Notices

Civic Si / Turbo involvment ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic Si / Turbo involvment ?

I was thinking of getting a 2012-2013 Civic Si, and then adding a turbo kit to it.

I've been in the Honda scene for a very long time, was one of the first people out there modding etc, back in the day when I was 20 years old. I had a 94 civic coupe with a JRSC, stock bottom end, but ported head,cams,gears,headers etc. The car was the most fun thing drive. It had 280whp, and weighed in at 2200 lbs(lightened). My best 1/4 mile time was 12.1 @112mph on mickey thompson baby slicks. I've decided I might get another civic to kick around in, and saw some nice vids of the Civic Si's with full race kits, they are pretty effin nice.

My questions to you guys are the following :

What is a good RELIABLE setup for the civic Si ?
Whats involved to attain 400-450whp reliably ?

I'm guessing the following :

1.Turbo ( I have NO CLUE which turbo/trim/housing/size ).
2.Intercooler
3.Manifold
4.Intake
5.Exhaust ( I'd like to keep it low profile on tone, not 3'' catless, I'd like to keep cats, because of noise and smell)
6.Injectors
7.Cams needed ?
8.Clutch ? needed ?
9.Cam Gears, needed ?
10. Electronics ? Boost controller ? Knock computer ? Hondata ?
11. Wastegate, blowoff ?
12. Fuel pump ?

Not sure if I've missed anything.

I'd like to leave motor stock, as far as block/piston/rods/head,maybe cams too.

Is the stock engine capable of 400-450whp safely ??

Sorry if some of this sounds redundant or clueless, I'm pretty capable of working on cars etc, I've changed tranny, pistons,cams,head gaskets,etc, but I'm a little clueless recently on turbo setups, always loved turbos with alot of passion, but never got into turbo types etc.

Thanks in advance guys,

Chris
Old 01-22-2013, 01:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Civic Si / Turbo involvment ?

Check into bisimoto he built a newer civic platform.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bismoto ?

I could have sworn I just read topic stating they used cheap stuff ??

I could be wrong.

Is Full Race good ??
Old 01-22-2013, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just checked their website and it shows nothing about turbos ?
and site is slow !
Old 01-22-2013, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what about AJP performance ?
Old 01-22-2013, 05:30 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Full-Race would be the optimal choice; however, their parts come at a price. Fitment and quality are immaculate, as is their warranty/customer service. If you have the money and want an effortless setup that just works, give them a call. Of course, there are other options available, but being a new platform, it may have strange proprietary issues that only a few companies will address.

As for the power goals and what you want from the setup, that's going to take some research on your part. There are a thousand K-series setups floating around HT...find one you like based on desired characteristics and use it as a guide. Once you have a more solid plan in mind, we can give much better advice.

What is your budget?
What is your goal for the car?
What type of driving do you use it for?
What type of racing do you do?
Are there any specific characteristics you're looking to achieve?

Put a list together, give an importance rating for each aspect, and narrow your choices accordingly. If you buy parts and slap them together, you'll have a turbo setup, but it may not be optimal for your needs/wants. I would back up a few steps and develop a strategy...then buy parts to fit
Old 01-24-2013, 03:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1.budget is $5000 for all AFTER car purchase items.
2.goal is daily driver, 450whp.
3.i use it for daily drive, but typically redine it alot during my daily drives, but not harsh enough to break stuff, ie, drive like i stole it.
4.not much racing at all, used to drag at local strip, but too old now and track 2 hours away, daily local safe areas/streets usually, but no street races, i just open it up for fun basically.
5.looking to achieve a car thats reliable, exhaust emissions arent overwhelming(like my old civic, i used to have to literally wash my clothes and take shower upon exiting car, due to catless/open 3'' exhaust.)

another option would be for me to obtain an older civic si, maybe 2008-2011, are these years motors already established in turbo world ???

what are the engine / years of civic si's ?

also, why do ppl turbo the si's vs civic ex, are the si's similar to the old gsr engines vs the ex's engines ? probably so, dont even know why im asking, lol.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:40 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

won't be able to drive it like that all once it's boosted.... the end of 2nd will be jail time speeds. not to mention without a decent tire/suspension combo you'll spin at least 1st, 2nd and probably third
Old 01-24-2013, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ill be able to drive it just fine, ive already had a boosted car. i know exactly how it reacts,and this is part of he reason i want it , lol

I'm currently driving the 13 G37, thing is qwk and nice, but not as fun as a boosted civic
Old 01-24-2013, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This my friend, is the best a turbo kit can get for a newer SI

http://www.swiftracing.com/SRT/item.aspx?id=115

Complete 100% with injectors, hondata and everything.

Although it's already out of your budget, you may need a slightly larger budget for this build, if you want it to be top knotch...

Kit is $6200

Plus you need:

3" exhaust $300 to $800
good clutch $400 to $1500
Dyno tune $500

If you use an ebay exhaust for $300 (really isnt going to make a difference)
and something like a CC stage 4 clutch for $450

Your budget would be something like $7500, I am actually planning on doing exactly this set up on a 2010 civic SI as soon as the funds become available....good luck.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:40 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

^ when will people learn about same side inlet/outlet intercoolers? Shortens charge pipe length, fabrication time, cost, etc, plus it looks cleaner and is way easier to install.

