Notices

Cooling a GT series turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2004, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling a GT series turbo

I recently bought a Full Race Kit with a GT3040 turbo.. there are four ports between the hot and cold side.. one for oil feed, one for return, are the other two for coolant? If so, any pics of others with similar set ups.. BTW this is going into an Integra GSR

Thanks
Dan
Old 07-24-2004, 01:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Cooling a GT series turbo (IntegracinGSR)

The other two are for coolant. Simply rerouting the coolant lines that go to your throttle body is the best idea.
Old 07-24-2004, 01:38 PM

Thank you.. and pics or other ideas?
Old 07-24-2004, 05:03 PM

Re-routing the cooling lines from the throttle body seems like thats a long distance for the lines to run.. anything simpler or closer guys?
Old 07-24-2004, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IntegracinGSR)

why even run them? It just more ugly hoses and fittings to leak. I have never used a GT series turbo but i never put the coolant lines on other turbos and never have any problems. A turbo timer will prevent coking after shutting it down and while it's running you will have no problems with just oil running through it unless the GTs are different.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:12 PM

Default Re: (Bailhatch)

Actually, the coolant in the GT series turbos supposedly prolong the life of the turbo quite a bit.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:14 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A turbo timer will prevent coking after shutting it down and while it's running you will have no problems with just oil running through it unless the GTs are different</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sure, but what would you rather do, worry about how to properly shut down the car, install a turbo timer and waste fuel cooling down, or just utilize what you already have?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Re-routing the cooling lines from the throttle body seems like thats a long distance for the lines to run.. anything simpler or closer guys?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Uh.... Go to the auto parts store and buy some hose. Then reroute the lines. It really doesn't get much simpler, and you are not adding anything to the engine, just taking one useless coolant line off and reusing it in something useful. It'll cost you $5. A turbo timer will cost $100 used.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (beepy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beepy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sure, but what would you rather do, worry about how to properly shut down the car, install a turbo timer and waste fuel cooling down, or just utilize what you already have?

... It'll cost you $5. A turbo timer will cost $100 used.</TD></TR></TABLE>

please! a properly tuned honda will use like 1 teaspoon idling for a few minutes. creative, but hardly an excuse even with gas prices hovering around 2 bills a gallon.

When I build a car I always go for the most simple and effective route. Unless I can hear a real argument (its been discussed countless times on here BTW) that you must use the water cooling on any turbo I will never install it that way because of the unnesscary hardware needed. If it's not there it's not going to leak/break/get in the way/look like **** etc...

This dude just bought a fullrace turbo kit. I hardly think hes on a small budget. do you really think $100 is going to kill him (which happens to be the price I do NEW Greddy full auto timers for INSTALLED)? If he has an alarm many of those can act as a timer as too.

less is more when it comes to bullshit hanging off your motor.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pkoury)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pkoury &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Actually, the coolant in the GT series turbos supposedly prolong the life of the turbo quite a bit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

why and how is it different than other turbos? tech me.

Modified by Bailhatch at 2:57 AM 7/25/2004
Old 07-24-2004, 10:56 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When I build a car I always go for the most simple and effective route.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I still fail to see how wiring in a turbo timer, finding a place to mount the turbo timer, routing wires, blocking off the coolant lines, then needing to tune the turbo timer, worry about whether it is working properly, and then having your engine idle with the key off for a couple minutes is simpler than a couple feet of coolant line and a couple hose clamps. What if you park your car in a garage? Do you really want the car idling for a couple minutes filling the garage with monoxide? Besides that, in normal operation, would you rather have your cartridge at a constant 190° or let oil, which is not intended for cooling, cool the cartridge?

Granted, the turbo timer is the best idea if the turbo doesn't have coolant lines. But if it does, why wouldn't you use it? It is much, much simpler. Plus it is "2 birds with one stone" because the coolant lines in the throttle body are pointless with the increased intake temperatures associated with a turbo.

I'm not trying to start an argument or anything. I just really don't understand why anyone would refuse to use the coolant if they had that option.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beepy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I still fail to see how wiring in a turbo timer, finding a place to mount the turbo timer, routing wires, blocking off the coolant lines, then needing to tune the turbo timer, worry about whether it is working properly, and then having your engine idle with the key off for a couple minutes is simpler than a couple feet of coolant line and a couple hose clamps. What if you park your car in a garage? Do you really want the car idling for a couple minutes filling the garage with monoxide? Besides that, in normal operation, would you rather have your cartridge at a constant 190° or let oil, which is not intended for cooling, cool the cartridge?

Granted, the turbo timer is the best idea if the turbo doesn't have coolant lines. But if it does, why wouldn't you use it? It is much, much simpler. Plus it is "2 birds with one stone" because the coolant lines in the throttle body are pointless with the increased intake temperatures associated with a turbo.

I'm not trying to start an argument or anything. I just really don't understand why anyone would refuse to use the coolant if they had that option.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok, well a timer takes all of 20min to install (3 wires) and set it up. that's about a draw as far as labor is concerned. install aside function is all i care about in this case.

the garage thing...um, it kills termites so you don't have rebuild as often

If a turbo timer breaks your car doesn't idle when you shut it down. if coolant lines close to you 1000 degree turbo break you puke coolant and risk your motor.

Oil if a fine coolant. especially on a honda where the whole motor has tons of cooling reserve (hence half radiators on turbo B swaps that stay cool) and many have integrated oil coolers to boot. I just woulden't feel right hammering on my car and just shutting it off even if i did have a water cooled turbo.

your right about the TB heating

I would love for someone to come on here and tell me that the bearings are made laminated rose petals or some **** on GT turbos and prove me wrong. On regualar turbos i will always do it this way, sorry, i just don't like rubber hoses everywhere that don't have to be.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:52 PM

Okay, I understand we we are disagreeing. I prefer to do things mechanically whereas you prefer to do them electronically.

