Notices

Crower billet vs Manley turbo tuff vs Pauter vs Carrillo pro-h rods

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crower billet vs Manley turbo tuff vs Pauter vs Carrillo pro-h rods

My new build should lay down around 700whp on race gas and I do not want to have a weak link in the engine.

Out of the rods listed in the title-Crower billet, manely turbo tuff, pauter, and carrillo pro-h- which would you recommend at this power level?
O and i don't want to hear any bs about the new eagles supporting 900whp....like i said before, I do not/will not have a weak link in this engine.

I've searched around and all the rods seem to get good reviews and all are rated to and past my power level, so now i'm really just looking for personal experience/facts to shed some insight on which rods I should go with.

Any help is appreciated
Old 03-19-2007, 07:08 AM

Default Re: Crower billet vs Manley turbo tuff vs Pauter vs Carrillo pro-h rods (CivicVX94)

For the money, design and personal experience-Pauter hands down. Sorry,can't speak for other brands you've mentioned.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Crower billet vs Manley turbo tuff vs Pauter vs Carrillo pro-h rods (accordking)

Pauter and Manley are the only ones we've had hold up good enough in the alcohol race cars.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crower billet vs Manley turbo tuff vs Pauter vs Carrillo pro-h rods (accordking)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by accordking &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For the money, design and personal experience-Pauter hands down. Sorry,can't speak for other brands you've mentioned. </TD></TR></TABLE>
it's cool, thanks for your opinion

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Pauter and Manley are the only ones we've had hold up good enough in the alcohol race cars.</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow...i'm surprised that the carrillo's did not. they seem to come with quite a bit of hype.
Thanks for your help
price ranges......
crower steel billet ~700
pauter rods ~700
Manely ~700
carrillo pro h ~1000
eagles "esp" ~300

Do you really "get what you pay for" or are most "high" end rods equal quality?

Modified by CivicVX94 at 11:41 AM 3/19/2007
Old 03-19-2007, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crower billet vs Manley turbo tuff vs Pauter vs Carrillo pro-h rods (CivicVX94)

I think price generally has a decent reflection on quality, but not necessarily strength. I think crower rods are decent quality, but not as strong as pauter or manley.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crower billet vs Manley turbo tuff vs Pauter vs Carrillo pro-h rods (tony1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think price generally has a decent reflection on quality, but not necessarily strength. I think crower rods are decent quality, but not as strong as pauter or manley. </TD></TR></TABLE>
quality as in weight difference? or just how they are constructed in general?
where are the carrillo's on your list?

also, how do you feel about oliver rods? they are steel billet like pauter also and right around the same price range..
Old 03-19-2007, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crower billet vs Manley turbo tuff vs Pauter vs Carrillo pro-h rods (tony1)

what's ur setup so far b16 or b18?
Old 03-19-2007, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crower billet vs Manley turbo tuff vs Pauter vs Carrillo pro-h rods (VtecCarHauler)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VtecCarHauler &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what's ur setup so far b16 or b18?</TD></TR></TABLE>
this thread is a discussion on connecting rods.
let's try and stay on topic, sorry
Old 03-19-2007, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicVX94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
it's cool, thanks for your opinion

wow...i'm surprised that the carrillo's did not. they seem to come with quite a bit of hype.
Thanks for your help
price ranges......
crower steel billet ~700
pauter rods ~600
Manely ~700
carrillo pro h ~1000
eagles "esp" ~300