I could eliminate almost 4-5ft of intercooler piping in that kit with a same side intercooler
Old 01-24-2013, 10:40 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Originally Posted by SCHYBRID
ill be able to drive it just fine, ive already had a boosted car. i know exactly how it reacts,and this is part of he reason i want it , lol

I'm currently driving the 13 G37, thing is qwk and nice, but not as fun as a boosted civic
So you just want to drive around everywhere spinning tires? That's not very practical... or even smart
Old 01-24-2013, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wantboost, your pretty negative, somebody **** in your cheerios?

he can drive a 450 whp car on the streets no problem, it has only been done about a million times, there are 450 whp cars on every street corner, so what exactly is the problem?

and yeah a same side in/out intercooler and shorter charge pipes is a good idea, but that is a top knotch turbo kit, it doesnt need any changes, it is perfect the way it is....
Old 01-24-2013, 12:01 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

I was basing my response on his "I like to redline everywhere I go" comment. Doing that in a 450hp cat = lots of wheel spin, noise, tire killing, fuel wasting and cop attention getting.... not to mention hell on the drive train

And I do agree, that kit looks top notch, I was simply noting something i would change
Old 01-24-2013, 12:59 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This style manifold: http://www.full-race.com/store/turbo...-manifold.html

I would suggest a Borg Warner S258/S259 for your setup, but if you have a little more money to blow, you could look into the new EFR series.

This kit would be a great start and isn't really that expensive... http://www.full-race.com/store/efr-t...-kit-2012.html
It has everything you need and all told it costs $5,789.96
Old 01-24-2013, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking of getting a 2012-2013 Civic Si, and then adding a turbo kit to it.

I've been in the Honda scene for a very long time, was one of the first people out there modding etc, back in the day when I was 20 years old. I had a 94 civic coupe with a JRSC, stock bottom end, but ported head,cams,gears,headers etc. The car was the most fun thing drive. It had 280whp, and weighed in at 2200 lbs(lightened). My best 1/4 mile time was 12.1 @112mph on mickey thompson baby slicks. I've decided I might get another civic to kick around in, and saw some nice vids of the Civic Si's with full race kits, they are pretty effin nice.

My questions to you guys are the following :

What is a good RELIABLE setup for the civic Si ?
Whats involved to attain 400-450whp reliably ?

I'm guessing the following :

1.Turbo ( I have NO CLUE which turbo/trim/housing/size ).
2.Intercooler
3.Manifold
4.Intake
5.Exhaust ( I'd like to keep it low profile on tone, not 3'' catless, I'd like to keep cats, because of noise and smell)
6.Injectors
7.Cams needed ?
8.Clutch ? needed ?
9.Cam Gears, needed ?
11. Wastegate, blowoff ?
12. Fuel pump ?

Not sure if I've missed anything.

I'd like to leave motor stock, as far as block/piston/rods/head,maybe cams too.

Is the stock engine capable of 400-450whp safely ??

Sorry if some of this sounds redundant or clueless, I'm pretty capable of working on cars etc, I've changed tranny, pistons,cams,head gaskets,etc, but I'm a little clueless recently on turbo setups, always loved turbos with alot of passion, but never got into turbo types etc.

Thanks in advance guys,

Chris
Greetings Chris,
Had to jump in and share a bit of information. Bisimoto has built a 2012 Civic Si that will be hitting the tracks later this year and we do offer several performance parts and custom turbocharges from Turbonetics. However, at this time we do not offer a complete bolt on kit for the 2012+ Si.

If your plans are to turbocharge a factory stock engine, I would recommend investing on a much more conservative goal of 300+WHP.

1.Turbo
2.Intercooler
3.Manifold
4.Intake
11. Wastegate, blowoff

Would have to be custom items if not purchased as a kit.

3in exhaust will be needed for your horse power goals and recommend for 300+whp as well. A high quality high flow catalytic would be ideal if you plan on utilizing one.

6.Injectors

A good quality set of hi imped injectors, if you need assistance and a great price PM me.

7.Cams needed ?

For 300whp your factory camshafts will be suitable.

8.Clutch ? needed ?

A must to upgrade clutch kit to prevent slippage.

9.Cam Gears, needed ?

K-series utizie a computer controlled system on the intake camshaft to advance and retard. This can be tuned via a Hondata Flashpro

Flash Pro would be best choice. Has built in electronic boost control with the use of a boost control solenoid, and as well knock sensor control.

12. Fuel pump ?
AEM Electronics offers a new 320LPH in tank fuel pump and we are currently offering this pump for only $100 shipped to the Continental USA.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:05 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

You mean AEM took someone else's pump and slapped their name on it... again *cough*infinity ems*cough*
Old 01-25-2013, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wantboost, Yeah i meant redline everywhere i go, as in, in a 10 minute drive around town, i would open it up a few times, redlining each gear, on certain long stretch roads, after ive already driven down them to check for cops etc, im older and wiser now, had my share of run-ins with the cops when younger (120mph in 40 etc) and dont need that kind of attention anymore. ive driven higher hp cars (camaro etc), and dont like the feel. the civic is soo much more nimble and fun, similar to a streetbike with a shell on it, alot lighter and fun, muscle cars are great, but not as fun on typical streets.

and yeah man , you seem a little on the negative side ???
Old 01-25-2013, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That full racekit that schister66 posted above would be a great choice as well, although it will cost a bit more because it doesnt have the hondata included, but full race is the best of the best for sure...

