Notices

crankwalk in a honda?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2002, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default crankwalk in a honda?

I know you dont hear about crankwalk in hondas...its more a DSM thing. But something is very wrong with my honda and this is the only thing i can think of.

The motor: 92-95 d16z6 with unknown milage, ive put 10,000 miles on it since i got it. I got it from a friend who had it in pieces in his garage. When i put it together the rod bearings looked like they had less then 5,000 miles use, but the cyl walls showed maybe 100,000 - 150,000 miles wear. I have no idea what shape the main's looked like i didnt look. I repleced a bad piston by swapped in a spare i had in a box with a new ring, reused the rod bearing and called it a day. Compression is ~145psi all across.

Ive been boosting 10-13psi daily on this motor for the last 10,000 miles without any problems what-so-ever. Ive used my ACT xtreme pressure plate (similar to an ACT 2600 in the dsm world) with a hybrid street disc and jun lightweight flywheel the whole time.

About two weeks ago i started hearing weird sounds from the motor. I didnt think much of it at the time as you could barely hear anything. About a week later the sound was getting louder. At the same time..i started having tranny problems. I couldnt shift into gears sometimes and then it would go away. Well that was my ACT clutch dying. One of the springs on the clutch disc broke and started making really bad noises. Last nite my friend and i pulled the tranny off and replaced the bad ACT (the pressure plate was warpped and the disc distoryed but no damage to my jun flywheel thank god) with a spare ACT xtss we had in our garage.

With the clutch problem fixed (new clutch is awesome btw)..the noise is still there...!! And its getting worse and fast. Within the last week it went from hardly anything to really loud.

So to the problem. It sounds like a GGRRRRRRRRRRR sound sorta like a growl, you can only hear it when the motor is increasing or decreasing rpms (and shifting). If you hold the motor at 5,000 rpms its a normal quiet honda purr. But start blip'n the throttle and its GGRR GRRR GRRR. With the car stopped in neutral and the cluch out blip'n the throttle the noise is loud...but push in the clutch the noise is MUCH worse.

Now it cant be a rod bearing, for one if it was the motor wouldnt be running now and you dont hear anything if you hold it at 5,000 rpms. Cant be something related to the head as the clutch would make no difference in the sound. Cant be the tranny because with the clutch in and the car not moving..the tranny isnt turning. That only leaves the crank.

Also when the motor is making the GGRRRRR sound the clutch peddle vibrates. (as with the rest of the car)

So that leaves me with crankwalk. Maybe the thrust bearings?

So now i would like some ideas. Im planning on removing the oil pan and checking the main bearings (and the rods at the same time might as well) and look for wear. Has anybody every heard of this? Ideas? Comments?

thanks,
liam

here is a nice picture of the crank and thrust bearings. The thrust bearings are #3.

[Modified by liam821, 10:57 PM 10/29/2002]
Old 10-29-2002, 10:00 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: crankwalk in a honda? (liam821)

easiest way to tell on your motor is to remove the plastic timing cover. Have a friend start the car, and let it idle in Neutral. Then, have him depress the clutch, and repeat engaging and disengaging the clutch while in neutral. If the thrust bearings are making that noise, then you'll notice the timing belt moving back and forth on the cam gear. Go try it, it's an easy test.
Old 10-29-2002, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

....I'm starting to hear the same thing.

Whats weird Is I just replaced my clutch 8,000 ago as well
Old 10-30-2002, 01:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Crank walk does seem to be a big problem with certain DSMs, but I've never heard of it with Hondas. I'd think that you probably just spun a bearing, though I honestly can't be sure. good luck.
Old 10-30-2002, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: crankwalk in a honda? (ion_four)

i got a 99 y8 crank for sale if you need one
Old 10-30-2002, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: crankwalk in a honda? (aemcivic_02917)

What about the throwout bearing?
Old 10-30-2002, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: crankwalk in a honda? (turbosol)

Sounds like a tranny problem.
Old 10-30-2002, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: crankwalk in a honda? (BoostedEX)

Sounds like a tranny problem.
Well from listening it sounds like it coming from the bottom of the motor. And it does it with the clutch in when the car is stopped and in netural...so the tranny isnt moving. Im almost possitive its not a tranny problem.

VaporTrail: I tried that and my timing belt doesnt move..although the problem is still pretty new and i might not beable to tell.

Im going to pull the pan this weekend and lookie.