Makes sense since 5 out of the 6 cars I have owned were equipped with carburators.
Old 07-25-2004, 12:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ya, i was making a sandwich and thinking about it. We most defiantly have different views. I searched on here and after reading about 5 threads on this issue I would say about %65 agree with you, for whatever thats worth. I also thought, i'm hungry. then i wondered if, besides the water jacket, are the bearings, seals, heatshields, etc. identical between water and non-water cooled? If so I have no qualms recommending this to anyone since tons of factory cars (read - built for the lowest common denominator) came with just oil. either way, i hope no one actually reads this....
Old 07-25-2004, 10:50 AM

Plus it is "2 birds with one stone" because the coolant lines in the throttle body are pointless with the increased intake temperatures associated with a turbo.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So, are you saying that i should simply just take the coolant line from the throttle body and not have a line return the coolant to that place since the turbo is heating up the IAT's anyways?
Old 07-25-2004, 11:05 AM

That is what most people who use the water-cooling do.

The coolant lines to the throttle body are there for a warm-up aid. The IATs are already elevated by the turbo anyway (even when just idling and warming up), so the coolant lines in the throttle body end up being a detriment.
Old 07-25-2004, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The GT Turbo is an expensive piece and you pay for that Wet Center...I will take all precautions to extend the life of my new GT turbo or any turbo that I install in my car...Why pay for an option, even if you didn't have much choice, and not use it...If it isn't an option and all GT turbos come with Wet centers then the manufacturer is telling you that you need to run the coolant lines to the turbo...If you don't run it, then you can possibly void its warranty for incorrect installation...
Old 07-25-2004, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sunrise City Rider)

IMO Garrett didn't build the coolant ports into the design for nothing. Although I admit people have had success running without them.

I like to think of the coolant lines as insurance, and I'll always use them even on cheap junkyard turbos, but most especially on a nice ball bearing GT turbo.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cooling a GT series turbo (IntegracinGSR)

both sides of the argument duly noted. IMO, if there is a clean way to do things, that does not affect functionality, do them. On a honda
"a clean way" is debatable, and could go either way. We recently did a turbo kit where there was no ideal way to route coolant lines, and when we asked, a garrett engineer stated quite simply:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by garrett engineer guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Turbo time the car down until its cool every time the car is run, and you'll never have a problem.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 07-25-2004, 09:34 PM

Thanks a lot guys.. im probably going to try and find a way to cleanly route the lines if at all possible.. i'll take pics when im done..

If im not able to do it cleanly, should i just leave the two ports for the coolant open on the turbo or plug them?
Old 07-25-2004, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice setup and turbo choice Who's doing the tuning?

I would do both, coolant lines and use a turbo timer as well. Can't hurt anything.

-Imran
Old 07-26-2004, 12:39 AM

Default Re: (LeGeND4LiFe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LeGeND4LiFe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nice setup and turbo choice Who's doing the tuning?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Jeff Evans aka Boosted Hybrid will be doing the tuning

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LeGeND4LiFe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would do both, coolant lines and use a turbo timer as well. Can't hurt anything.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats what i was thinking..

Dan
Old 07-26-2004, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cooling a GT series turbo (beepy)

I think those extra holes for coolant are only there for those cars doing a turbo upgrade, i.e. a factory turbo car getting a larger turbo... Factory turbo cars have those there so there is no need to turbo time, the coolant cools the turbo after the car is shut off... I wouldn't recommend running extra lines for coolant to your turbo... Just let it sit for a couple of minutes after you drive...
Old 07-26-2004, 08:32 AM

Default Re: Cooling a GT series turbo (4U2NV)

I ran the coolant lines for my GT Turbo and it wasn't as hard as it seems.
I tapped into the throttle body coolant lines like everybody has mentioned.
I tapped the line on the back of the throttle body as a supply the one on
the front side as a return. I used a flexable radiator type hose up to a certain
point the used hard line (I bought aluminum hard brake line and used a mini
pipe bender) to the turbo for a almost stock looking installation. I'll try and
get some pics.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:14 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Cooling a GT series turbo (Mikes01GSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mikes01GSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I ran the coolant lines for my GT Turbo and it wasn't as hard as it seems.
I tapped into the throttle body coolant lines like everybody has mentioned.
I tapped the line on the back of the throttle body as a supply the one on
the front side as a return. I used a flexable radiator type hose up to a certain
point the used hard line (I bought aluminum hard brake line and used a mini
pipe bender) to the turbo for a almost stock looking installation. I'll try and
get some pics. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly. It's more than just about extra cooling as the reasons the lines need to be used, it is also because of the steel ball-bearing CHRA itself needs to have extra lubrication which the increased efficiency. Also make sure that you have a restrictor going into the oil feed line leading into your turbo, because of the balance of the ball-bearings, they cannot withstand over 23psi of oil pressure at ANY TIME during the spool of the turbo. Any more than that and you'll easily destroy the seals of the turbo and the bearings. Ball-bearing CHRAs have become UNGODLY expensive as of late, and by the time you've repaired it, you might as well have bought a new turbocharger
Old 07-26-2004, 08:14 PM

Default Re: Cooling a GT series turbo (TheShodan)

Do you, or anyone else, have a part number for the oil restrictor?

Quick Reply: Cooling a GT series turbo