Do you really "get what you pay for" or are most "high" end rods equal quality?</TD></TR></TABLE>

where the hell can you get pauter rods for 600?? i would love to buy 2 more sets lol!
Old 03-19-2007, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crower billet vs Manley turbo tuff vs Pauter vs Carrillo pro-h rods (Mykizism)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mykizism &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

where the hell can you get pauter rods for 600?? i would love to buy 2 more sets lol!</TD></TR></TABLE>
**** i meant ~700
but anyways http://www.importperformancepa....html
first place i looked lol....
Old 03-19-2007, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

here are some pics of eagle rods next to pauter rods.. makes the eagles look weaker than stock
Old 03-19-2007, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crower billet vs Manley turbo tuff vs Pauter vs Carrillo pro-h rods (Mykizism)

haha ya the eagles do look pretty dinky and the pauters look beefy as expletive...
Thanks for the pic, now more people will click this thread
Old 03-19-2007, 07:44 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

i can get pauters for $650 shipped. but i was able to find a used set off a reputable guy for $480 shipped so i picked that up.
anyways, i think that pic with the eagle rods comparison is with the old style rod and bolts. the manley rods have even bigger bolts than the pauters i believe. but if eggum can run pauter, i think theyre good enough for me
Old 03-19-2007, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crower billet vs Manley turbo tuff vs Pauter vs Carrillo pro-h rods (zeimbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zeimbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i can get pauters for $650 shipped. but i was able to find a used set off a reputable guy for $480 shipped so i picked that up.
anyways, i think that pic with the eagle rods comparison is with the old style rod and bolts. the manley rods have even bigger bolts than the pauters i believe. but if eggum can run pauter, i think theyre good enough for me </TD></TR></TABLE>
damn that's an awesome price for pauters...wherecan you get them at that price for?
who's eggum? i searched that name and it says there is no user named that?
so i take it pauter are badass but manely&gt;pauter?
Old 03-19-2007, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What's the weight like on the Pauter's for the Honda? I know they are heavy as hell for most motors.

I could be wrong, but it seems like many rod failures are due to RPM and not bending from the compression loads. A heavy rod seems like it would cause more problems?
Old 03-19-2007, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (99_GS-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99_GS-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What's the weight like on the Pauter's for the Honda? I know they are heavy as hell for most motors.

I could be wrong, but it seems like many rod failures are due to RPM and not bending from the compression loads. A heavy rod seems like it would cause more problems?</TD></TR></TABLE>
weight is 517grams, which is less than manely, eagle, oliver....
i don't see how a heavy rod could cause more problems....
have you ever seen ******? heavy is reliable

which a high hp application you need beefy rods, not some toothpicks. the power difference made from a few grams lighter rod can easily be made up for by upping the boost
Old 03-19-2007, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (99_GS-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99_GS-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What's the weight like on the Pauter's for the Honda? I know they are heavy as hell for most motors.

I could be wrong, but it seems like many rod failures are due to RPM and not bending from the compression loads. A heavy rod seems like it would cause more problems?</TD></TR></TABLE>

the pauter rods def weigh more then a stock rod, but not much more than a eagle rod, they are surpising ligher then they look thats for sure..

i know my motor runs a lot smoother with pauter rods then it did when i had eagles.. but with the pauter rods i had benson balanced and polish my crank.. with eagles i rad my crank "stock" (60k) miles on it.. still new to me.

but over all pauters have been proven and i would def go with pauter over anything else
Old 03-19-2007, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mykizism)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mykizism &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
the pauter rods def weigh more then a stock rod, but not much more than a eagle rod, they are surpising ligher then they look thats for sure..

i know my motor runs a lot smoother with pauter rods then it did when i had eagles.. but with the pauter rods i had benson balanced and polish my crank.. with eagles i rad my crank "stock" (60k) miles on it.. still new to me.

but over all pauters have been proven and i would def go with pauter over anything else</TD></TR></TABLE>

my entire rotating assembly will be balanced, so that won't be an issue.
but thanks for your opinion, i was dead set on carrillo's till this thread and now i'm shifting towards pauter or manely and save a lot of cash
Old 03-19-2007, 08:20 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicVX94 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn that's an awesome price for pauters...wherecan you get them at that price for?
who's eggum? i searched that name and it says there is no user named that?
so i take it pauter are badass but manely&gt;pauter?</TD></TR></TABLE>

