Notices

Crazy Tach Needle, Breaking Up, Ignitor or Coil?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Crazy Tach Needle, Breaking Up, Ignitor or Coil? (DaX)

mine was doing that before i sold it. I thought i fixed it by buttoning up all the connections in the dist.
But it turns out the power wire to the ignition needed to be rerouted. i guess over time it got a fucked up signal and was causing some probs
Old 02-21-2005, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dturbocivic)

also finding an ignitor other than a junkyard or Honda is like Non existant. I tried already. And they are a few hundred pesos from Honda
Old 02-21-2005, 06:41 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts
Default Re: (PrettyLude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PrettyLude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i've been waiting for someone to put that together and how long it would last</TD></TR></TABLE>

I bought everything to build the circuit today. I had to order the transistors through Digikey, so they'll be here in a few days. Everything else I got from Ack.

It's going to take me a week or two to gather up all the MSD ****...$$ is kinda tight right now. I'll post up pictures and stuff as I make progress.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DaX)

whats the average life of the stock ignitor ?

sounds like you got a good idea going DaX.... keep us posted.

platinum.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:04 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (platinum00)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by platinum00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whats the average life of the stock ignitor ?

sounds like you got a good idea going DaX.... keep us posted.

platinum.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm hearing of guys burning through one to six a year! That's way too much money...I'll go ahead and spend the cash on an MSD setup right now.

So far the circuit has cost me roughly $35, haha.

I bought two of each transistor, JIC...from Digikey w/shipping = $16
Resistors = $3
Enclosure = $5
Prototype Board = $2
Heat Sink = $2
Thermal Compound = $3
Solder = $2
Desoldering Braid = $2
Old 02-22-2005, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a DIS system and call it a day.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:14 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MidShipCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MidShipCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Get a DIS system and call it a day.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Elaborate please.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1 - 6 a yr. jesus.

i have never even heard of this problem before now.

great something else i gotta worry about.

platinum.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Elaborate please. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont know if your up for it but electromotive has a nice little standalone ignition system (ditches the distributor) with a crank trigger and high energy inductive coils, they also have a custom crank trigger to put on b-series motors.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:56 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

For the time being, I'm only looking to spend in the $200 range, and I've already bought the things to build the MSD Trigger Adapter circuit.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

do you need a MSD box to use the Trigger Adapter Circuit, or can you just run a modified cap and a external coil with this setup..

platinum.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:49 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

You absolutely must have an MSD box to run the circuit.

Modified by DaX at 11:49 AM 4/7/2005
Old 02-28-2005, 05:54 AM

Default Re: Crazy Tach Needle, Breaking Up, Ignitor or Coil? (itr206)

You can buy a 92-93 Civic Si ignitor from Advance Auto for about $60. They have a lifetime warranty. The 92-93 Civic Si ignitor from Honda is about $100. For some reason they are cheaper than the newer model year ones. They work in all OBD1 and OBD2 B series distributors.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice work DaX

keep us posted on the results.

platinum
Old 02-28-2005, 07:48 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crazy Tach Needle, Breaking Up, Ignitor or Coil? (boomslang)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boomslang &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can buy a 92-93 Civic Si ignitor from Advance Auto for about $60. They have a lifetime warranty. The 92-93 Civic Si ignitor from Honda is about $100. For some reason they are cheaper than the newer model year ones. They work in all OBD1 and OBD2 B series distributors.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wish I would have known this sooner...I went to Advance and AutoZone and both said they don't sell just the ignitor...they could sell me the entire distributor though. Oh well, I've already bought everything to ditch the stock ignitor...everything should be sitting on my doorstep today when I get home.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by platinum00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nice work DaX

keep us posted on the results.

platinum</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll be sure to keep everyone up to speed. I just hope I made the circuit right! I ordered two of everything just in case.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Crazy Tach Needle, Breaking Up, Ignitor or Coil? (DaX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I wish I would have known this sooner...I went to Advance and AutoZone and both said they don't sell just the ignitor...they could sell me the entire distributor though. Oh well, I've already bought everything to ditch the stock ignitor...everything should be sitting on my doorstep today when I get home.

I'll be sure to keep everyone up to speed. I just hope I made the circuit right! I ordered two of everything just in case.</TD></TR></TABLE>

sweet... keep us posted
Old 02-28-2005, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slow poke)

DAX if this works, you will be my hero, right before i pulled my motor, my ignitor started to do the same thing yours was doing, so i just passed it off as, i'll find an ignitor as the car was down.

