Notices

Could anyone give me some ONE on ONE help with turbos or something :P

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could anyone give me some ONE on ONE help with turbos or something :P

Im not a super n00b but I really want to make sure I buy the turbo that fits what I want it to do. Ive asked about it before and people have posted some ideas but I want to know why this turbo is the one I want.....If someone has aim, msn, yahoo that could help me out that would be great. People have suggested talking to arturbo about it; but I feel hes too busy . I guess I could start a thread as well but Im really looking for some one on one.

I have a b16 built top to bottom head and all.
(heres the link to the exact details)
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=827719

I want something that will be fast off the line (say around 2.5k) or maybe I dont? I was looking to run about 12-15psi. My goal is 350whp but if I can make 400whp that would good too.

If you can list turbos to buy, could you back them up with why I should get them. I dont understand trims very well. I know the bigger the trim is the longer it takes to spool vs the smaller the quicker; but wheres the inbetween point?

Ive been looking at the sc61 or sc63; but again I only know to get that because people say to get it; I want to know why. I guess I just want the mathematics outta it......Im just rabblin now..... Thanks guys
Old 05-02-2004, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Could anyone give me some ONE on ONE help with turbos or something :P (jdmjerk)

I'd say spooling at 2500 will be kinda tough (maybe ok with a BB SC60-61) setup, but the rest look good to go...just get a big exhaust and make sure your engine can breathe freely.
Old 05-02-2004, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Could anyone give me some ONE on ONE help with turbos or something :P (MiraiZ)

what does BB stand for?
Old 05-02-2004, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Could anyone give me some ONE on ONE help with turbos or something :P (jdmjerk)

ball bearing
Old 05-03-2004, 12:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm still learning about turbos myself, I'd be interested to know what you can find out.
But from asking around for my own purposes, I found out that the Precision SC50 .48 A/R 69 trim might be a good fit. I was looking to make 300ish whp, for a daily driven car (so responsiveness, not top end, was my priority here), while making that power daily at 12psi. And then of course I would have the ability to increase the boost for occasional visits to the track.
HTH
Old 05-03-2004, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Could anyone give me some ONE on ONE help with turbos or something :P (Noob4life)

I wanted something that would have the top end, be able to put out a good amount of boost 12-15psi But I just dont know what trim is good for me. I dont wanna spend 600 bucks or more because it "might" be the one ya know....
Could anyone else give a hand
Old 05-03-2004, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone?
Old 05-03-2004, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good luck on that then Budget turbo will not get your within those parameters, I don't think. afaik the SC50 runs roughly $650-$700. You might be able to land a good deal on one, but its iffy. Then again I know very little heh.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:53 PM

Default Re: Could anyone give me some ONE on ONE help with turbos or something :P (Noob4life)

you want to spool at 2.5K but make 400whp?

not gonna happen, choose between the two
Old 05-03-2004, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Could anyone give me some ONE on ONE help with turbos or something :P (Br1t1shguy)

Yeah, that's about as silly as trying to get 400 whp out of 2.25" exhaust pipe...
Old 05-03-2004, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

2500 rpms is like a 14B would spool at...but ya aint going to hit 350-400
Old 05-04-2004, 12:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (quik sol)

Well you didnt need to clown on me; thats why Im asking. I didnt know; so I asked! Im not on a budget; as you can see I built my motor very well, the only thing I could have done better was sleeve the block. So whats the ideal turbo size for something that will make psi all the way up to redline (b16) but still kick in, in the low end. Thanks for you input!
Old 05-04-2004, 01:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If ya want power go with an SC61 the spool times arnt that bad at all on them. then grab either a LoveFab, Full-Race, or Inline Pro manifold.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:14 AM

Default Re: (jdmjerk)

sc63 is definately too big. i wouldn't go larger than the sc61. if you peak goal is only 400 and you KNOW that you won't want more than that in a few months... then get something smaller and run more boost on it. that will give you quicker spool. it doesn't really matter what psi you are pushing to get to 400 hp, 400 is 400 who cares? if you get the sc61, you won't see full boost till upper 4k's. maybee get a smaller presicion but stick with the .63 AR exhaust, just get something with a stage 3 wheel instead of the stage 5 that comes on the sc61. now i'm rambling and probably confusing you more... check PMs.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ndogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ndogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sc63 is definately too big. i wouldn't go larger than the sc61. if you peak goal is only 400 and you KNOW that you won't want more than that in a few months... then get something smaller and run more boost on it. that will give you quicker spool. it doesn't really matter what psi you are pushing to get to 400 hp, 400 is 400 who cares? if you get the sc61, you won't see full boost till upper 4k's. maybee get a smaller presicion but stick with the .63 AR exhaust, just get something with a stage 3 wheel instead of the stage 5 that comes on the sc61. now i'm rambling and probably confusing you more... check PMs.</TD></TR></TABLE>
your not though (rambling); thats what i wanted to hear; I just need to learn what the numbers mean....Ill call you tomorrow nate; just prepared to call me back on a lan line phone; ill run your minutes through the roof

Ive already decided on a inlinepro manifold; i just need to learn the more advanced part of the turbo; I dont just want to slap something on there and not know how it works and not understand the stage of the wheels, the a/r and trim levels...I like to why i have what have and the logic behind it. Not because its been proven to make good numbers.
Old 05-04-2004, 04:27 AM

you should buy this turbo called "maximum boost" they have it at amazon.com it'll be the best thing you've ever bought for your car!
Old 05-04-2004, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SleepyEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SleepyEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you should buy this turbo called "maximum boost" they have it at amazon.com it'll be the best thing you've ever bought for your car!</TD></TR></TABLE>
Does anyone have a link to some imformative information that might be found in that book...