Thanks for all your help.

liam
Old 10-30-2002, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like a throwout bearing.
Old 10-30-2002, 02:55 PM
New User

Default Re: crankwalk in a honda? (Jared)

Just to ride in on this thread, I have been noticing a really nasty rattling noise when idling in neutral which goes away when I push in the clutch... anyone have any ideas what this could be? I've heard something like this when the springs on my stock clutch were vibrating loose but now I'm running an UNsprung clutchnet disk!
Old 10-30-2002, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: crankwalk in a honda? (dbman96)

most likely the trans input shaft bearing. i have seen several of these going bad lately. it makes the same sound
Old 10-30-2002, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: crankwalk in a honda? (speedworks)

most likely the trans input shaft bearing. i have seen several of these going bad lately. it makes the same sound
You mean the pilot bearing? I checked both it and the throwout bearing when i swapped the clutch.

I also wouldnt see why pilot or a throwout bearing would make the whole engine shake though. When it GRRRR's it dances. When i checked them they were both quiet and smooth.

liam
Old 10-30-2002, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no, by input shaft bearing, he means the one in the bell housing where the trans input shaft goes through.
Old 10-30-2002, 04:13 PM
saso

check your bearings, mains and rods.
Old 10-30-2002, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: crankwalk in a honda? (VaporTrail)

Then, have him depress the clutch, and repeat engaging and disengaging the clutch while in neutral. If the thrust bearings are making that noise, then you'll notice the timing belt moving back and forth on the cam gear.

With timing belt cover off, does the staggering of the timing belt really indicate something?? Becuz, I've had that on my motor, and had a feeling that it could indicate something....
Old 10-30-2002, 06:32 PM
GB

Default Re: crankwalk in a honda? (speedworks)

most likely the trans input shaft bearing.
Yeah I had one go bad as well at 35k miles...I took it to a Honda dealer and had them fix it, then at pick up they wanted like $450 for parts and labor ...I said "Um, no, its still under warranty"

Somehow I doubt they charged Honda of America the same price they wanted to charge me.
Old 10-30-2002, 07:27 PM
Boostless97Lude

Default Re: crankwalk in a honda? (GB)

it's probably something in the tranny, dont' D16Z6s have a main cap bridge? that should eliminate pretty much any thought of crank walk right there
Old 10-30-2002, 08:55 PM

Default Re: crankwalk in a honda? (Boosted97Lude)

they have a girdle but they all still need thrust washers to keep the crank from walking,

I don't mean to scare you with this story but I saw a car once with a serious *** ACT pressure plate (incredibly stiff clutch pedal) crankwalk. When he pushed the clutch in...the RPM's would drop a little and he would always hear a little tapping noise. Eventually one day the noise got unbearable to where could tell something was Fcked. We pulled the head and oil pan only to find the thrust washers mangled and the #3 rod bearing and crank journal wasted, so the piston was slapping the head due to the spun rod bearings(tapping noise). We theorized that for some unknown reason the thrust washers fell out from between the crank and main bearing cap then the crank walked for a while hence taking out the #3 rod bearing which was the closest to where the washers sat. Still never got to the bottom of that one. this was all on a B18C1/B16 combo with ITR everything, NA.

This could be totally unrelated but check those thrust washers when you take the pan off just 2 b sure. Youv'e pretty much got everything else covered (as far as where else the noise could be coming from). I'm starting to see a lot of this GRRR noise lately in mostly stiff ACT clutch NA Hondas (that shift hard everytime), let me know what you find cuz in all the cases I'm dealing with right now it definately sounds like rod bearings, but non of em are that loud (yet).
Old 11-02-2002, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: crankwalk in a honda? (maddskilzz)

Madskilzz:

My ACT has the xtreme pressure plate...the big one. Im going to pull the pan tomorrow and look inside...so ill let you all know tomorrow!

It needs an oil change anyways might as well its not that much harder to look.

liam
Old 11-03-2002, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

DING DING DING..the results are in!!

Anybody that guessed main bearings and the thrust bearings gets a cookie!!!

The mains are shot to hell...and the one thrust bearing is pretty worn too. Ill take some pictures tomorrow for ya all.

There is lots of metal flake in the oil pan too.

So now i have TWO broke cars in the garage...

mitsubishi eclipse GSX = broke tranny (new tranny in a box...i guess ill have to fix it soon)
honda civic SI = broke motor

Just like a mitsubishi and just like a honda..i need to use the honda tranny with the mitsubishi motor!! aahh ideas ideas ideas

liam
Old 11-03-2002, 04:21 PM

Sorry to hear that...good luck fixing it.