Fast forward to now, i have the blaster SS coil wired up, i have a new MSD 6a, i had it on there at first, but it died within 10 days, got a new one under warrenty.

so i have everything needed to run this setup, besides the little ignition module. I often wonder that with my J&S ultrasafeguard if i'd be able to use it to convert the ignition trigger output from the ecu, but never could find any details. Either way, i'd love to kill the ignitor, as its just a piece of wasted space.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:56 PM

Default Re: (seen4ever)

Hey Dax, I finally got a hold of my friend although you have already come up with a solution. It turns out he only does alternators and starters!!

There must be someone out there that sells oem ingniters at a decent price!
Old 02-28-2005, 05:47 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ibiza)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ibiza &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey Dax, I finally got a hold of my friend although you have already come up with a solution. It turns out he only does alternators and starters!!

There must be someone out there that sells oem ingniters at a decent price!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the effort though man! Although they told me they absolutely don't carry any ignitors for Hondas, Boomslang said in a few posts above that Advanced sell the ignitor for a 92-93 Civic SI for about $60. It wouldn't hurt to try checking them out again.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by seen4ever &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">DAX if this works, you will be my hero, right before i pulled my motor, my ignitor started to do the same thing yours was doing, so i just passed it off as, i'll find an ignitor as the car was down.

Fast forward to now, i have the blaster SS coil wired up, i have a new MSD 6a, i had it on there at first, but it died within 10 days, got a new one under warrenty.

so i have everything needed to run this setup, besides the little ignition module. I often wonder that with my J&S ultrasafeguard if i'd be able to use it to convert the ignition trigger output from the ecu, but never could find any details. Either way, i'd love to kill the ignitor, as its just a piece of wasted space.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why did your 6A die? If all goes well, I'll have my car running by tomorrow afternoon. I found some data sheets on the transistors used...I'm going to recheck my circuit in the morning to make sure all is well.

Modified by DaX at 10:01 PM 2/28/2005
Old 03-01-2005, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the 6a just uped and died, MSD sent me a replacement unit once i sent them the receipt. But I never got any reports as to why it died.

talk about driving you nuts, just get car running after being down for over a year, then spark issues, I didn't know if it was the J&S or some other wiring, or ecu, etc etc. the MSD happened to be the last thing I checked and then boom, car started up. I haven't re-installed it, but I can't wait to see the outcome of your car. I'd love to bypass the ignitor.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:28 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Well, after wiring all damn day, the thing runs great!

I'm IGNITORLESS!!!!

I have absolutely no issues with it...fired up on the first time.

I'm going to wire in the MSD kill switch later this week.

I'm so excited...TUNING THIS FRIDAY!
Old 03-01-2005, 03:39 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

do you have any pics of the finished product, like inside the dizzy and where you mounted the adapter?

you wanna help me do this and some misc wiring to my car once i get the motor back in? lol
Old 03-01-2005, 03:42 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wantboost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wantboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you have any pics of the finished product, like inside the dizzy and where you mounted the adapter?

you wanna help me do this and some misc wiring to my car once i get the motor back in? lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

Let me know when...I may be willing to help a fellow ATLien out with some wiring.

Modified by DaX at 4:56 PM 3/10/2005
Old 03-01-2005, 03:48 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

werd

im gonna try redoing the main engine harness with some weather pack connectors and a tad bit bigger wire, so hopefully i wont screw that up, lol might end up getting my dad to help me a little, but if youd help me with some final things and that dizzy mod that would be amazing

EDIT: 3rd page OWNAGE
Old 03-10-2005, 12:53 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wantboost)

As promised here are pictures:

Here is all the **** I removed from my distributor...the coil and the ignitor with all the respective wiring. If doing this conversion, be sure to save the plug shown in the picture...this is where you'll feed the MSD's tach signal into [blue wire] and where you'll feed the MSD and trigger circuit 12V switched from [black/yellow wire]:

This is where the wiring harness goes into the distributor...you can see the places where I removed the wires. From top to bottom, it was BLK/YEL [12V in], BLU [tach], and YEL/GRN [trigger].

I re-used the plug with the BLK/YEL and BLU wires going to it...running the blue wire to the tach output from my MSD box [so that everything that needs a tach signal gets it from the stock location] and I used the black/yellow wire [12V switched] to power the trigger adapter circuit and as the 12V switched for the MSD box.

My gutted distributor...only a home for CKP, TDC, and CYP sensors and the rotor button...sans rotor button and scatter shield in this picture.

This is my trigger adapter circuit...sorry for it being a shitty shot. I would have taken it out of the enclosure for the photo but I'm lazy. At the top of the photo you can see the three resistors. The 2n2222 transistor is the silver canister one. The ZTX857 transistor is the small black one.

Here is the schematic for the trigger adapter circuit taken from PGMFI.org...I added a few details to it to make it a little more clear:

Modified by DaX at 5:34 PM 12/28/2007

Quick Reply: Crazy Tach Needle, Breaking Up, Ignitor or Coil?