Clutch/LSD help please (Art, Tony, Jason, Stan, Brain, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 04:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch/LSD help please (Art, Tony, Jason, Stan, Brian, etc.)

Well as some of you know I blew my clutch to ******* pieces at the track the night I got my car back...lol. We pulled it out yesterday and all the pucks on one side had came off. The other side 1 had crushed on one of the legs (Tony I guess thats why it wasn't turning over...lol) Anyway, The fly wheel had a few lil scratches on it but I think I'm just going to have the stock one machined and sell it but I'm getting a new one while I'm at it. The tranny housing had some scratches on the inside but it didnt open a hole in it or anything. My boy up at Honda is going to open up the tranny today make sure everything was ok with synchro's ect.

Anyway, I have heard good things about the Clutch Masters clutch and what not but I think I'm just going to go with a exedy dual. What you guys think?

Also this is the sencod time it has happend where I been trying to do a buring out at the track and the passanger side tire wouldn't spin. Last time I was at only 30owhp and 10psi trying to spin 205/50 Nitto 555's and it didnt spin. That same burn-out I took my ACT Heavy Duty Pressure plate and street disc combo out. Anyway I was getting ready to head to Iraq like the next week and I still had my stock pressure plate and a ACT 4 puck laying around. I just thru that in and dam was that dumb. lol.

OK so I was thinking the tranny everythings out why not just upgrade from the stock LSD to a quaife or something. What you guys think about that? Should I just try out the stock LSD on the exedy or just go ahead and swap it out. I plan on running slicks here really soon too, just to put that out there.

(sorry so long BTW)

Modified by Erik B at 3:16 PM 5/25/2005
Old 05-10-2005, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Clutch/LSD help please (Erik B)

I dont know if youre familiar with Competition Clutch or not but i would definately look into getting one. I run that in my car as well as some other local guys with 400+whp (Olin, Toby, Chris etc...) and they would reccomend CC as well. Lightning Motorsports also keeps them in stock.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Erik B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well as some of you know I blew my clutch to ******* pieces at the track the night I got my car back...lol. We pulled it out yesterday and all the pucks on one side had came off. The other side 1 had crushed on one of the legs (Tony I guess thats why it wasn't turning over...lol) Anyway, The fly wheel had a few lil scratches on it but I think I'm just going to have the stock one machined and sell it but I'm getting a new one while I'm at it. The tranny housing had some scratches on the inside but it didnt open a hole in it or anything. My boy up at Honda is going to open up the tranny today make sure everything was ok with synchro's ect.

Anyway, I have heard good things about the Clutch Masters clutch and what not but I think I'm just going to go with a exedy dual. What you guys think?

Also this is the sencod time it has happend where I been trying to do a buring out at the track and the passanger side tire wouldn't spin. Last time I was at only 30owhp and 10psi trying to spin 205/50 Nitto 555's and it didnt spin. That same burn-out I took my ACT Heavy Duty Pressure plate and street disc combo out. Anyway I was getting ready to head to Iraq like the next week and I still had my stock pressure plate and a ACT 4 puck laying around. I just thru that in and dam was that dumb. lol.

OK so I was thinking the tranny everythings out why not just upgrade from the stock LSD to a quaife or something. What you guys think about that? Should I just try out the stock LSD on the exedy or just go ahead and swap it out. I plan on running slicks here really soon too, just to put that out there.

(sorry so long BTW)</TD></TR></TABLE>

Stage 5 Clutch Masters, I am bias but this is the clutch you need if your making that kinda power! Let me know if you have any questions..
Old 05-11-2005, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch/LSD help please (clutchmasters)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by clutchmasters &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Stage 5 Clutch Masters, I am bias but this is the clutch you need if your making that kinda power! Let me know if you have any questions.. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Negative My Clutch masters Stage 5 started slipping after 2500 miles on 535hp. I was forced to upgrade to tilton. Do either Tilton or exedy dual if you plan to make more power. Definitely do the quaife lsd, I love mines, I don't miss the one tire fire at all. Rich and Alan were telling me about your setup, Sounds like a mean setup that can make more power. I'm the dude with the JDM red integra that had 535hp, My new setup should yeild more power once i get my new turbo in. Good luck with everything man.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch/LSD help please (TOP_END_Turbo_GSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TOP_END_Turbo_GSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Negative My Clutch masters Stage 5 started slipping after 2500 miles on 535hp. I was forced to upgrade to tilton. Do either Tilton or exedy dual if you plan to make more power. Definitely do the quaife lsd, I love mines, I don't miss the one tire fire at all. Rich and Alan were telling me about your setup, Sounds like a mean setup that can make more power. I'm the dude with the JDM red integra that had 535hp, My new setup should yeild more power once i get my new turbo in. Good luck with everything man.</TD></TR></TABLE>

2500 huh, not bad if that is all on the strip (what is that, 10000 passes??) LOL. No, honestly though, the Clutch Masters FX 500 is a race only application and is meant to stand up to the full abuse of drag racing without the worry of breaking it in. If you are driving on the street with this clutch, you would get way to much whiplash and the clutch would not last as long as a street application! For high horsepower daily driver, we recomend the FX600 which is our street twin, this clutch will hold up to 3-4 hundred percent HP over stock and will last a long time considering the discs are kevlar lined.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:02 AM
95GSRTT

how much is the twin disc?
Old 05-11-2005, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch/LSD help please (95GSRTT)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95GSRTT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how much is the twin disc?</TD></TR></TABLE>

List price on the street twin is $1500.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:15 AM
95GSRTT

which means i can get one from a dealer for how much
Old 05-11-2005, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95GSRTT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">which means i can get one from a dealer for how much </TD></TR></TABLE>
Hard to say, $1200 or $1300 maybe? I will say that we don't make much on the twin disc applications because the cost is so high on them.
Old 05-11-2005, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95GSRTT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">which means i can get one from a dealer for how much </TD></TR></TABLE>