https://honda-tech.com/zero...94437
= eggum. she was running pauter rods before they went to custom aluminum rods when she tuned around 1200whp.
and i cant say where i get that pricing from, but ill tell you that most retailers cost is between $580-$650 for a b18 set of of pauter rods.
i wouldnt say that manley are better than pauter, but i wouldnt not run them in my engine. im doing a complete overbuild on my motor, probably able to support around 700-900whp but im only planning to daily it with around 350whp @ 10lbs
Old 03-19-2007, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crower billet vs Manley turbo tuff vs Pauter vs Carrillo pro-h rods (zeimbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zeimbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

https://honda-tech.com/zero...94437
= eggum. she was running pauter rods before they went to custom aluminum rods when she tuned around 1200whp.
and i cant say where i get that pricing from, but ill tell you that most retailers cost is between $580-$650 for a b18 set of of pauter rods.
i wouldnt say that manley are better than pauter, but i wouldnt not run them in my engine. im doing a complete overbuild on my motor, probably able to support around 700-900whp but im only planning to daily it with around 350whp @ 10lbs</TD></TR></TABLE>
holy ****...she had off-the-shelf pauter's and was running 7's? that's nuts...
i plan to run my engine at about thesame power level as you for dd'ing, but i want it to be stout for the abuse it'll take on the dyno and at the track. i want it to be competive this year and do not want to snap a rod after a pass or two....
Old 03-19-2007, 09:38 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

no, she had off the shelf pauters and was running like 9's, not sure if she was in the 8's with the pauters. she eventually switched to completely custom crazy *** aluminum rods and is putting down like 1200-1300hp. weight has some influence on rod efficiency tho when youre spinning them so fast, thats why she switched to aluminum.
go with pauter rods, i think theyre rated at like 900 or 1000hp, something like that and they are proven time and time again. and if youre going with a turbo that will lay down 700+hp at the track, its probably not going to spool daily until like 6k or so.
if you dont want a weak link;
get a golden eagle crank
acl bearings
pauter rods
moroso oil pickup, windage tray, oil pan, function7 girdle, arp mainstuds, all new seals and gaskets. also get your block copper o-ring'd and then after you get all that stuff, have your builder line hone everything and balance the engine. make sure to triple check every measurement (piston to wall, etc)
Old 03-19-2007, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zeimbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
get a golden eagle crank
acl bearings
pauter rods
moroso oil pickup, windage tray, oil pan, function7 girdle, arp mainstuds, all new seals and gaskets. also get your block copper o-ring'd and then after you get all that stuff, have your builder line hone everything and balance the engine. make sure to triple check every measurement (piston to wall, etc)</TD></TR></TABLE>

is this a combination that you have come up with from experience, or just naming all the things you can think of?

Golden Eagle crank?

Keep it simple, stock oil pump, stock windage try, stock main caps and bolts, stock crank, stock honda bearings, stock oil pan, stock gaskets and seals. All you need is good rods.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Tony, maybe he meant to say "A gold painted Eagle crank"?

Old 03-19-2007, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

is this a combination that you have come up with from experience, or just naming all the things you can think of?

Golden Eagle crank?

Keep it simple, stock oil pump, stock windage try, stock main caps and bolts, stock crank, stock honda bearings, stock oil pan, stock gaskets and seals. All you need is good rods.</TD></TR></TABLE>

hey tony dont you run like 9's with all that u listed?
Old 03-19-2007, 10:18 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is this a combination that you have come up with from experience, or just naming all the things you can think of?

Golden Eagle crank?

Keep it simple, stock oil pump, stock windage try, stock main caps and bolts, stock crank, stock honda bearings, stock oil pan, stock gaskets and seals. All you need is good rods.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ive run the ge crank, acl bearings, pauter rods, and arp mains along with the moroso oil pan. this was in an 84mm ls/vtec with 13:1, itb's and direct port 150 shot.
i know you can run the stock stuff and usually be fine, but this guys whole point is:
"I do not/will not have a weak link in this engine."

Quick Reply: Crower billet vs Manley turbo tuff vs Pauter vs Carrillo pro-h rods