
Originally Posted by Dark_Teg

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC
Thanks man! I have had the opportunity to work with both Turbos Direct and Comp with testing. Locash Racing has done all the tuning and providing data back to these companies. All three initial turbos I tested I paid for, fortunately as testing continued these companies started seeing the benefits of testing and started sending things without charge, especially after blowing these things up on the dyno and track LOL.

Locash has also been providing tuning for free because like everyone else we would like to research and find the best combinations that work. Joe has also purchased a Gen2 Precision 6266 to test and we also have the opportunity to test a Borg Warner.

We have been seeing combinations put together that you wouldn't think would work but do, combinations we for sure thought would increase power but lost a lot. I've ran the Garrett t3t61 on my car that was rated at 550whp put down 712whp regardless of graphs posted on websites. One thing to remember is that Garrett usually under rates power that these turbos can actually produce.

It isn't fun pulling a turbo off a car 4 times in a day especially 10 minutes after a pull when it is hot, or pulling an intercooler off multiple times to wash out compressor wheel. However if it helps my car and others go faster the testing is worth it.
This is what I meant when I said efficient setup
Old 02-01-2016, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Guess I'll be shooting for 400whp on my gt28 with 91, I'll make sure to downgrade my IC from the fullrace prostreet because shouldn't need that

I'll report back with the results
Old 02-02-2016, 12:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is the kit, it was a "475hp" core I remember ken saying it was 300, it looks like a 300, sorry, also sorry for the giant pics. PeakBoost B-series Topmount Kit

Last edited by king06; 02-02-2016 at 06:56 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Its really not that unbelievable lol
Old 02-02-2016, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

Hell, my Garrett core is rated for 800whp but has put down 960whp so again ratings are kinda ah. I am also pulling these numbers through a stock Type R throttle body and off the shelf Edelbrock manifold.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:53 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Uh, horsepower and torque are supposed to cross at 5252. Why do none of those three lines cross at 5252?
Old 02-02-2016, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Cool! I tuned a customer's gsr to 405whp back in 2008 on that same peak boost kit at 18psi
And with a different turbo and a few more psi made 460, still flowing through that tiny "300hp" fmic.

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
Uh, horsepower and torque are supposed to cross at 5252. Why do none of those three lines cross at 5252?
Because all 3 lines are hp lol
Old 02-02-2016, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No, it's because all three lines are torque on the first picture, which the Y axis is showing the lbs ft on the left side of the graph

The hp curve is the on the right of the screen, and isn't clearly shown, only the numbers.
On 91 pump gas everyone thinks it's so believable that a 57 trim flows for 470whp? Great, I expect nobody to question me if I claim that I made 400 on a gt28, because I plan on it

Furthermore, even the Hunter turbo charger, which is not only much much newer but flows for more than the 57 trim, by a good 80lbs/min mind you, caps out at about 460whp, just from math/website info. I remember bringing it up recently to someone looking for a good turbo for 450whp, and Theshodan himself that it was not very probable even with e85.

That combined with simple fact that I've seen numerous 57 trim builds, including the ones that had 400ishwhp such AZCIVIC's, and none are even sorta close to 470whp. I don't buy it at all. AZ, that's great that are pushing things to and beyond the boundaries, and I don't doubt you whatsoever on pushing turbos well beyond what the maps show, but for a miserly 57 trim to push out around 550hp to the crank, a full 100lbs/min above what the graph shows (on a very old turbo to boot) with pump gas....yeah, I'm great you guys are so accepting.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

No, it's because all three lines are torque on the first picture, which the Y axis is showing the lbs ft on the left side of the graph.
peak torque at 7k sounds a bit fishy to me lol. but you are right. I didn't look, I was just going by what typical hp curves look like with that setup
Old 02-02-2016, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
Old 02-03-2016, 03:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No, it's because all three lines are torque on the first picture, which the Y axis is showing the lbs ft on the left side of the graph

The hp curve is the on the right of the screen, and isn't clearly shown, only the numbers.
On 91 pump gas everyone thinks it's so believable that a 57 trim flows for 470whp? Great, I expect nobody to question me if I claim that I made 400 on a gt28, because I plan on it

Furthermore, even the Hunter turbo charger, which is not only much much newer but flows for more than the 57 trim, by a good 80lbs/min mind you, caps out at about 460whp, just from math/website info. I remember bringing it up recently to someone looking for a good turbo for 450whp, and Theshodan himself that it was not very probable even with e85.

That combined with simple fact that I've seen numerous 57 trim builds, including the ones that had 400ishwhp such AZCIVIC's, and none are even sorta close to 470whp. I don't buy it at all. AZ, that's great that are pushing things to and beyond the boundaries, and I don't doubt you whatsoever on pushing turbos well beyond what the maps show, but for a miserly 57 trim to push out around 550hp to the crank, a full 100lbs/min above what the graph shows (on a very old turbo to boot) with pump gas....yeah, I'm great you guys are so accepting.
And nobody said ALL 57 trims or its common for 57 trims to make 470whp. But its possible with the right combo of parts and/or a happy dyno. Let it go.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
And nobody said ALL 57 trims or its common for 57 trims to make 470whp. But its possible with the right combo of parts and/or a happy dyno. Let it go.
Originally Posted by LightningTeg
And what power level does that happen exactly? You seem to know.
And how power happy does the dyno have to be exactly? You seem to know

Funniest part about this thread is everyone hopping on the dyno inaccuracy train, and trying to stand by the fact that he absolutely did make 470whp on some dyno.. (apparently Locash's, so his dynos are approx. 100+whp off? lol)
So how inaccurate is this dyno guys? Assuming it were 100% accurate, how much hp can you make on the 57 trim then Lightning; you seem to know

I think this thread can be summed up with (ironically for the OP's original question too)

91 pump gas.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Funniest part about this thread is everyone hopping on the dyno inaccuracy train, and trying to stand by the fact that he absolutely did make 470whp on some dyno.. (apparently Locash's, so his dynos are approx. 100+whp off? lol)
This basically started from you saying its impossible to make that number. But we are all in agreement that dyno numbers can be high or low. So that doesnt make it impossible does it?

