Heres what I've found so far...

High Silicon 2618 Pistons:
CP
JE
Wiseco

Low Silicon Pistons:
Ross
Arias

I want to stay with a High silicon simply because they have a tighter fit, they make less noise, they are less harsh on rings due to the tighter fit. For those who are wondering, Higher Silicon = harder but more brittle piston, but expands less under heat. When you go to start an engine with a low silicon piston, you will get alot of piston noise and there will be alot more clearance between the piston and cylinder wall which puts more pressure on the rings and also causes blowby.

Enough of what I have learned today.

Is there any real differences between the pistons in the title?

I'm thinking about buying CP but I've heard somebody say they have a low spot which heats up and causes detonation/melts. But I've heard alot of people having good luck with them and they're on 400-650whp integras with no problems that I know of.

Wiseco pistons I've heard from a few people to stay away from simply because theres too much aluminum in them? Something about them making mostly motorcycle pistons, once again I've heard of alot of people here having success with them and my shop recommends them because they have wristpins that can handle 30+psi.

JE Pistons, I've heard that the quality employees quit and started another company, I haven't heard of any real problems with them, but one person said to stay away from them.

I see people running 400-650 on the CPs, but if they do have a low spot or a sharp edge, that would scare me away from them.
I know I can't listen to everybody, but I'm wondering which of these three would be my best choise. I like wiseco, but I don't see many cars running over 400whp on them.
JE, I have no clue, I always thought they made a good piston?

Honestly, I'm leaning twards CP.

What I'm looking for is a 250whp daily driver that I can repulley and bring up to 350-400whp if I want.

Also, should I just run 9.8:1 seeing as this is my daily driver on stock sleeves, or should I just go with 9:1.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man you're trying to cover all basis for your 300whp setup lol. I chose wiseco because of weight and price, they have a solid reputation but all you listed will work equaly as well. expecially at 300hp.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:28 PM
Mustang Sally

Default Re: (Boostage)

My biggest thing that weirds me out about Wiseco though is the fact that I've seen a few people around here selling 3 used and 1 new or 2 used and 2 new pistons. It's only Wiseco pistons I see that from which kinda scares me. I donno if it's a defect or if people just can't tune. Other then that I hear good things about them.

Also, I like to research on this stuff so when I get to my Mustang, I know more about what I'm talking about so I can make better choises.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (KooK)

Its tuning man, just a few posts down is a thread of a guy who broke all 4 cp's and claimed his afr's were 11.5 and properly tuned, there was also another thread earlier this week about another setup with cp's supposedly tuned right but cracked. now I know CP makes good pistons and I wouldnt hesitate to get them because of those few who had issues, nor would I hesitate on Wiseco's, or JE's etc, they have all proven to be great. the most I have ever heard problems about are SRP pistons. import builders and endyn swaer by wiseco and would never run anything else we arent alowed to post importbuilders links but I can show you endyn's Endyne's wiseco rollerwave pistons many claim its the best piston for a honda, but again thats just an opinion, they are all equally good from what I see.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.theoldone.com/artic...intro/
Old 12-17-2005, 09:48 PM
Mustang Sally

Alright, I'm now leaning heavily twards wiseco, but JE still isn't out of the picture yet
Old 12-17-2005, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KooK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Alright, I'm now leaning heavily twards wiseco, but JE still isn't out of the picture yet </TD></TR></TABLE>
dude seriously they are all good, as I said I chose wiseco because its the lightest, comes with coated side skirts,cheapest, and closest to stock design, I wanted the extra peace of mind knowing it was light because my motor will see minimum 9800 rpms but if you do a search you will see many people have had sucess with all those brands, including 800hp drag cars. SRP is the only iffy piston I know of.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:01 PM
Mustang Sally

Honestly, if it was between SRP and OEM, I would boost on OEM pistons again simply because I highly, highly dislike 4032 pistons. I don't know why.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
dude seriously they are all good</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup, except SRP.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:20 PM
Mustang Sally

Default Re: (J. Davis)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1442462

Stuff like that scares me!

Edit : Looks like the weight difference between Wiseco and JE is 14 grams (Like you said, Wiseco is lighter). Now I'm also wondering, where did that extra weight come off of? Because lighter isn't always better here .

Modified by KooK at 1:36 AM 12/18/2005
Old 12-17-2005, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Choosing Pistons, CP vs JE vs Wiseco (KooK)

from what i've found wisecos are the lightest due to the forgeing and machineing are all done here in the states.. other companys due get their forgeing done overseas and quallity control is not always the best.. i did some searching before i bought pistions and i choose wisecos im very pleased with them ...this is just some info i found when reseaching but if im wrong feel free the correct me...
Old 12-17-2005, 10:56 PM
Mustang Sally

Default Re: Choosing Pistons, CP vs JE vs Wiseco (black98gsr-t)

What kind of power and boost are you running?

