Notices

Controlling and minimizing under hood temps/heat soak and a ? on CryO2 products

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 01:21 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Controlling and minimizing under hood temps/heat soak and a ? on CryO2 products

So as well all know, elevated under hood temps and heatsoak are power robbers. I'm trying to make sure I eliminate, within reason, a good amount of under hood temps and heatsoaked components

Since my car will see hard use on the road course, close to almost 5-6 hours with 20-30 minute cooldowns between sessions, I've devised this plan

Ceramic coating turbo manifold and turbine housing.
Downpipe and dumptube will be heat wrapped their entire length (they will exit out of the passengers side of the front bumper)

The compressor housing of the turbo will also get some form of coating, as will the intake off of the turbo.. Since I have a 96-00 civic, I can use the front upper bumper grill and turn it into a cold air intake box, effectively sealing the area behind the grill from any hot air from the engine bay or heat that is radiated off of the radiator and intercooler (I'll wrap the box with the reflective gold foil) this will allow me to place the air filter for the turbo inlet behind the grill inside the box and ensure that the motor gets the coldest air possible. also at high speeds there would be a very slight pressurization of the box behind the grill and would then result in a slightly higher than atmospheric pressure at the compressor inlet... not a lot but still positive pressure.

Now the dilemma, preventing the intercooler piping inside the engine compartment from being exposed to radiant heat sources, leading to heatsoak which will raise IATs.

I had thought about powder coating, ceramic coating, and even wrapping it in the gold heat deflecting foil, or one of those reflective silver tube covers that laces up.

Any opinions on that?

Also the intake manifold is a huge part of the components that get heatsoaked and again, raise IATs.

I will be using phenolic gaskets where appropriate, namely between the head and intake manifold. Again I am also considering some form of heat protection, similar to the intercooler piping. Either powder or ceramic coat, or wrapping it in the reflective gold foil.

The hood will also be spaced at the hinges to increase airflow through the intercooler, radiator, and most importantly, the engine compartment. it has been proven (with physical data) that spacing the hood has a dramatic effect on evacuating hot air from the engine compartment, which will not only help with elevated under hood temps but reduce the likelihood and severity of any heatsoak.

Now being that this build will not only be daily driven but also see a lot of road course use it's a given that while at the track, things will get hot. I know most of you are familiar with CryO2 and the products they offer and what their purpose is.

I thought about this a lot last night and thought that during a hard hot lapping session on track that I could use some of the CryO2 products to help control and lower IATs that become elevated as a result on long periods of hard driving.

I was mainly looking at their cooling bulb that goes inside the piping... their test data shows a consistent minimum drop of 50 degrees in IATs. I thought that if IATs reach a set level, a high point/maximum if you will, at which point my AEM EMS would trigger the CryO2 solenoid, cooling the intake air. I could basically use the nitrous activation feature to control it and also have a manual override switch to engage it whenever I like.

Also, since the CO2 has to keep moving through the bulb, you can't run a line to it and cap the other side as it wouldn't cool anything, I could run the vent lines in such a matter that they would be sprayed over the front of the intercooler, which means I wouldn't have to have a spray bar and I could extract ever last bit of the CO2s cooling abilities. I feel that this is the only useful product I could use offered by CryO2, as an intercooler spray bar really isn't need here and I kind of think their fuel cooling block is a little hokey

This of course is all being planned and laid out in my head but I think my ideas are sound but I would like to hear from everyone about my ideas to coat/wrap the intercooler piping and the intake manifold, as well as my potential use of the CryO2 system

So any opinions/advice/examples are all greatly appreciated

TIA
Old 09-28-2013, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Controlling and minimizing under hood temps/heat soak and a ? on CryO2 products

I wrapped all my cold side piping in the heat resistant tape, which is actually a thin layer of fiberglass on the inner adhesive side, and silver IR reflective silver foily stuff on the outside. I logged temps right before and right after wrapping the pipes in the stuff, and I saw ~15 degree drop in iat's from that alone.

for the intake manifold, just eliminate any coolant lines that feed anything in/on/near the intake manifold, as coolant running to any of those components will obviously raise temps pretty high.

also, a vent in the front of the hood inline with the IM will also have a nice effect on reducing iat's. I cut a hole in my hood (after wrapping pipes) and saw an ADDITIONAL 20 degree drop in temps at all times, as long as I was moving more than 20mph. the faster the speed, the lower the iat.
I still get pretty bad heatsoak in the IM though, so I'll be looking into a thermal gasket, as well as wrapping/coating the intake manifold as well. or I may just fab up a custom manifold (or at least the upper half of mine) made out of a material that does not absorb heat the way aluminum does. carbonfiber would be ideal, but I have no experience with that.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:47 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Default Re: Controlling and minimizing under hood temps/heat soak and a ? on CryO2 products

Yea I thought about that tape, we used some on the z06 and after a number of hard track sessions the fiberglass separated from it's adhesive backing. It simply couldn't stand the heat. Granted we had it in a much higher temp area than intercooler piping
Old 09-29-2013, 11:14 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

no one?