And I pulled up 3 builds in 30 seconds from google of simple pump gas setups making anywhere from 420whp to 450whp at the upper end of the spectrum. So a rare 470whp on a good build doesn't sound unreasonable to me

So how inaccurate is this dyno guys? Assuming it were 100% accurate, how much hp can you make on the 57 trim then Lightning; you seem to know
I think this thread can be summed up with (ironically for the OP's original question too)

91 pump gas.
Goals for the car are 400whp which I know are more than attainable, but also know there won't be much room to grow after that. Do you guys think 20+psi is a lot to ask from that turbo to meet my goals? Would you keep it or change the setup and upgrade? Thanks in advance for any input

400whp EZY PZY.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by blackeg
i made 415 on jeff evans dynapack in '08 i think it was. right about 18-20 psi iirc on the 57 trim 93 octane. 84mmlsvtec. not that it was optimal at all, but it happened
So less than 400 because that's closer to flywheel hp

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC

Fact of the matter is, along time ago when I did run the 57 trim it made good power on E85.
84.5 mm Darton Sleeved Block
10:1 compression pistons
Eagle Rods

Joe Alaniz Race head
Type R cams
Edelbrock Manifold

**** I forgot to quote the 91 pump gas part, darn.

400whp..with 10 or 15% drivetrain loss? On....on....wait for it

91 pump gas?

Hell yeah man, 70whp+ off dyno is so worth defending, silly me.

Guess I'll be shooting for 400whp on my gt28 with 91, I'll make sure to downgrade my IC from the fullrace prostreet because shouldn't need that

I'll report back with the results
I expect you to be the first to congratulate me.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Update: Received my jdm gsr block yesterday complete with the CSS treatment. Dropped it off at the machine shop today to get the block decked and cylinders bored/honed .020 over to accept the 81.5 pistons (and rods) from the previous block.

I've decided to stay with the 57 trim for a few reasons. 1) It's freshly rebuilt and 2) I can still keep A/C. The block has been notched for this turbo to fit and everything fits like a glove. Not to mention i would be set back if I did get a bigger turbo as new fab work would come with it. Just going to ride it out. If I have to run a mix of race/pump gas to achieve 400whp on high boost, so be it. I shouldn't have to worry about cracking sleeves over 20psi anymore with the CSS.

Thanks to Jeff at cncwerx. Not enough good things to say about him. Turnaround time was fast and service was A+! Can't wait to get back on the dyno

Last edited by LD9Stunner; 03-31-2016 at 05:52 AM.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

thumps up hand signal
Old 03-31-2016, 08:07 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: CSS b18c, keep or ditch the ancient 57 trim?

Originally Posted by LD9Stunner

I've decided to stay with the 57 trim for a few reasons. 1) It's freshly rebuilt and 2) I can still keep A/C. The block has been notched for this turbo to fit and everything fits like a glove.

Those are just the housings. With that Top Mount manifold, you cane easily get over 650whp+ with a different turbocharger with the same dimension housings to still "fit like a glove", from the turbine bolt pattern to the compressor cover circumference. Just because one can make a turbo create more top end power, doesn't necessarily mean you have to leave the T3/T0E family. It's been done with both cast and billet wheel productions. You just have to know where to look and who to talk with.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Those are just the housings. With that Top Mount manifold, you cane easily get over 650whp+ with a different turbocharger with the same dimension housings to still "fit like a glove", from the turbine bolt pattern to the compressor cover circumference. Just because one can make a turbo create more top end power, doesn't necessarily mean you have to leave the T3/T0E family. It's been done with both cast and billet wheel productions. You just have to know where to look and who to talk with.
Makes sense, do you happen to know of anything off the top of your head? Also I'm actually not running a top mount, but rather a restrictive inline pro cast manifold.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For reference this is how tight of clearances im dealing with after trimming tab and some webbing off block.

Old 03-31-2016, 04:33 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by LD9Stunner
Makes sense, do you happen to know of anything off the top of your head? Also I'm actually not running a top mount, but rather a restrictive inline pro cast manifold.
Heh. .I could think of about 10 right off the bat., but it depends upon power goals and purpose.

Add for the inline pro manifold, I've heard it called many things, but restrictive it definitely is not
Old 10-19-2017, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well its been a busy past year and half since my last update. I've been super busy with other projects/life...BUT I have not given up and finally have some updates to share.

Engine is assembled and installed. CSS'd b18c with my old internals, new bearings, and rings (9:1 CP pistons w/Scat rods).
Came to my senses and decided to ditch the 57 trim, inlinepro manifold, and A/C in exchange for a journal bearing t3 GT3582r .63 exhaust, 3" inlet S cover intake mated to a new mini ram, 3" DP and old style tial 38MM gate with a dual core radiator to fit the new setup. Just need to modify the charge pipes of my previous setup for the new setup. Last thing on my list is selling my 750cc injectors in exchange for 1000cc's as my goal is 450-500whp.

As always, questions, comments, and constructive criticism welcome!

Old 10-19-2017, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Block and new manifold look great. Get 'er done!

Quick Reply: CSS b18c, keep or ditch the ancient 57 trim? **Updated 10/19/17, Page 3**