Notices

Cool Can - fuel cooler

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cool Can - fuel cooler

Anyone have experience with this? Thinking of getting one for track days/late night outings. Fill 'er up with ice, would definitely cool the fuel down nice.

Opinions/experiences?
Old 06-02-2004, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cool Can - fuel cooler (Turboteggy)

Odd. I've never seen this before.

Makes sense though, but I've never really heard too many complaints about superheated fuel or anything crazy like that. I guess it never hurts to be safe though.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Cool Can - fuel cooler (Turboteggy)

What kind of Hp claims does it make?
Old 06-02-2004, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Cool Can - fuel cooler (EE_Chris)

i bet if u used that for oil it would keep the oil nice an cold
Old 06-02-2004, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cool Can - fuel cooler (J337_UNIT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J337_UNIT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i bet if u used that for oil it would keep the oil nice an cold</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeh maybe a little too cold

i saw this a while ago, made me really curious as to know the fuel temp as it is right now... i wonder if it has much time to heat up anyways?
Old 06-02-2004, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cool Can - fuel cooler (B18EG6)

that's trippy . . . is there a point to cooling down your fuel :-p
Old 06-02-2004, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah summit selld them for like a 100 bux, they also have a very nice abs style plastic one as well in other colors. i wouls imagine if you put it relatively close to the rail, or by where the filter is(was) it would work really well
Old 06-02-2004, 03:11 PM

Default Re: (mrbsponge)

you mean like this

we had a discussion bout this a few days ago

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=847337
Old 06-02-2004, 03:58 PM

Default Re: (drumking15)

As your fuel pump (pause) pumps fuel to the engine it goes into the fuel rail with thew fuel regulator. And what fuel isn't needed is returned to your tank. The problem is that when the fuel ebters your fuel rail, it is usually hot from the engine (try touching it after the car had been driven a while). The hot fuel is pumped back into the fuel tank warming up the other fuel. Then it is repumped as hot fuel back into the rail. The cooler is used to cool the fuel as it is returned to the tank so as to keep from heating the whole fuel tank up. I have seen these setups on race cars, not so much drag cars since they don't run for very long. The cooler tank needs ice or water, but i have seen fuel coolers that are a simple oil cooler type setup with a small fan near the back of the car. It might not serve as a super horse power increasement; but when you tune an engine precisely, hot fuel could cause detonation. Most of us choose a more laxed fuel/timing curve to avoid the problems and have a safety buffer for our street rides. I don't know how hot the fuel gets, but if someone has money to burn...try it out.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bontke)

Makes sense for cars that would run under a high load for a long period of time.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (94si94cx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94si94cx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Makes sense for cars that would run under a high load for a long period of time.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Like a daily driver...
Old 06-02-2004, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bontke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As your fuel pump (pause) pumps fuel to the engine it goes into the fuel rail with thew fuel regulator. And what fuel isn't needed is returned to your tank. The problem is that when the fuel ebters your fuel rail, it is usually hot from the engine (try touching it after the car had been driven a while). The hot fuel is pumped back into the fuel tank warming up the other fuel. Then it is repumped as hot fuel back into the rail. The cooler is used to cool the fuel as it is returned to the tank so as to keep from heating the whole fuel tank up. I have seen these setups on race cars, not so much drag cars since they don't run for very long. The cooler tank needs ice or water, but i have seen fuel coolers that are a simple oil cooler type setup with a small fan near the back of the car. It might not serve as a super horse power increasement; but when you tune an engine precisely, hot fuel could cause detonation. Most of us choose a more laxed fuel/timing curve to avoid the problems and have a safety buffer for our street rides. I don't know how hot the fuel gets, but if someone has money to burn...try it out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What the hell are you smoking? By your train of thought, we may as well put all our intercoolers BEFORE the turbo. The point is to cool the fuel before the motor, making it more dense, and making a bigger explsion in the combustion chamber.

