Notices

Chipped p06, car won't start anymore. Solid CEL

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 04:57 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chipped p06, car won't start anymore. Solid CEL

I just converted my OBD0 Teg to OBD1 using a conversion harness for the ECU and the Distributor (using an OBD1 distributor) and now, the car won't start up and I get a solid CEL.

The ECU is a chipped p06 that I bought online and had my tuner chip it. Could the ECU be defective? I tried pulling out the codes by jumping the 2 service wires and I still get a solid CEL.

I could possibly get my hands on an OBD1 PR4, could I simply pull the chip from the P06 and put it in the PR4? Would it work? (Are the baseboards the same on the P06 and PR4? Is it just a matter of putting a different program in there or they are not compatible?)

Thanks a lot! Car has been in the garage for the last 2 months, i'm anxious to drive it!!
Old 07-24-2007, 05:38 AM

Default Re: Chipped p06, car won't start anymore. Solid CEL (Answer)

it could be a bad ecu, bad chip job, bad chip, possibly bad wiring/conversion? burn a new chip to see if the chip was bad (or just a bad burn). if that doesn't work, try the pr4 just to see if you get a solid cell.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:36 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Chipped p06, car won't start anymore. Solid CEL (ndogg)

Well, I don't think it could be a bad wiring job as I bought both conversion harnesses. (They could be defective, but unlikely)

I will open up the ECU to take a look at the soldering job but I'm pretty confident it's ok. It was not done by me but by someone who as done a lot of chipping jobs.

I'll try to get a virgin OBD1 PR4 just to see if the CEL goes off like it should. I won't be able to start the car since I have 450cc injectors and I'm pretty sure a stock ECU won't be able to keep the car running with those but I will at least see if the CEL acts as normal.

Keep the inputs coming!

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2007, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Solid light mean there is problem with the ECU, could be problem chipping
Old 07-24-2007, 02:41 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Chipped p06, car won't start anymore. Solid CEL (StolenTeg)

Ok, assuming that the chipping job is OK and the P06 ECU is toasted, could I put the chip in an OBD1 PR4? (I would chip the PR4 myself)

If I swap the chip, is it gonna work in a PR4 or I really need to find another P06 for it to work?

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2007, 05:38 PM

yes it will work to put the chip in a PR4
Old 07-27-2007, 04:43 AM
Trial User

OK, got part of the problem solved. The chip had a bent pin that was not making contact on the socket. The CEL now goes off after 2 seconds. But the car is still not starting. I looked for spark by putting a spark plug in a wire and grounding it, I did not see any spark.

One more thing, when I jump the service wires, I get a solid CEL. Is that the way it's supposed to be or the ECU still has some problems?

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2007, 01:45 PM

solid cell is ecu problem. there is still something wrong with chip/chipjob/burn/ecu.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i had the same problem a year ago i put my chip in backwards and fried the chip.open your ecu and see if you chip looks like this.(also the blue is dif socket).
Old 07-27-2007, 05:01 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Chipped p06, car won't start anymore. Solid CEL (HondaCivicSiR1)

Chip is on the right side. First thing I checked.

Not having another ECU or chip to test out is not helping my problem here... Car was fine before the OBD conversion and i'm using Xenocron.com conversion harnesses so I assume they're good. About the only thing left is ECU/chip, but I got no way to test them out.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

then try the ecu in another car and try another obd1 ecu in your car.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Answer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OK, got part of the problem solved. The chip had a bent pin that was not making contact on the socket. The CEL now goes off after 2 seconds. But the car is still not starting. I looked for spark by putting a spark plug in a wire and grounding it, I did not see any spark.

One more thing, when I jump the service wires, I get a solid CEL. Is that the way it's supposed to be or the ECU still has some problems?

Thanks!</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's supposed to give you a solid CEL when you jump the service connector when there is no CEL present. And yes, with a chipped ECU the CEL light comes on until the fuel pump is done priming and then it will turn off. As long as it turns off you are good to go.

Sometimes basemaps don't start the car, as long as it's not throwing a code then it's probably just the basemap. If you can fire the car with a stock ECU then it's definitely the basemap.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:46 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Chipped p06, car won't start anymore. Solid CEL (SovXietday)

There's the problem, I don't have a stock ECU to start the car and I have 450cc installed. My stock ECU was OBD0 so I can't try it. (Everything was working fine before the conversion)

I need to try to find a stock OBD1 PR4 to try it, but they aren't that easy to find and I don't feel like paying 125 bucks for one at the scrap yard.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:11 PM
rel
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Chipped p06, car won't start anymore. Solid CEL

got the same problem on a stock ecu, i get a blink one before one after the cycle and when i try the start it solid red and i ripped out the dash harness put in a new one new fues box and all and its still doing it i ever put the pr4 on my zc and drove it for a week and it still doing it in my hatch wtf
Old 05-13-2017, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Answer
I just converted my OBD0 Teg to OBD1 using a conversion harness for the ECU and the Distributor (using an OBD1 distributor) and now, the car won't start up and I get a solid CEL.

The ECU is a chipped p06 that I bought online and had my tuner chip it. Could the ECU be defective? I tried pulling out the codes by jumping the 2 service wires and I still get a solid CEL.

I could possibly get my hands on an OBD1 PR4, could I simply pull the chip from the P06 and put it in the PR4? Would it work? (Are the baseboards the same on the P06 and PR4? Is it just a matter of putting a different program in there or they are not compatible?)

Thanks a lot! Car has been in the garage for the last 2 months, i'm anxious to drive it!!
OK, got part of the problem solved. The chip had a bent pin that was not making contact on the socket. The CEL now goes off after 2 seconds. But the car is still not starting. I looked for spark by putting a spark plug in a wire and grounding it, I did not see any spark.

Thanks!
help my po6 ecu is chipped but has a kind of switch when i turn on works but after 10 sec off at the stock map y checked everything
Old 05-14-2017, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts

Check the solder job at J1 jumper, fix if necessary.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Txdragon
on j1 has like a switch and i turn on and works gor 10 sec but switch still on and when a turn off start the program and the chip says vtec 8500 is a po6 auto ecu on a d15b7 non vtec
Old 05-14-2017, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts