Creating a Downpipe with Ecutout (Which Design is the BEST???)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 07:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creating a Downpipe with Ecutout (Which Design is the BEST???)

I'm going to be putting a e-cutout on my car within the next few weeks. We plan to fabricate a custom downpipe w/ the ecutout on one end of course, while the other branches off into the stock cat/exhaust. There are many different designs that I have seen for Hondas so far. Please add other types of designs you have seen and the pros and cons of each. I hope the designers dont mind me using their models as an example.

This design seems to be more made to fit with AC. I'm kind of worried about the design of this one that running on a closed cutout could possibly build up pressure (if you are running the car hard) and go back into the turbo and possibly destroying the turbo. When open though it should be highly affective.

Then there is this design. Basically this design would be safer when driving on a closed cutout since the pipe is not so close to the turbo. Then again when the cutout is open there is still going to be a lot of pressure in the normal exhaust because of the location of the pipe for the cutout. Also getting the oil filter maybe a challenge. The first design would obviously flow better on a open cutout.
Old 01-03-2004, 07:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Creating a Downpipe with Ecutout (MwGSR)

First would flow much better while open, second would flow decent both ways. What I would do is run the cutout valve a little lower down than in the first picture, but instead of the pipe going straight to normal exhaust, I would have the pipe to straight to the cutout, and have the merge pipe going to the normal exhaust, if you know what I mean. I'll try and draw a diagram.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:05 PM

The first one will provide more power when it's open compared to the 2nd. The 2nd will provide more flow with the cutout closed, compared to the first one.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:11 PM

Default Re: Creating a Downpipe with Ecutout (boosted92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">First would flow much better while open, second would flow decent both ways. What I would do is run the cutout valve a little lower down than in the first picture, but instead of the pipe going straight to normal exhaust, I would have the pipe to straight to the cutout, and have the merge pipe going to the normal exhaust, if you know what I mean. I'll try and draw a diagram.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So you would have the normal exhaust coming straight off the turbo while the cutout would branch off that. Make a little digram. Seems like a pretty good idea.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:12 PM

Default Re: Creating a Downpipe with Ecutout (MadCow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MadCow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The first one will provide more power when it's open compared to the 2nd. The 2nd will provide more flow with the cutout closed, compared to the first one.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly but i'm a little worried about the overall safety of the first one while it's closed. I'm trying to create something that will be safe and flow decently both open and closed. I'm not keeping A/C so I have a lot of room to play with.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:14 PM

This is the type of design that I had had in mind. What do you think? Again ac is not an issue.

Old 01-03-2004, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heres more what I had in mind. Cutout is on the main branch so it makes the most power while its open, but a very smooth transition with as little turbulence as possible to the normal exhaust so you can still make some power with it.

And you dont have to tell me I have the drawing skills of a 12 year old with add
Old 01-03-2004, 09:04 PM

Default Re: Creating a Downpipe with Ecutout (boosted92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Heres more what I had in mind. Cutout is on the main branch so it makes the most power while its open, but a very smooth transition with as little turbulence as possible to the normal exhaust so you can still make some power with it.

And you dont have to tell me I have the drawing skills of a 12 year old with add </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok well after looking at your design wouldn't the ecutout sit right under the oil pan or a little past it? That would be kind of low to the ground I am thinking. Especially since my car is lowered.
Old 01-03-2004, 09:45 PM

something like this crappy drawing is what I had planned on my car. If you're worried about the cutout being low it could almost be staggered upwards of the normal exhaust, can't explain it but you have room behind the oilpan and between the rear crossmember on most cars.

Red is E-cutout and blue arrow goes to stock exhaust.
Old 01-03-2004, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm pretty satisfied with mine.. i feel that i have good power closed and open

Old 01-03-2004, 10:19 PM

Default Re: Creating a Downpipe with Ecutout (accordfreak)

cool, your setup is what I was drawing just flipped over but the same concept that I think you guys are refferring to.
Old 01-03-2004, 10:37 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by accordfreak &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm pretty satisfied with mine.. i feel that i have good power closed and open
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I like the layout of this one the most. I have a few questions. Can you easily access your Oil Filter w/ this downpipe? Have you dynod it between open and closed? Are you able to beat on the car with the valve closed?
Old 01-04-2004, 04:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I like that setup. Ok; but what actually does the ecutout do? I kind of got an idea but still a lil unsure.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Creating a Downpipe with Ecutout (rocket256)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rocket256 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I like that setup. Ok; but what actually does the ecutout do? I kind of got an idea but still a lil unsure. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You flip a switch and 3 to 5 seconds later, you are running open header. This frees up a shitload of horsepower, i've heard of gains of over 30whp over an aftermarket exhaust system. You can typically expect at least 10 whp.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:22 AM
Banned

Default Re: Creating a Downpipe with Ecutout (nojoke)

how about manual cut-outs??? anybody ever used one??? or know where to get them?