Notices

could i possibly be fouling my wideband sensors this fast????

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default could i possibly be fouling my wideband sensors this fast????

im using the innovate lm1 with the lsu-4 sensor. 2 weeks ago i put a brand new sensor in there, drove 100 miles to jersey. sensor was working properly and my a/f was ok. (i was in the high 13's on the highway, which isnt very lean, but not bad for my basemap). long story short, 100 miles later im back home and my a/f reads all over the place, without me making any changes to my fuel maps.

i had a similar experience last summer, my boost a/f out of nowhere went into the 9's on the wb, so i leaned out to 11's. turns out my sensor was bad and my a/f was really in the mid 13's. i have the sensor at the front of my downpipe, its about 6-7 inches from the turbine outlet. these are oem vw sensors, they shouldnt foul that fast
Old 12-04-2005, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: could i possibly be fouling my wideband sensors this fast???? (blackeg)

Interested in this subject. I have the Innovative wideband as well and never leave the wideband sensor in after tuning since I also have had a couple of sensors go bad.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:13 PM

Default Re: could i possibly be fouling my wideband sensors this fast???? (DanishR)

Not positive, but my AEM UEGO wideband setup said to mount the sensor something like 20" or so away from the turbo as too much heat would make them go bad fast, as well as having at least a 10 degree angle from horizontal to keep water from blowing them up.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: could i possibly be fouling my wideband sensors this fast???? (livinlow)

here's a pic of where it is. thats just a bad regular 4 wire in the bung, but its where the wb goes.

Old 12-04-2005, 04:58 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: could i possibly be fouling my wideband sensors this fast???? (blackeg)

the heat is killing them... mount them at least 20" away from the turbine outlet
Old 12-04-2005, 05:05 PM

Default Re: could i possibly be fouling my wideband sensors this fast???? (wantboost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wantboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the heat is killing them... mount them at least 20" away from the turbine outlet</TD></TR></TABLE>

+1
Old 12-04-2005, 05:11 PM

i think innovate sells a spacer that threads in between the bung and the sensor to lower the temp the sensor is subjected to. might be a good solution if you don't want to move the bung...
Old 12-04-2005, 05:23 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: could i possibly be fouling my wideband sensors this fast???? (jag_e_fattig)

that wont help... if its 1000 degrees on the outside of the pipe its hotter inside, he needs to move the bung
Old 12-04-2005, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: could i possibly be fouling my wideband sensors this fast???? (wantboost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wantboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that wont help... if its 1000 degrees on the outside of the pipe its hotter inside, he needs to move the bung</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 12-04-2005, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: could i possibly be fouling my wideband sensors this fast???? (SOHCD16y8)

check your ignition timing as well. Your egt's may be hotter than normal which is making your problem worse. But yeah...move your wideband further back.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: could i possibly be fouling my wideband sensors this fast???? (RTErnie)

good advice guys. i remember hearing that they should be like 8+ inches away. i kinda fucked up when the dp got made with the bung placement. im making a new one anyway soon when i weld my ecutout in
Old 12-05-2005, 10:03 AM
Very Emergency!!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wantboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the heat is killing them... mount them at least 20" away from the turbine outlet</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah it is probably right in the flame track. i have mine mounted by the stock o2 where the downpipe meets the exhaust, you should really move that thing.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: could i possibly be fouling my wideband sensors this fast???? (emotionisdead)

anyone run a wideband all the time, or just when tuning.

platinum.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: could i possibly be fouling my wideband sensors this fast???? (platinum00)

I have a LC-1 and it's acting the same way you described. It would jump around hella, and at decelleration it would dip into lean as high as 24+. I may have to get a new sensor too... but my sensor is located after the oilpan, on the DP @ 9 o'clock.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by platinum00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anyone run a wideband all the time, or just when tuning.
platinum.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would like to know this as well.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:53 PM

Default Re: could i possibly be fouling my wideband sensors this fast???? (platinum00)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by platinum00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anyone run a wideband all the time, or just when tuning.

platinum.</TD></TR></TABLE>

All the time here. No reason not to since the sensor is off a stock VW beetle it should last a good hundred thousand miles if you don't foul it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AlphaQup &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a LC-1 and it's acting the same way you described. It would jump around hella, and at decelleration it would dip into lean as high as 24+. I may have to get a new sensor too... but my sensor is located after the oilpan, on the DP @ 9 o'clock.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Deceleration AF's should be high since fuel cut is active......think about it.....
Old 12-05-2005, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: could i possibly be fouling my wideband sensors this fast???? (adseguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adseguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Deceleration AF's should be high since fuel cut is active......think about it..... </TD></TR></TABLE>

alright well, i forgot to mention that even durring accelleration it jumps all over the place ie. 8-20.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: could i possibly be fouling my wideband sensors this fast???? (adseguy)

The wideband unit itself is usually the cause of malfunctions like that. A better quality wideband controller can deal with the heat much better than the innovate, and you'll get alot more life out of your o2.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: could i possibly be fouling my wideband sensors this fast???? (tony1)

I run my wideband in my downpipe fulltime.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:01 PM

Default Re: could i possibly be fouling my wideband sensors this fast???? (~RTErnie~)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ~RTErnie~ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I run my wideband in my downpipe fulltime.</TD></TR></TABLE>

same.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:06 PM
mike93eh

thats way to close to the outlet.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Been runnung the AEM UEGO and mounted about 22 inches away. No problems here.....
Old 12-05-2005, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: could i possibly be fouling my wideband sensors this fast???? (~RTErnie~)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ~RTErnie~ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I run my wideband in my downpipe fulltime.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 12-05-2005, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: could i possibly be fouling my wideband sensors this fast???? (tony1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> A better quality wideband controller can deal with the heat much better than the innovate, and you'll get alot more life out of your o2. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What would be a better quality controller that you would recommend?
Old 12-05-2005, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't had problems with my sensor going bad yet on my lm1 *crosses fingers*, but I only leave it in for tuning. It has been on many cars though and been run for a lot of miles on my own car while fine tuning things.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tony1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The wideband unit itself is usually the cause of malfunctions like that. A better quality wideband controller can deal with the heat much better than the innovate, and you'll get alot more life out of your o2. </TD></TR></TABLE>
What controller do you suggest. It seems that a lot of people keep the plx units in their cars. Of coarse I always thought the lm1 was suppost to be better.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: could i possibly be fouling my wideband sensors this fast???? (SOHC_MShue)

I've had really good luck with both the Motec PLM and the FJO. I know ALOT of people have had problems with the innovate and the aem. If you compare the prices of them, you'll see that the cheaper ones are the problematic ones. Funny how that usually works out. lol

Quick Reply: could i possibly be fouling my wideband sensors this fast????