Check out my cylinder head, welds, and pnp job

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 11:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Check out my cylinder head, welds, and pnp job

Sup guys. Right now I'm currently attending Wyotech and I'm in Chassis Fabrication class and all this week we have welding tests for mig, tig, oxy, plasma, and metal finishing and I though I'd show some of my welds to you guys. Also, I posted up a pic of my gsr head to see if it was ok. I don't know what happened to it before I got it but I has a pnp by myself and will be going on the flow bench this week. Setup will be fully built ls/vtec 84.5mm bore, built gsr head, hp racing sheet metal intake, sfp race manifold, t3/gt40 blowzilla, tuned on aem ems with 1,000cc injectors.
Heres the shot of the cc, check out that area at the bottom of the chamber....

Different cylinder

Intake port

Exhaust port

Last but not least my fillet weld, I have more but I have to find em......comments welcome.

Backside of weld, pic is a bit blurry but you get the point.

Update pics from tonights welding Here's a fillet weld: 1/8" welded to 1/16"

Shot of penetration side: Easier to see penetration blistering like this

Thanks for looking
Ryan

Modified by Teglove2 at 2:55 AM 1/19/2006
Old 01-18-2006, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Check out my cylinder head, welds, and pnp job (Teglove2)

your porting makes baby jesus cry.

stick to welding.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Check out my cylinder head, welds, and pnp job (Justin Jones)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Justin Jones &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your porting makes baby jesus cry.

stick to welding. </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol!! damn take it easy on my dude, its is first time .
Old 01-18-2006, 07:05 AM

Default Re: Check out my cylinder head, welds, and pnp job (D-tuned)

Weld looks ok man Keep up the good work!! Can you flow the head?
Old 01-18-2006, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Welds look nice. Hows the cage coming???
Old 01-18-2006, 09:33 AM

Default Re: (mrbigg9032)

Not too sure if it's just the pics or not but the Porting Job you did doesn't look that well done.It's looks very uneven and rough in most spots.Good job though on the welds,they look great
Old 01-18-2006, 09:39 AM

Weld looks good...the porting...well.... *cringe*
Old 01-18-2006, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just wondering, learning how to weld is obviously cool, but what do you think of Wyotech overall?
I did a tour of their campus in my area (sacramento) and I thought it was a ******* joke. They didn't teach anything I'd want to learn or don't already know, and they'd charge me 30k. They guy actually said "this school is set up to train you for an entry level tech position"..I could have gotten that when I was 16!
Have they actually taught you anything about performance engines that you didn't already know at your campus?
Old 01-18-2006, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How can anyone on here tell that my porting is uneven from that pic? And yes, it will be going on the flow bench sometime this week so I will post the results on that. Thanks for the compliments on the welds. I've been tig welding constantly for the past 4 days to get that. It's definitely one of the hardest things I've ever done but the most gratifying once you get it right. Dont forget, I still need to know about the combustion chamber, how's it look? The cage will not be put in until I get that head back to my house and drive the car to school to put the cage in. I will update that as soon as I start it. The reason why the ports don't look perfect is because it took these pics on my bedroom floor and the camera wasn't perfectly straight so...........
Anyways, thanks for the positive feedback guys!
Ryan
Btw, Wyotech has kind of been a roller coaster ride for me. The first 6 months really sucked but I have learned a lot. It's amazing how much I didn't know and continue to learn. So yes I definitely would recommend it. And it looks very good on your resume that you went here because most of the dealer specific training facilities won't look at you unless you've gone to one of few post sencondary automotive schools...hope that helps a little.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Teglove2)

welds look great btw, porting not bad for a first time i can't say much because i never tried. but about wyotech i guess i'm a bit bitter. i went there knowing 3/4 of the stuff they tought me now i owe them $25grand for not learning much at all i would have to say i made a life long mistake. for somebody that doesn't know much at all going into it i guess you could say it's worth it, i'd still rather go local and cheap for schooling.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:55 PM
official honda whore

Default Re: (danthemang3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by danthemang3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">welds look great btw, porting not bad for a first time i can't say much because i never tried. but about wyotech i guess i'm a bit bitter. i went there knowing 3/4 of the stuff they tought me now i owe them $25grand for not learning much at all i would have to say i made a life long mistake. for somebody that doesn't know much at all going into it i guess you could say it's worth it, i'd still rather go local and cheap for schooling.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i would say the same for me and wyotech, im still here till march and i went for business management and automotive tech, the automotive tech so far is bullshit and the business management courses are not transferable to anywhere incase you want to get a bachelors like i do, so now im goin to college in the fall and it will basically be a fresh start with 25,000 in education that the only real things i feel i learned were electrical trouble shooting and hopefully drivetrain will be worth it also

btw port job doesnt look so hot, and be careful on your welds that you didnt have any air pockets as they will become hotspots etc
Old 01-18-2006, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (coptzer)

they teach you how to clean floors really well though, allways something good to know...
Old 01-18-2006, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sometimes the most visually appealing ports don't make power.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Check out my cylinder head, welds, and pnp job (Teglove2)

On the positive side, the porting could be cleaned up a lot by scrubbing with a couple cartidge rolls. However, it does look super uneven, and is very obvious in the pictures. so you'll have to sacrifice some divider to compensate...

