Notices

CEL..PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 02:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL..PLEASE HELP

Alright I drive a 98 turboed gsr tuned on hondata s200, rc 550 injectors, inline pro mani, 2.5 dp, test pipe, thrmal turboback. the car has about 600 miles on a fully built gsr motor. The car was tuned as well as broken in on the dyno about 2 months ago.

The problem.....every day when I first get in my car and drive for like 20 minutes i throw a CEL, though no performance at all seems to be affected. Now if I turn the car off and back on the CEL is not saved and will not come back on no matter how long i drive the car tha time. If i let the car sit and cool down and drive again the same thing will happpen.

I read the CEL....2 long flashes and 2 or 3 shorts ones...o2 code right? I don't think i have any o2 sensors left? I thought Hondata would over ride this? I have a p28 jdm ecu with a skunk 2 conversion harness to obd1. I spoke with the shop who rebuilt my car becuase I never had this CEL before even when my ringlands cracked.

Guys plese help me here becuase I just paid for a rebuild and if the shop is at fault here I need them to find the problem. Possible it could be something simple like a reading of no o2 sensor or something? Why is the CEL not being saved on my ecu and not coming right back on after I restart the car?

I would greatly appreciate any ideas/help. Any more needed info just pos and I will get back asap. I am stumped?
Old 11-25-2005, 02:34 AM
On Fire!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: CEL..PLEASE HELP (b18c198)

First off I would suggest that you read the code first and know how many long and short flashes there are. With the hondata installed the ecu will not save any codes so the cel won't stay on like it would with stock ecu.

So get the code read and report back.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18c198 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I read the CEL....2 long flashes and 2 or 3 shorts ones...o2 code right? I don't think i have any o2 sensors left? I thought Hondata would over ride this? I have a p28 jdm ecu with a skunk 2 conversion harness to obd1. I spoke with the shop who rebuilt my car becuase I never had this CEL before even when my ringlands cracked. </TD></TR></TABLE>

This looks like he read the codes to me, but he should make sure which code it is EXACTLY. 22 = Knock Sensor, 23 = Vtec oil pressure switch. Not sure where he is gettin the O2 sensor cel data from.

b18c198 - Are you gettin in your car and driving right away? Or are you letting the car warm up first? Sounds like you are just gettin in and driving, more data will help to diagnose your problem.

What exactly is your car doing when the cel comes in? In vtec? Low rpm? More data.......
Old 11-25-2005, 10:35 AM

Default Re: CEL..PLEASE HELP (KeyserSoze)

I never just get in the car and drive away....the motor is fully built so it need time to warm up. I will never get on it unless my temp guage is fully warmed. The CEL will come on about 20 minutes or later after spirited driving......but usually I have to be getting on it for it to initially come on and then it stays lit. Funny thing is, is that, it tends to happen more frequent in the morning after my car has sat all night. There were times when it came on and I shut my car off, turned it back on, deliberately driving to see if it would light again to no avail.

I am going to read the code again today to be sure that I know the proper flashes...sorry guys for the misleading info about 2 or 3 flashes.

Reagarding when the CEl activates, yes it mainly is in high rpm....... Thank you I did not know about the Hondata not saving the CEL.

Keep you guys posted.

Modified by b18c198 at 1:06 PM 11/25/2005
Old 11-25-2005, 11:45 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

well, hondata is obd1 so it rules the knock sensor out... so its the vtec pressure switch. check the oil level... i found when mine was low it would come on and off in higher rpms
Old 11-25-2005, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CEL..PLEASE HELP (wantboost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wantboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well, hondata is obd1 so it rules the knock sensor out... so its the vtec pressure switch. check the oil level... i found when mine was low it would come on and off in higher rpms</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good idea. I would also check the screen on for the vtec solenoid if I were you. They get a little clogged sometimes.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CEL..PLEASE HELP (wantboost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wantboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well, hondata is obd1 so it rules the knock sensor out... so its the vtec pressure switch. check the oil level... i found when mine was low it would come on and off in higher rpms</TD></TR></TABLE>

i think you made a mistake...odb 1 gsrs use knock sensors...P28s however do not have a knock board anybody know if jdm p28s have knock boards?
Old 11-26-2005, 04:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CEL..PLEASE HELP (D@nnY)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D@nnY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i think you made a mistake...odb 1 gsrs use knock sensors...P28s however do not have a knock board anybody know if jdm p28s have knock boards?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Lol, duh, I have a 94 gsr in my coupe and it has a knock sensor. Didn't even think about it.... No clue about the jdm p28's.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:11 AM

jdm p28 is either p91 or p08 and niether has knock board. he would have cel as soon as turning on the car if it wasn't disabled. they also don't have o2 heater and if it was an o2 code that too would come on right away if not disabled properly.

i'm leaning towards the vtec issue...low oil/clogged screen or solinoid acting up.