Notices

Clutches....yes again

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2002, 12:00 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutches....yes again

Alright, there's been a lot of sales pitching and opinionated reviews of clutches lately. The last time I considered a clutch, I went with Clutchnet because thats the bandwagon everyone was on at the time. Well I have since sold the disc and now everyone is not on the clutchnet bandwagon anymore, first it was clutchmasters, now it's Action. (this post is sounding very newbie ish, sorry). Well I do not want a bandwagon clutch that is going to suck, for lack of a better term.

I want a streetable clutch that will handle 400-450whp. Because my car is street based, I want a sprung disc, for ease of drivability. I can handle everything else, but a decent pedal pressure would be nice as well. I want something to handle constant abuse, not one that's going to get hot and not work well. And a clutch that doesn't fall apart (of course).

I would really like educated responses from people that aren't selling the product, and have tried several. Thanks
Old 07-21-2002, 12:04 PM
New User

Default Re: Clutches....yes again (VaporTrail)

I would like to know this as well
P.S. motor will be on it's way to you on Monday John
Old 07-21-2002, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ACT is very stiff pedeal pressure.. Works well under most loads. It cant take abuse at massive amounts of torque though it will explode

ClutchNet works well simple design ease of pedal pressure holds pwr fairly decent shitty engagment on there high end models it sticks some times and doesnt want to disengage fully

RPS simple as well same problems as above.

Tilton Carbon or metal metal

Metal on/off engagements works well to hold all the torque rated for 800 ft lbs of torque
Carbon-Carbob drives like stock ease of engagement never heats up. Easy to slip

Clutchmasters Works well holds the pwr slips slightly. There twin discs are aweseom works really well. increase of pedal pressure is noticable

Os geiken Works as designed stiff pedal pressure

ACTION is the new bandwagon since the prices are good and it holds the pwr very well. very strong pressure plate and design.
Old 07-21-2002, 12:09 PM
New User

Default Re: Clutches....yes again (b18bturbo)

Thanks for that Viren.

I just wanted to clarify, I am by no means slamming Action. I just want a variety of educated responses. Thanks.
Old 07-21-2002, 01:30 PM

I've used a Clutchmasters stage 2 (was supposed to be a stage 3 but came mispacked) and it would heat up and become mushy after 1 or more hard runs and would start slipping bad. I then switched to an ACT extreme PP/organic street disk and it's held up everything i've thrown at it so far, drag strip every weekend and daily beaten. This was on a turbo B16A2. Took it out when i swapped to a GSR and the disk still had plenty of meat on it and only a few hotspots on the pressure plate. I've now switched to a 6 puck unsprung disk with the same pressure plate. It's a little rough from a stop but easy to get used to. I'm biased to a stiff clutch as well, maybe it's me but i just like good feedback in a clutch, not a soft stock feeling one.
Old 07-21-2002, 02:39 PM
New User

Default Re: Clutches....yes again (boostaholic)

I dont mind a slightly higher pedal pressure, in fact I like it. Too light of a clutch is not a good thing for me. I've always had good luck with ACT, I just don't want a solid hub disc.
Old 07-21-2002, 04:13 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i mismatched mine a little. act extreme pp with clutchnet 4puck sprung hub disc (not sure what stage disc that is.) i chose this setup with 350whp in mind.
Old 07-21-2002, 04:33 PM
New User

John, I would recommend an Action 6 puck sprung hub disc with the Miba friction pads.
Old 07-21-2002, 05:06 PM

Default Re: Clutches....yes again (TurboSedan)

I have a brand new clutch masters twin disc if your interested vapor... I will give you a great price... Let me know..
Old 07-21-2002, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutches....yes again (TurboSedan)

John, I would recommend an Action 6 puck sprung hub disc with the Miba friction pads.

I second that. . . .

Jeramy
Old 07-21-2002, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I personally like Clutchmasters. I have a Stage5 but in the future plan on a Stage4 because of the non sprung hub. with stock axles stock diff and 205x50/15 G-Force drag radials I broke an axle at Battle of the Imports in VA.

Inline Pro then told me that if I would have had either an upgraded diff (like an LSD system by Quaife) to even the load on the axles or a Stage4 disc that I would not have broke the stock Si axle.

So I vote on a Stage4 clutchmasters

Or

Stage5 Cluthcmasters and a LSD

Other than that breaking of the axle I love the clutch.
Old 07-21-2002, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Clutches....yes again (PWRVTEC)

yeah im also using the ACT extreme PP with a 6 puck sprung by clutch specialties
Old 07-21-2002, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutches....yes again (BoostinDC2)

John... I've been through alot of clutches... and although I've never made a ton of horsepower, I do know by experience that ACT always holds up the longest, with the best grab and pedal feel.

I'm sure you remember how I drove the "KOOP" at the track... 100's of passes with 6500-7000 RPM launches on the Extreme pressure plate and organic Street disc... and NEVER slipped on me.

I will be using a ACT clutch setup in my ITR that I plan to be making about 350hp with.
Old 07-21-2002, 07:04 PM
New User

Default Re: Clutches....yes again (HybridKOOP)

Louis, holy crap where you been?!?!? I too have used my fair share of clutches, ACT has always treated me well. However, what scares me is that other people haven't been so lucky, in my area. Not sure if it's due to driver or what, but seeing a lot of "defects" and what not. I absolutely hate doing things twice, so I need to make sure that I get this done right the first time. Thanks for your input...still deciding