Notices

Cracked one of my Endyn pistons...any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked one of my Endyn pistons...any ideas?

Ok heres the deal...This motor has been in my daily driver for 57kmiles and 3+ years. The setup is stock bore endyn pistons with eagle rods on AEM EMS. Running 14psi low 18psi high. The tune is just about perfect and the air/fuel is monitored full time with a wideband. Knock is also monitored with the stock knock sensor and AEM. I do drive it pretty hard but in the 3 1/2 years ive been driving I've never heard her knock even once. As you can see in the pics there is no sign of detonation or even high cylinder temperatures. The cylinders look fine and the piston skirts that remain are not even worn.

One side of the skirt on the #4 piston has cracked completely off and all of the other pistons have developed hairline cracks in the same area.

It almost seems like there was some kind of mechanical contact as this motor looks very healthy.

Maybe its just a coincidence but another guy posted a similar situation the other day except his motor was obviously detonating. Heres the post:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1839170

His were also Wiseco who makes the Endyn pistons.

Old 12-19-2006, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cracked one of my Endyn pistons...any ideas? (Mr Wonderfull)

ouch...I have been running endyn on all my motors and everything seem to be fine. how was the cylinder wall ?

Old 12-19-2006, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Cracked one of my Endyn pistons...any ideas? (BlueSi2k)

Look at these wiseco, they are out of a sohc vtec all 4 are cracked in the same area.

Old 12-19-2006, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

57k on a built motor cant be too dissappointed... you should try emailing endyn and wiseco the pictures to see what they think.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cracked one of my Endyn pistons...any ideas? (DRAGLS)

After 2 years and 45 thousand miles, my friend had a Wiseco Piston crack on his F22. It was Iron Sleeved by RS Machines. He asked Wiseco at SEMA this year what was up with it and at first they suggested the machine work on the sleeves, but they said they would like to look at it. He sent it in to Wiseco, and they determined that it was not the sleeving, but the piston broke from "normal wear and tear due to the terrible rod stroke ratio of the F22." They are giving him a deep discount on a new set. This could be the same thing with yours.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cracked one of my Endyn pistons...any ideas? (Mr Wonderfull)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr Wonderfull &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">can i ask what prompted you to pull it apart??? but ya 57 k is good **** man!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Having a whole sideskirt come off of a piston kinda makes alot of noise.

Those SOHC pistons have some serious heat marks around the crack.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cracked one of my Endyn pistons...any ideas? (Finest)

Yeah where's the post for the single cam pistons... if i remember there was detonation, and he kept driving or something like that. If they were from normal wear and tear fine, but you shouldn't post up pistons saying look at this, when there was abuse that should have not been there.

To the OP find out what endyn/weisco says about those. You got a lot of boosted miles out of them, but still.

edited: found it https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1839170

Modified by coneheadsracing at 7:11 PM 12/19/2006
Old 12-19-2006, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow i've never seen anything like that.

what does larry at endyn have to say about it?
Old 12-19-2006, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Cracked one of my Endyn pistons...any ideas? (non-VTEC)

I'm going to contact Endyn and see what they say. I mean I'm more than happy with how long the engine lasted but I'm just curious as to what made them go like that. If I was to get a discount on another set I'd definately run them again.

As for why I pulled it apart, It was ticking/knocking pretty loud. It was hard to pinpoint cause I thought it was a rod knock but it sounded higher in the motor. When i pulled the pan I found all of the pieces. I was lucky the oil pickup screen held up.

The cylinder walls look perfect as I said before. I know its hard to see from the pics but the crosshatching is still there. Sleeves look like they have 20k on them.

I'll keep you guys posted on what happens.

