Notices

Creep on turbo setup

Old 01-11-2003, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creep on turbo setup

I am relatively new to the technical aspects of running forced induction by way of turbo. I am very sound in the mechanical part, but technical gets me *** backwards some time. I am starting to see the word "creep" used more and more frequently in a few of the posts I am reading throughout the boards. What exactly is "Creep"? I am assuming its not turbo lag...and I've read that in order to fix it you would have to do several differernt alterations depending on each particular setup. Reason I ask is that I've never heard of the term and when asking about creating a setup for my own use, no one has ever told me that I might experience it with any particular kit...mainly pointing out the GReedy kit...considering it comes with an internal wg. It creep only associated with an internal wg...or is it assoicated with the size of turbo, downpipe, exhaust, etc?
Old 01-11-2003, 09:20 AM

Default Re: Creep on turbo setup (RiceBurner98SC)

Creep is the slow increase of boost caused usually by internal WG's, and the opening for them not being able to flow the amount of waste gases for the desired boost level. OK?
Old 01-11-2003, 10:56 AM

Default Re: Creep on turbo setup (tzsir)

So, its not turbo lag, its just creating boost consistantly, but not at a "normal" rate? And is the ONLY factor causing creep an internal wastegate? I ask because I was going to go with the GReedy kit for my 94 Integra LS, which was highly recommended by many people. But considering it has an internal wg, I'm hoping to get as much info as possible, to avoid problems such as creep. And considering that it uses a smaller turbo, I was under the impression that it would spool up faster because of the size.
Old 01-11-2003, 12:43 PM

Default Re: Creep on turbo setup (RiceBurner98SC)

No, but your getting closer.

It's the unwanted increase of boost beyond what you specify with a boost controller. It's caused because the wastegate opening is not large enough to account for the amount of boost you set your controller at. Yes the turbo won't be the problem with the greddy unit. it's the size of the wastegate opening when you increase the boost levels and open up the exhaust more. You can do a similar mods to what Falcon or Jalopysir did if you go the same route they did. Both ways work quite well for eliminating *creep*

If you add a larger diameter exhaust like Falcon did this problem increases in severity. Do to the larger opening allowing greater flow than is coming out of the wastegate. So the pressure builds up and keeps increasing the speed at which the turbo spins, which in turn causes your boost levels on the exhaust side to slowly increase beyond what your wastegate was accuated with the boost controller.

It's like sucking milk through a straw, but in reality your just creating a vacuum and the weight of the surrounding air and the milk itself are forcing the milk up the straw. There is no such thing as pull in physic's it's all pressures playing a balancing act. I hope that makes sense. It's hard to explain these kind of things with-out over-whelming someone with terminology.

I think I went overboard, but you understand now right?

[Modified by tzsir, 3:44 PM 1/11/2003]
Old 01-11-2003, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Creep on turbo setup (tzsir)

I understand now. Falco says he can't control boost after 7psi...meaning that his ebc is set at 7psi, but because of the internal wg, it will still slowly "creep" up, thus not be able to technically control the boost? I think I need to do alot more research to make sure I pick the right setup and understand the fundamentals of Forced Induction so I dont run into any major problems. Thanks