You can do 450 whp on a stock k20 with no problems, it has been done many many many times, and the stock cams will get you there, although a return fuel setup would be a good idea for anything above 400 whp...
Old 01-25-2013, 12:06 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

I'm jaded lol
Old 01-25-2013, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boosted_D
That full racekit that schister66 posted above would be a great choice as well, although it will cost a bit more because it doesnt have the hondata included, but full race is the best of the best for sure...

You can do 450 whp on a stock k20 with no problems, it has been done many many many times, and the stock cams will get you there, although a return fuel setup would be a good idea for anything above 400 whp...
From reading that his vehicle will be a daily driven setup and will be driven very aggressively, 450whp would not be recommend.

I do agree with a K20 (Type-S or R), the camshaft profiles are very aggressive factory. However, the new 2012 and up Civic utilize the K24z7 engine with far less aggressive profiles and variable valve timing only on the intake camshaft. This will not be that efficient at 450+whp, but of course if you throw enough boost it will do it.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boosted_D

return fuel setup, as in , changing the return fuel lines ?

are the stock lines not adequite ? Is the fuel being delivered faster than its getting returned, which could cause a starved fuel pump ?

whats involved with swapping out these lines, and at what HP, fuel pump would that be required ?

i thought most people used the typical walbro pump, and ive never heard of return fuel line issues ????
Old 01-26-2013, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Julio@Bisimoto
From reading that his vehicle will be a daily driven setup and will be driven very aggressively, 450whp would not be recommend.

I do agree with a K20 (Type-S or R), the camshaft profiles are very aggressive factory. However, the new 2012 and up Civic utilize the K24z7 engine with far less aggressive profiles and variable valve timing only on the intake camshaft. This will not be that efficient at 450+whp, but of course if you throw enough boost it will do it.

driven very aggressive as in, driving it hard on a daily basis, but not to the extent that im trying to break something on purpose.(aka, drive it like GTA4).

i typically let the car cool down between runs, as not to burn stuff up, but if a kit is setup at XXX amount of hp that says it can be run on a stock motor, then it should be able to handle the hp levels that the kit produces, if not, your right Bisi, the kit should be intalled,tuned,and advertised at lower levels. I'd rather know the truth up front vs smoke and mirrors turbo kit that claims xxx hp, but after 6 months, ivee blown something(head gasket, rings,piston,rods,etc)

are the full race kits 400-450 reliably setup for these motors, as in 2007-2011 engines, and the 2012-2013 engines.

Bisi / anybody, what are the different engines by year ?

ie...
2007-2009 xxx ?
2010-2011 xxx ?
and so on ?????
thanks for all of your input soo far guys
Old 01-26-2013, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The 06-11 K20 si's have a returnless fuel system, meaning there is no return line.
this can be a limiting factor in terms of fuel supply for big power.

I actually am not sure if the 12-13 K24 si's are returnless or not, but I would guess they are just the same as the 06-11.

You have to install a new pressure regulator and a return line to make it a return style fuel system, there are kits that come with everything needed.

And I believe the new 12-13 K24 si's can handle thesame amount of HP as a 06-11 K20 si, all the older K24's are in the same boat, they handle power well.

However, the SRT kit I posted above will NOT work, as it is for a 06-11 K20 si, so your stuck with full race kit, which is a best quality kit anyway, just a bit more money.

Bottom line is $5k budget is not going to get it done, you need to think more like $8k...
Old 01-26-2013, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

driven very aggressive as in, driving it hard on a daily basis, but not to the extent that im trying to break something on purpose.(aka, drive it like GTA4).

i typically let the car cool down between runs, as not to burn stuff up, but if a kit is setup at XXX amount of hp that says it can be run on a stock motor, then it should be able to handle the hp levels that the kit produces, if not, your right Bisi, the kit should be intalled,tuned,and advertised at lower levels. I'd rather know the truth up front vs smoke and mirrors turbo kit that claims xxx hp, but after 6 months, ivee blown something(head gasket, rings,piston,rods,etc)

are the full race kits 400-450 reliably setup for these motors, as in 2007-2011 engines, and the 2012-2013 engines.

Bisi / anybody, what are the different engines by year ?

ie...
2007-2009 xxx ?
2010-2011 xxx ?
and so on ?????
thanks for all of your input soo far guys

if you're looking to turbocharge a 2012+ Honda Civic Si with integrated manifold - i strongly recommend you speak with Full-Race about the EFR 7670 turbo kit... this is a technical turbokit with many nuances to address. 400-450whp daily driven on pump gas is not a problem (with flashpro obviously)

Quick Reply: Civic Si / Turbo involvment ?