I honestly think I'm just going to go with a 9.8:1 compression piston here because its my daily.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

as of now i' only running 8 psi or about 230 whp i just got the motor togther and im using my old greddy kit .. i plan on upgradeing once income tax time comes ..then i can put those nice parts to a good use .. i'm hoping to get at least 400 whp after all said and done.. i have a friend with a rsx-s with a cybernation kit that came with wisecos, he put down 406 at 19 psi on a 60-1 turbo
Old 12-17-2005, 11:04 PM
Dude it's a Dell..

more top engine builders choose weisco in nascar....and more companies use weisco for custom pistons (i.e Endyn, IB, RLZ, etc...)
Old 12-17-2005, 11:11 PM
New User

All the pistons you mentioned are great and will not have problems with them. Stay away from SRP which are High Silicon though and where did you get the info that Wiseco, JE and CP are HIGH SILICON?

Edit:2618 IS LOW silicon and contains .25% or less of Silicon where as 4032 contains 12% silicon

Modified by Boostfed.com at 3:52 AM 12/18/2005
Old 12-17-2005, 11:48 PM
my house has wheels on it

Default Re: Choosing Pistons, CP vs JE vs Wiseco (black98gsr-t)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by black98gsr-t &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">as of now i' only running 8 psi or about 230 whp i just got the motor togther and im using my old greddy kit .. i plan on upgradeing once income tax time comes ..then i can put those nice parts to a good use .. i'm hoping to get at least 400 whp after all said and done.. i have a friend with a rsx-s with a cybernation kit that came with wisecos, he put down 406 at 19 psi on a 60-1 turbo</TD></TR></TABLE>you talking about Joo's car? if so that thing is freaking nice!
Old 12-18-2005, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Choosing Pistons, CP vs JE vs Wiseco (BrokeAssWhiteboy)

i went wiseco. i got the dished ones, and with my setup they are about 9:1. this is 81.5mm stock sleeves. i have no probs, right now runnning 7 psi or about 225whp on a basemap.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its tuning man,</TD></TR></TABLE>

yep. i got scammed on here for a set of wiseco's that were supposedly useable again. the werent. needed a new piston. it was in the tuning, the guy ran lean on the dyno and cracked his sleeve.

i run wiseco, most of my friends run cp or arias. none of us have piston problems at all
Old 12-18-2005, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostfed.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All the pistons you mentioned are great and will not have problems with them. Stay away from SRP which are High Silicon though and where did you get the info that Wiseco, JE and CP are HIGH SILICON?

Edit:2618 IS LOW silicon and contains .25% or less of Silicon where as 4032 contains 12% silicon

Modified by Boostfed.com at 3:52 AM 12/18/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree with that, I have JE and they are a bit loud when I start it up, but its normal, I would rather have stronger pistons and listen to it. I think any of them are good, I would just stay away from CP and SRP. With my JE I dont have much blowby and its been running for 6 months now with no major problems that Im aware of. (knock on wood)
Old 12-18-2005, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in the past i would have said CP pistons would have been a decent choice....but if you search over the passed couple months there have been atleast 5-7 CP piston failures.......so stay away from garbage.........CP=garbage

wiseco=
Old 12-18-2005, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Choosing Pistons, CP vs JE vs Wiseco (non-VTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by non-VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">in the past i would have said CP pistons would have been a decent choice....but if you search over the passed couple months there have been atleast 5-7 CP piston failures.......so stay away from garbage.........CP=garbage

wiseco= </TD></TR></TABLE>

theres absolutely nothing wrong with CP's. Earl will straighten you out. Most of the time, its the builders fault, not the pistons.

Poor assembly=poor results.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KooK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1442462

Stuff like that scares me!

Edit : Looks like the weight difference between Wiseco and JE is 14 grams (Like you said, Wiseco is lighter). Now I'm also wondering, where did that extra weight come off of? Because lighter isn't always better here .

Modified by KooK at 1:36 AM 12/18/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>

Kook I have two b16's. one is sleeved and being built with wisecos and pauter rods right now, the other is currently in my car with eagle rods and one bad je and 3 good ones, I can takes pics for you. it happens, I can tell you for certain it WAS a tuning issue. unlike people here who say the afr's were perfect and the tuning was good and they still took a ****. its simple not true. pistons dont just fall apart, detonation makes them fall apart. if I were to sell my Je's right now I would have only 3 to sell. that would probably scare the next person who does a search for je's. but that was tuning, je's are solid,as are wiseco's,arias,Cp,mahle. this isnt that complicated man flip a coin.

From what I see from other local cars, wiseco's dont have that cold knocking like je's do, imo its the best out of the bunch for many,many reasons but as I said 40 times already. it doesnt matter which one you get, as long as its not srp.

Modified by Boostage at 12:24 PM 12/18/2005
Old 12-18-2005, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's wrong with SRP? READ ON

I have a set in my current setup that has been thru two blown motors, one motor it leaned out and the rings went out the pistons where still good no damage then I put them in another setup that I cracked two sleeves still the pistons showed no damage and currently their in my sleeved block with a good tune and 2yrs and counting and running strong. So imo SRP's are a good piston I would use them again.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DRAGLS)

not calling you a liar but I sure as hell have never seen a sleeve crack while the pistons were still intact, I can understand the rods being fine but exactly how do aluminium pistons stand up to detonation force enough to crack iron?
Old 12-18-2005, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Believe it or not its possible and it happen to me and I am still running those pistons today

Here are the same pistons use on my last two setups

Old 12-18-2005, 09:40 AM

Default Re: (DRAGLS)

je

Quick Reply: Choosing Pistons, CP vs JE vs Wiseco