We have great deals on the CM twin disk clutches. Let me know if you need a price.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:10 PM

Default Re: Clutch/LSD help please (ben@importparts.com)

Erik honestly with your goals I would definatly look into doing a twin disc. Most twin disc setups that are available now all come with a lightened flywheel that are included with the clutch. I know you have been following my setup, and I honestly had a Clutchmasters Stage 5 with 4 Puck (unsprung) disc. After 3 months I had to replace it because it was blown to ****, but that was on my bad because I had some mishaps when I got the car back with riding the clutch and not dropping it like I should have on my burnouts, and daily driving the **** out of the car in stop/go traffic. I replaced it with another CM Stage 5, and it has been doing fine. I honestly don't know a lot about the Clutchmaster's Twin Disc setup that they offer, but have heard many good things about the Exedy and Competition Clutch Twin Disc Setups.

As far as your tranny goes, a quaife would NEVER hurt. I ran a stock LSD in my tranny and when I took the tranny apart three weeks ago to replace the syncros the LSD was in great condition. If you have the money and can afford to do the Quaife, then this would be the best time to do it. (Talk to Stan about the Quaife. ) As far as the tires not spinning with the burnout, it could just be that you need to raise the two-step. When I went from the 205 to the 225 tires I left my two-step at 5500rpm and while it worked great with the 205's, it didn't do a a damn thing for the 225's. Raised the two-step to 6500rpm on Neptune, and it worked like a charm. Another thing that you might look into right now while you are messing with your drive train is your axles. What kind are you running right now? If you have any more questions man you have my number or can hit me up on here.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch/LSD help please (Bulldogg83)

i own a exedy twin disc and am loving it. got about 7500 miles on it so far would highly recommand this clutch to everyone
Old 05-11-2005, 05:29 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

since i have gone through a CM stage 4 at 17 psi, granted it had 8000 miles on it, this time i went with a 2200 lb, 6 puck RPS with a segmented flywheel. i have kinda lost faith in CM a little. but i am still willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:23 AM

Default Re: Clutch/LSD help please (boostedcivicsir)

thanks guys. I'm getting the exedy dual and the LSD while I have the tranny out.

Brain I'm running the gator stage 3's already. I'll holla at Stan about the LSD tho since I have to call him up anyway and pay him some money I own him...lol
Old 05-24-2005, 02:52 AM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Erik B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks guys. I'm getting the exedy dual and the LSD while I have the tranny out.

Brain I'm running the gator stage 3's already. I'll holla at Stan about the LSD tho since I have to call him up anyway and pay him some money I own him...lol </TD></TR></TABLE>

You will be happy with a Twin Disc clutch! The Clutchmasters, Exedy, Tilton and Competition Clutch twin disc are all good! I can any of these for you as well so hit me up if interested or if you just have questions. I run a Competition Clutch Twin Disc in my car btw just fyi.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Erik B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks guys. I'm getting the exedy dual and the LSD while I have the tranny out.

Brain I'm running the gator stage 3's already. I'll holla at Stan about the LSD tho since I have to call him up anyway and pay him some money I own him...lol </TD></TR></TABLE>

Erik, you must have read my mind. I'd go with the excedy dual disk clutch and go ahead and replace the lsd with the quaife while you've got it apart. The stock type r lsd won't last too long with alot of abuse. The quaife is a much better piece. On the burnouts with 1 wheel spinning, that's the lsd not quite doing it's job. Give me a call if you need anything.
Old 05-24-2005, 10:12 AM

Sounds good Erik. If you need any other help with anything just let me know, and let me know when you are going to be back in town for the retune so I can make it up there.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostfed.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I run a Competition Clutch Twin Disc in my car btw just fyi. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Get that turd on the track already!
Old 05-25-2005, 12:42 AM

Default Re: Clutch/LSD help please (Bulldogg83)

Cool cool....I got the stuff coming in already. Stan hooked me up nice so I went ahead and ordered everything thru him

Should be at the track next Friday night

Fast Turbo
Old 05-25-2005, 12:43 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Erik B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Cool cool....I got the stuff coming in already. Stan hooked me up nice so I went ahead and ordered everything thru him

Should be at the track next Friday night

Fast Turbo </TD></TR></TABLE>

when you getting tuned mang?
Old 05-25-2005, 02:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for iraq! kuwait here..we call it the WAIT also how much for these parts?<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Erik B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">exedy dual and the gator stage 3's </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 05-25-2005, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Clutch/LSD help please (Redwidow)

Quaife
Old 05-25-2005, 09:13 AM
New User

Default Re: Clutch/LSD help please (PrecisionH23a)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PrecisionH23a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Quaife </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah we took care of you real good!!!! I was pleasantly surprised with Quaife's service and how they handled our situation! Quaife=

Edit:No problems with Quaife BUT just an order mix up! Quaife= and customer service from them=

If you need a Quaife I am a Direct dealer with them also.

Modified by Boostfed.com at 1:40 PM 5/25/2005
Old 05-25-2005, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch/LSD help please (Boostfed.com)

Exedy Twin for sure. Part# HMO22SR
Hit me up if you need one. I got two in stock.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:26 AM

Brain,

Imma hit the track on pump gas see how it does on 400whp with the DR's. I'm thinking bad wheel spin. Once I get my Bogarts and slicks I'll be getting it tuned again for more power.....let me put what I got down at the track 1st
Old 05-25-2005, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Erik B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Brain,

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Brain...that's a kick-*** name...I'm getting mine changed to that...

Quick Reply: Clutch/LSD help please (Art, Tony, Jason, Stan, Brain, etc.)