Also, knife edging the intake divider... generally not a good idea... keep it round. taking material from the floor, also 99% of the time not a good idea. Don't touch the short turn radius and don't polish the surfaces, it's gonna mess up the fuel suspension. Generally, DON'T TOUCH the ports if you're a beginner. lol. removing casting flash and cleaning up the walls with a cartidge roll at low RPM is cool.

Looks kinda like my first port job, on a D16Z6. There's only one way to learn!!!!!! school of hard knocks.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jared)

Porting the right away is a pain in the ***. If you flow the head you find what looks like it will work doesn't. And in some cases make it worse.
The head I ported on my own car took about 20 hours , not including the seting up the flow bench each time to balance the ports.

Do a little at a time and flow it , see what works and what dosn't.

Have fun.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CRVRX)

welds look good....

not to bash....but u can really screw up a head by not porting it propeply

this is my ported head...made a big difference on my boosted motor the whole way thru the power band

a while back my buddy tried porting his b16head...it gained like 15hp up top...but lost 10-20hp thru the band...

also...i know their is different ways of porting for a all-motor set-up vs. Boost

anyways here's the pix

full manley valve train

BTW my head was ported by Dave @ HeadGames thx to full-race
Old 01-18-2006, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CRVRX)

yeah but it should be mentioned flow bench numbers don't always make HP/torque, i can hog the f*ck out of a port, shine it up and make it look pretty, flow it and make crazy CFM, bolt it onto the block and lose power over a professionally done head like RLZ and Endyn that flow less CFM. Benches are good for keeping things even from port to port, it's a great tool for that, and it gives you a good idea of what's going on, but don't port purely for numbers, especially on a mild street application. Porting is a black art, and the best thing is EXPERIENCE. You've gotta think like the air/fuel and experiment lots.

Also, it's all a package the ports have to work with the rest of the engine, the cams, the displacement, the valvejob... the compression, the intake mani, the header... So many other factors...

anyway man good luck
Old 01-18-2006, 06:59 PM

If you want to check out a school that is more on the high performance side of things check out the University of Northwestern Ohio. For almost every regular automotive class there is a high performance class to go along with it. Including HP machining, HP suspension and steering, HP drive lines, HP custom engine building, HP fuel systems, HP welding, and HP fabrication. I have been attending UNO for the past year and a half and love it. Diploma, associates, or bachelors degrees are offered and it is not the most expensive school either.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I love how everyone is always telling me the obvious!!! I'm not a ****** moron! The only reason why the ports look uneven is because thats the way i took the picture on my bedroom floor......and no, I took VERY minimal amount of material off the intake ports I just cleaned them up a bit and got rid of the casting marks at low speed just like you said. I did, however, remove more material from the exhaust.
TGrant, I visited Northwestern and I hated it so I came here and I'm glad I did. I hated the city of Lima and the school did not seem to impress me at all with their facilites and living quarters. "My turbo is too big?" Hell nah! Not when you're shooting for 600whp it aint mang! Also, Justin Jones, I DID NOT polish the intakes I used cartridge rolls like you said. I did, however, polish the exhaust ports. I am new to porting heads but I'm not an idiot and I ask the experts for advice before making any drastic changes because I know cfm numbers don't equal power..........
Ryan
Sorry If I sounded like an ******* but damn I'm not that stupid.
Almost forgot, no one commented on the combustion chamber!!!
Old 01-18-2006, 11:09 PM
BCICAN

Hmmm were you drunk when you were welding Ryan?

JUST KIDDING man haha....thought I would play along with all the negative comments. You at least have the ***** to try porting, so I have to say good job to that. But yea, the welds look really good
Old 01-19-2006, 02:53 AM

I never said your turbo was too big. Thats my signature.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TGrant)

the welds look very good.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am by no means a head porter but I do know that the intake ports need to be somewhat rough to promote swirl...
Old 01-19-2006, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jared)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jared &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sometimes the most visually appealing ports don't make power.</TD></TR></TABLE> 100% correct my man Most people wouldnt know a badass head if it fell on them.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Teglove2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I love how everyone is always telling me the obvious!!! I'm not a ****** moron! The only reason why the ports look uneven is because thats the way i took the picture on my bedroom floor......and no, I took VERY minimal amount of material off the intake ports I just cleaned them up a bit and got rid of the casting marks at low speed just like you said. I did, however, remove more material from the exhaust.
TGrant, I visited Northwestern and I hated it so I came here and I'm glad I did. I hated the city of Lima and the school did not seem to impress me at all with their facilites and living quarters. "My turbo is too big?" Hell nah! Not when you're shooting for 600whp it aint mang! Also, Justin Jones, I DID NOT polish the intakes I used cartridge rolls like you said. I did, however, polish the exhaust ports. I am new to porting heads but I'm not an idiot and I ask the experts for advice before making any drastic changes because I know cfm numbers don't equal power..........
Ryan
Sorry If I sounded like an ******* but damn I'm not that stupid.
Almost forgot, no one commented on the combustion chamber!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Cool man looks like you're on the right track. yeah I thought you were going to polish the intakes since the title of the thread had "PNP job" in it and usually when people say PNP they think polished ports=the ****.

Good luck again.

Quick Reply: Check out my cylinder head, welds, and pnp job