Notices

CRX Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRX Turbo?

Hey Guys,

Not sure if this is the right spot to post but I thought i'd ask anyways.

I'm considering doing a turbo on my B18C (ITR from Jap). I was just wondering what sort of things is involved. I know I'll need an intercooler, piping, the turbo etc etc. Those parts aren't a problem

The real question I have is the internals of the engine. I plan on ripping out the engine and completely rebuilding it so it can withstand the turbo. What do I need to do? Cam replacement? re-bore cylinder heads? new pistons?

Also if I re-bore what's the general rule of bore-ing? How much am i allowed to bore it out to?

Any input on this would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-11-2010, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CRX Turbo?

im also curious to know about this also..

searching owns you buddy
Old 04-11-2010, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There is a turbo section in this forum if you cannot find it then you should not do a turbo build by yourself you will need to know how every part of the turbo function and it is way to much to re type for everyone who is lazy. That is why there is a sticky in the turbo section.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a good place to start is rods and pistons low compression loves boost if u have specific engine questions as to the bore and the hone u should ask ur local engine machine shop a good place to look for engine build kits is www.fjdistributors.com the engine will only be as good as u build it and what u put in is what ull get out so plan on spending some $$$
Old 04-12-2010, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i personally know someone with an ITR bone stock on boost, it had a greddy kit and it was great....until emanage killed it. in short. just get it tuned and you should be ok.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a good tune is important but it wont do u a bit of good if u dont have a sturdy powerplant to handle the boost. take my advice i have a degree in automotive technology build ur engine to hold the power and then tune it to optimize power
Old 04-13-2010, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 88EFrex
a good tune is important but it wont do u a bit of good if u dont have a sturdy powerplant to handle the boost. take my advice i have a degree in automotive technology build ur engine to hold the power and then tune it to optimize power
It depends on what the OP's HP range is, there are a lot of people on here running stock engines turbo'd and have had them running for quite a few years.

OP, I would build the bottom end if you are looking to go over 300whp. A stock B Series engine can handle 300whp reliably with a proper tune. If you are looking to go over that then I would start doing pistons and rods to handle the power. You having a Type R engine your head and cams will be fine for 450-500whp, there is a guy on here right now who has just put pistons and rods in his b18c type R but that was it on the internals and did some little things such as a throttle body and everything and with his set up he put out 522whp or so. That is with a stock type R head.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im not trying to b sarcastic or negative in any way just giving u another option

u could sell the type r and use the money to buy a cheaper engine (gsr) and use the left over money to buy a turbo system and a good tune

and if u need more power u will atleast need forged internals (rods and low comp pistons)bigger injectors fuel pump

that should get u started
Old 04-14-2010, 01:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Lower compression pistons isn't always the way to go when it comes to boost. Depending on the OP's plans and specifics, a compression ratio close to the stock ITR's could be beneficial. A good tune(r) is much more important than having a built motor IMO. You could have forged parts and a sleeved block, but without a good tune(r), it won't be any better than a stock block.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by madblkscientist
im not trying to b sarcastic or negative in any way just giving u another option

u could sell the type r and use the money to buy a cheaper engine (gsr) and use the left over money to buy a turbo system and a good tune

and if u need more power u will atleast need forged internals (rods and low comp pistons)bigger injectors fuel pump

that should get u started
if he wanna make more power than a stock compression gsr engine can make then he should invest in better pistons (9.5-10:1) and better rods, he can get farther with a gsr "money wise" than a type r

for instance u can slap a turbokit onto a stock gsr and a type r but u can run slightly higher boost with a gsr, plus if u sell the type r u can get a gsr and have money left over to buy a turbo kit or the parts to put 1 together
Old 04-14-2010, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by madblkscientist
if he wanna make more power than a stock compression gsr engine can make then he should invest in better pistons (9.5-10:1) and better rods, he can get farther with a gsr "money wise" than a type r

for instance u can slap a turbokit onto a stock gsr and a type r but u can run slightly higher boost with a gsr, plus if u sell the type r u can get a gsr and have money left over to buy a turbo kit or the parts to put 1 together
That is true. but I would just keep the Type R engine and piece a turbo together and other parts to get it all the way it should be, that's just me though.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

head studs and good head gasket are a must! other than that depends on what power you want to make. I have made 378whp on 16 psi with a STOCK B18c1 that has 120,xxx miles. I know a guy with a "stock" LS-Vtec that makes just at 430whp at 14 psi on e85. Buy "stock" I mean stock LS bottom end and stock b16a head with head studs
Old 04-18-2010, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what comp is the ls/vtec