Could some of you guys post what turbo your running and what it starts to spool, if it spools to redline, ect.....does spool times change depening on the motor?
Old 05-04-2004, 02:40 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Check out a compressor map for the Holset HX35. J.Davis has a thread somewhere about it...it's very nice.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I went back through and read the g2ic.com guide found some interesting statements.....
http://www.beesandgoats.com/bo....html

from what I got outta it is that the higher the trim the more lag but higher top end and same with the a/r

So what is a good inbetween point? I feel like 4k-4.5k for a turbo to be at full boost is really late? But then again if your drag racing you would be shifting and be at full boost after 1st gear and still be in vtec which is the main goal here right? Im on the right page? Another words....4k-4.5k is just right for a honda (as long as it is a drag car?)
Old 05-04-2004, 02:56 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmjerk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I went back through and read the g2ic.com guide found some interesting statements.....
http://www.beesandgoats.com/bo....html

from what I got outta it is that the higher the trim the more lag but higher top end and same with the a/r

So what is a good inbetween point? I feel like 4k-4.5k for a turbo to be at full boost is really late? But then again if your drag racing you would be shifting and be at full boost after 1st gear and still be in vtec which is the main goal here right? Im on the right page? Another words....4k-4.5k is just right for a honda (as long as it is a drag car?)</TD></TR></TABLE>

You're going to need at least a t3/t4 to make that kind of power, and that wont make full boost until around 4k.

For a chunk of skrill you can get a GT30r with the smaller turbine housing (.63 A/R i think it is), spool quicker than the hybrid, and make more boost... because next generation turbos rock you're nuts.

If you really want to be able to make an educated decision, you learn how to read compressor maps and start comparing them between turbos. Thats the way the big dogs do it and thats the only way to go if you want better than best guess.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Br1t1shguy)

GT30r = one of garrett's bb series of turbos, right? Is it also internally gated like the GT25r?
Old 05-04-2004, 03:46 PM

Default Re: (Br1t1shguy)

yes... but reading compressor maps doesn't tell you **** about when the boost will be reached... or when the turbo will fall on its face. i'm not sure if there are turbine maps or something like that, you kinda have to go by experience.

nick, do you want a street car or a drag car or both? and if you want a "street" car... if you are looking to smoke c5's on the freeway, you don't need bottom end anyway. low end is overrated, just downshift.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ndogg)

up for you cause i'm still learning the in's and out's...anyone know of any good write-ups to look for???
Old 05-04-2004, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for a nice g2.

im runnin a 60 trim 48 ar t3 turbo...spools pretty fast, but when you ask when something fully spools it depends on a lot of things...fully spooled at 4psi is a lot different than fully spooled at 20psi, especially taking into headwork, downpipe / exhaust / IC piping size, among tb and manifold size and all that good stuff...

my t3 doesnt exactly fall on its face up and beyond 8000-8500 but its not exactly putting you in your seat as much as it was from 4000-6000...so maybe a 60/63 or even a 50 trim t3t4 w/ 63 ar would better suit your needs.

i dont pay attention to it 100% bc im enjoying getting pushed back in my seat and passin people while they spool up, but I know im DEFINATELY fully spooled by 4500. in 5th gear i start to spool at 2600rpms w/ a 2.5" downpipe and 3" exhaust (on a 1.7l) so if that helps you out any, its hitting 7psi around 3200 or so, but thats in 5th gear...the lower you go with gear it takes a little longer to spool because of less load..

GREAT NOW IM RAMBLING..feel free to email me or hit me up on aim or pm if you want to talk details, i can phsycailly take a video or go out there with a friend and a pen / pad of paper and get it to the exact science if you want. just lemme know.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: nate

I would like to be able to take it to the track and at least beat you nate your the only quick street car around right now lol. jp! This is going in a street car...and believe it or not nate you hit it right on the dot; I want to be able to smoke c5's (corvettes not type Rs) I wish i could beat turbotechs twin turboed vette...any how getting off subject here.

Sounds like I need a bigger turbo so Ill just have to deal with it spooling around 4k...if that is the case. For a turbo setup I was looking at something like this....

-3'downpipe to an ecut
-3' piping
-inline pro mani
-880s seem to be able to put down what I want
-uberdata

I was talking to turbotech briefly and they were telling me its not about what psi your running its about how fast you get the boost in and get boost out (air flow) with a revhard intake manifold and port and polish head and 3' pipes i feel it would flow very well. So what exactly are they talking about psi being different in other turbos? the trim? redstar seems to have a nice turbo but you seem to be disapointed with how it preforms in the high end. I think what i want is something spooling 15psi around 4k-5k and pull all to way to redline

Nate Id take your advice with turbo you choose; I just want to make sure I dont waste 700-800 bucks on something that isnt going to suit my needs. Im getting closer to a decision; and when i figure it out im going to run the idea by turbotech for the final decision....

Thanks everyone and i apprecaite your help!

Quick Reply: Could anyone give me some ONE on ONE help with turbos or something :P