Notices

Changing Intercooler Require re-tune?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Intercooler Require re-tune?

If i changed intercooler lets say a front mount to a side mount.. would my car require a complete new tune?
Old 09-09-2010, 09:13 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Changing Intercooler Require re-tune?

Possibly. You may have to change timing within the computer if the side mount is inefficient as it may heat soak (from bad air flow or bad fin design) and increase temperatures in the throttlebody. Didn't we discuss this? Your shorter piping that you're asking from this sidemount won't change any response from the turbo. ;-)

For the size turbo you're using, only a side mount from a Supra or something of similar design would work. Remember, a turbocharger is nothing but a heat exchanger, receiving the airflow that was converted to pressurized air (which increases air temperatures as it comes out of the compressor outlet) and goes through the intercooler, cooling that charge air (if efficient and has access to a cool air source) before it enters into the throttlebody, intake manifold and combustion chamber. If that heat exchanger isn't efficient, no matter how short your piping gets, you may be making things WORSE than the good tune that you had already.

I can't be more plain than this:
Old 09-09-2010, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i am looking at more efficiency of my whole set up all together.

i run a EG which has no real air flow into the motor since the bumper space is limited, and when i have a front mount there, i basically close the door even more so to speak.

i only concerned with running 13.5 psi which equates to 233whp..

with a side mount from a skyline, I believe there will be no heat soaking .. unless i turn the boost up past its efficiency range, which is probably between 16 to 20 psi.. is where it will reach its limits.

I know that I wont gain any real performance, however there will be a ton more air flowing into the engine bay and thus the whole encompassing system will run cooler.

Last edited by wtsapexipowerfc; 09-09-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the toyota supra side mount intercooler would be a better choice than a GTST dide mount skyline intercooler?
Old 09-10-2010, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think the shodan hit the nail in the coffin with that one
Old 09-10-2010, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by wtsapexipowerfc
i am looking at more efficiency of my whole set up all together.

I know that I wont gain any real performance, however there will be a ton more air flowing into the engine bay and thus the whole encompassing system will run cooler.
I understand, and yes engine bay temps can be a concern. But what you're looking at is RADIANT, EXOTHERMIC heat, which is a by product of the engine combustion from the increased pressurized airflow going into the chamber. There's nothing that will make that "cooler". Even OEM turbocharged applications have insulation materials under the hood covering the "ribs", wrapped around coolant lines and other sensitive areas that NA applications don't have to worry about. You're not going to win that battle by putting something more inefficient on the car that could increase your chances of detonation just to get the engine bay ambient temp to be cooler.

As I stated in my PMs to you, you are concentrating on the wrong areas for cooling the engine effectively from detonation and damage.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Exothermic heat? As opposed to endothermic heat?

Like I said on d-series, you may have to play with your IAT correction tables, but that's about it.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by TheShodan
I understand, and yes engine bay temps can be a concern. But what you're looking at is RADIANT, EXOGENRIC heat, which is a by product of the engine combustion from the increased pressurized airflow going into the chamber. There's nothing that will make that "cooler". Even OEM turbocharged applications have insulation materials under the hood covering the "ribs", wrapped around coolant lines and other sensitive areas that NA applications don't have to worry about. You're not going to win that battle by putting something more inefficient on the car that could increase your chances of detonation just to get the engine bay ambient temp to be cooler.

As I stated in my PMs to you, you are concentrating on the wrong areas for cooling the engine effectively from detonation and damage.
Fixed