I'm just wondering if it would work on our cars. Since we have such high PSI, the fuel doesn't stay in the lines long, so the cooler may not be that great.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:48 PM

Default Re: (Turboteggy)

ive heard a lot of older hot rod type guys use it. but they all use carbs so mayby on a carb it makes a diff. but i wonder if it would on our cars. i would have to agree with the above statement though. it would only work well if it was placed between the filter and the fuel rail. the fuel would just warm up on the way back to the tank anyways why cool it.
just my .02
Old 06-02-2004, 07:45 PM

Default Re: (slammed00si)

Would you rather try to cool 12 hot gallons of gas or a fuel line? Think about it. The fuel pump picks up cool fuel and sends it to the engine. The fuel returns hotter due to its time in the fuel rail and is cooled before it reaches the tank. I have to find the magazine article that I saw this in. I smoke the same crack as the race team who uses it.

So do you plumb your exhaust back into the turbo inlet?

As for the carb guys, they don't have a return line. The carb uses bowls of fuel to supply ther fuel. Some carb systems do have a return line but you won't find them on a race car with a carb.

My complaint with the water/ice coolers is that you would have to keep adding ice or get an air to water cooler for the water. With a small fuel cooler it only needs air ducted to it or a small fan to prevent heat soak. The idea is so keep the fuel cool not icy cold like a beer. And like i mentioned previously, I have seen this only on race cars. The ice/water fuel coolers are probably best for the drag track and short runs.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:04 PM

well maybe your right...but i have seen one of these used...inline to the motor...w/ dry ice in the box...thing looked like a ice box on a drag car...and was using it to cool his fuel charge to run more timing on a domestic
Old 06-02-2004, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey bontke, your thought pattern is good and right..however they cool it before the fuel rail most often. that way the hot fuel is cooled before entering the engine thereby it being cooler..

its had time to warm back down when it has been put back in the tank.
Old 06-03-2004, 04:35 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bontke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Would you rather try to cool 12 hot gallons of gas or a fuel line? Think about it. The fuel pump picks up cool fuel and sends it to the engine. The fuel returns hotter due to its time in the fuel rail and is cooled before it reaches the tank. I have to find the magazine article that I saw this in. I smoke the same crack as the race team who uses it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is it more efficient and easy to cool 12 gallons? or a -4an line? Why do you need to cool 12 gallons when it'll take you hundreds of miles to use it?

When you look at a water dispencer with the huge jugs on top, do the coolers inside cool the whole big bottle? or just a small amount in the lines?

COHFOOSHAA SAYYYYyyyyyyy...Issa eez too koor smow stleem, not whow ohshaaan
Old 06-03-2004, 05:28 AM

Default Re: (Teh_Oven)

No one hasnt mentioned WHY you use a fuel cooler...and no it doesnt make the fuel more dense for "a bigger explosion" as someone put it. Cooler fuel means cooler cylinder temperatures, means less chance for detonation. Which means you can make the ignition timing a little more aggressive or run a little more boost and still be safe.

I dont think anything that requires you to add ice water would ever be used on the street...only at the track and any margin of added safety at the track gets a in my book.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:17 PM

Default Re: (xenocron)

The whole idea is the the fuel tank has cool fuel at all times. The fuel cooler will be by the tank, not by the engine. That way as the fuel leaves the engine, travels down the fuel return line, then enters the fuel cooler and is put straight into the tank. the fuel pump picks up cool fuel and sends it to the engine cool. Plus it might even lengthen the life of the fuel pump.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:02 AM

Default Re: (xenocron)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xenocron &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No one hasnt mentioned WHY you use a fuel cooler...and no it doesnt make the fuel more dense for "a bigger explosion" as someone put it. Cooler fuel means cooler cylinder temperatures, means less chance for detonation. Which means you can make the ignition timing a little more aggressive or run a little more boost and still be safe.

I dont think anything that requires you to add ice water would ever be used on the street...only at the track and any margin of added safety at the track gets a in my book.</TD></TR></TABLE>

actaully if you read the other thread i linked it to....i did make that explanation

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drumking15 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive seen on of these on a domestic....looked pretty intruguing....he had dry ice in it...thing looked like an ice box after the night at the track under a hot warm engine bay

his reasoning behind it was...colder fuel = safer to adavance the timing a lil bit more</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 06-07-2004, 12:28 PM

Default Re: (drumking15)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drumking15 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

actaully if you read the other thread i linked it to....i did make that explanation

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good stuff

It always helps when people agree