Modified by BlueSi2k at 10:52 PM 12/19/2006
Old 12-20-2006, 03:20 AM

I cant tell which side that is on, by the markings on the rods it looks like intake, but this may be obsurd.... but do you still have your oil squirters
Old 12-20-2006, 04:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That is wild! Let us know how it turns out
Old 12-20-2006, 04:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

those were my single cam pistons. i knew there was possible ringland damage, but didnt know they were cracked like that. my guess yours were cracked for along time and then just broke completely.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, Ask Larry about that,mail him some pictures and let us know what he said.
He is a good guy and I´m sure he´ll do everything he can.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cracked one of my Endyn pistons...any ideas? (hondaapi)

When these motors are put together and tuned RIGHT, the results are awsome.

60k on a built motor and only this, im sold

What HP level was it at?
Old 12-20-2006, 05:48 AM

Default Re: Cracked one of my Endyn pistons...any ideas? (93supercoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbodohcsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I cant tell which side that is on, by the markings on the rods it looks like intake, but this may be obsurd.... but do you still have your oil squirters</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes i do have the oil squirters and the damage was on the intake side. It's an idea and I'll look into it but I would imagine the motor would have made alot of noise.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:50 AM

Default Re: Cracked one of my Endyn pistons...any ideas? (93supercoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93supercoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When these motors are put together and tuned RIGHT, the results are awsome.

60k on a built motor and only this, im sold

What HP level was it at?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dyno'd right at 300whp/200tq at 14psi with a log mani and 2.5in dp
Old 12-20-2006, 06:29 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slow poke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That is wild! Let us know how it turns out </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 12-20-2006, 06:32 AM

for the ammount of miles on the motor that is impressive. most people dont put that kinda miles on a built motor..... suck it went down that way
Old 12-20-2006, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i say the ignition timing was at borderline
it took high pressures on the cylinder causing high loads on the pistons against the cylinder centerlines where the major thrust axis exists as the piston goes down
Old 12-20-2006, 08:53 AM

You really cant hear the pistons hitting the squirters because the squirter is semi flexible and pretty quiet. But after 60k miles of tapping the squirter it might start to take affect. Especially with all the cracks being on the intake side (oil squirter side) i would look into it.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:49 PM

Default Re: (turbodohcsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbodohcsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You really cant hear the pistons hitting the squirters because the squirter is semi flexible and pretty quiet. But after 60k miles of tapping the squirter it might start to take affect. Especially with all the cracks being on the intake side (oil squirter side) i would look into it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea I was searching around and it seems wiseco pistons have a longer skirt and they come with a sheet telling you there needs to be a certain clearance between the skirt and the squirter. The endyn pistons didn't come with anything like that. I know for a fact they werent hitting when I built the motor as I spun the motor. But who knows maybe there wasnt enough clearance. I didnt get a chance to look at it today but I'll try throwing a piston back in and see how much clearance there is.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:29 PM

just a quick update...i put one of the pistons back in and there was plenty of clearance with the oil squirters so it definately wasn't that.

I emailed Larry at endyn all of the pictures. He got back to me the same day and wants me to send him the pistons. He said he'll send me a new set if theres the slightest indication the pistons were at fault.

Whether he sends me a new set or not I'm still gonna go with endyns for the next build. He was really helpful on the phone today and they really stand behind their products.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueSi2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just a quick update...i put one of the pistons back in and there was plenty of clearance with the oil squirters so it definately wasn't that.

I emailed Larry at endyn all of the pictures. He got back to me the same day and wants me to send him the pistons. He said he'll send me a new set if theres the slightest indication the pistons were at fault.

Whether he sends me a new set or not I'm still gonna go with endyns for the next build. He was really helpful on the phone today and they really stand behind their products.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's pretty nice right there, seems most other manufacturers try to place the blame on something else.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The problem with aftermarket parts mixed with 2-3x the stock power output is that the motor itself isn't really designed for it. 57k at 300whp (and more at high boost) is pretty damn good. Lots of guys I know rip their blocks apart yearly & rebuild for their street/strip or all-out drag car.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cracked one of my Endyn pistons...any ideas? (HiProfile)

any update on the problem?- subscribed for info

Quick Reply: Cracked one of my Endyn pistons...any ideas?