Notices

Cheap b18 build? options for cheap strength?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap b18 build? options for cheap strength?

So i have read all about devcon, and im set on the stuff. it seems to be great. but the problem is that your still spending nearly 700 +/- on forged rods and pistons to be able to take the power that we crave. a lot of the d series guys have gotten around this by using pistons and rods from other engines, with pretty good success.

my question is what options are there for a cheap b18 build? any parts that would work well with minimal modifications? im looking for 300-400 daily driven horsepower, so its devcon and some sort of internals for me. what would you suggest if im doing this as cheap as possible. aka poor college student syndrome hah

thanks for the help/suggestions
Old 03-08-2006, 02:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cheap b18 build? options for cheap strength? (tek_civic)

Well, there are B18's and there are B18's. Stock GSR will eat 350 whp with a good setup and good tuning. LS... 275-300, but 300 is on the thin ice.

Personally, just losing vehicle weight and having boost gets you further than anything. If you're a cheap college student, maybe a turbo Honduh isn't for you.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:15 AM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Cheap b18 build? options for cheap strength? (tek_civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tek_civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> but the problem is that your still spending nearly 700 +/- on forged rods and pistons to be able to take the power that we crave.

my question is what options are there for a cheap b18 build? any parts that would work well with minimal modifications? im looking for 300-400 daily driven horsepower, so its devcon and some sort of internals for me. what would you suggest if im doing this as cheap as possible. aka poor college student syndrome hah

thanks for the help/suggestions</TD></TR></TABLE>

cheap, reliable, fast ~ pick two

seriously man. even if you were to find out that stock 88 5.0HO ford rods and forged pistons would fit in your b18, you'd STILL have to have the machine work done to the block for the clearancing/piston size and having the rod journals cut down to fit, etc.

$700 for rods/pistons is NOT expensive. Even on a budget.

eat ramen, cash in your meal ticket, ditch your friends when they bug you to go out partying and move into the roach-motel dorm.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you're a cheap college student, maybe a turbo Honduh isn't for you. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree, wait till you get out of college and get a decent paying job then splurge like the rest of us.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cheap b18 build? options for cheap strength? (stackz)

Eagles, traded a street tune for a set NIB. 9:1 Probes 2.5 o/s with pins locks and rings, traded a set of Rocket M20/M21 regrinds I paid $275 shipped for. Speed Phreak's old head with 6K miles on Crower valvetrain and Webcam billets (and 90-91 cable trans with good gearset+case/bad diff) = $250.

Known good combo for 375-400 whp pump gas on free LS engine, some machining and assembly required. It takes a while to collect parts that are good and cheap like that, though, but that may suit your brokedick collegeboy finances... you know, where by the time you get all your parts together you've graduated and have a real job and are making money.

Seriously, if you're in college, and don't have a place to work on your car, and NEED it to be reliable and not cost a ton of money to keep up, wait. If you can't then stay stock engine, shoot for a lower power figure, and enjoy it.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cheap b18 build? options for cheap strength? (J. Davis)

lol, i was asking for some technical advice on piston/rod combo's, not financial consulting.

anyways let me add a little more info. this car is my race car, i have a daily driver, so reliability is a good thing but not necessary 100% of the time. this is also not my first turbo project car, my last was a ls/vtec turbo eg, so im familiar with costs and how it consumes your money.

anyways i think i will end up just keeping my eye out for some cheap deal forged stuff.

id still like to know if certain other piston/rods can be used in a LS block for added strength on the cheap.

thanks

EDIT: i forgot to add that im going to school for automotive industry management, so i have full access to many machinest tools. i have no problem boring, notching, or othewise modifing a block.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for me