Notices

cel flash and loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cel flash and loss of power

I just got back from picking up my car from the tuner. It pulls strong and feels good. I just have a few questions.
I notice that when I step on the gas after coasting in gear the car will hesitate for a second then pick rite up. It's kind of like the injectors are taking a min to catch up. Not sure if thats normal for the size (756cc) or a glitch in the tune.
Secondly while accelerating hard (say from a stop) at about the 7,000 rpm the cel will flash, and I will have no power for a split second, then it goes away. Any idea's on what could cause that? I'm just looking for suggestions before I call the tuner tomorrow. Thanks
The set-up is
b16a
t3t4 turbo
hondata s100
756cc injectors
holley 255lph fuel pump
p61 ecu.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:39 PM

Default Re: cel flash and loss of power (b16ahybrid)

Anybody have any suggestions? Idea's thoughts?
Old 03-19-2004, 10:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: cel flash and loss of power (b16ahybrid)

I'm not entirely sure how the Hondata works, but it sounds to me like your mixture is going lean at two crucial points.

While coasting, the stock ECU would normally lean out the mixture. I assume the Hondata does the same. Then you mash the throttle, and the ECU has to add a lot of timing to the injectors in a split second. Perhaps that cycle is just taking more time than you're used to?

Also I've read that the Hondata will only support 11 PSI? If you are going past this at 7000 RPM, that might explain your CEL and lag.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:45 PM

Default Re: cel flash and loss of power (beepy)

the bigger the injector the slower the reaction time. so when you jam on the gas real quick the engine is not expecting it and adds extra fuel to try and compensate.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:09 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beepy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also I've read that the Hondata will only support 11 PSI? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Stock map sensor supports about 11psi. Hondata supports 3bar map.
Old 03-20-2004, 05:42 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beepy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm not entirely sure how the Hondata works, but it sounds to me like your mixture is going lean at two crucial points..</TD></TR></TABLE>

The afr is @12.0 once it's in boost.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beepy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Also I've read that the Hondata will only support 11 PSI? If you are going past this at 7000 RPM, that might explain your CEL and lag.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im runing a 3 bar map just for this reason, I knew that i'd be rite on the edge of the stok map so i decided to get a 3bar just to be safe.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by envision2teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the bigger the injector the slower the reaction time. so when you jam on the gas real quick the engine is not expecting it and adds extra fuel to try and compensate. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It happens even if i ease into the gas. I was trying all sorts of scenero's so I could get the best idea (didn't work). It happens if I ease into acceleration, or if i floor it. It doesn't happen every time but 95% of the time.

Old 03-20-2004, 11:23 AM

the cel sounds like fuel cut. you can set it at any psi with hondata. you may be creeping to the psi that your tuner set it fuel cut at. find out what your fuel cut psi is from the tuner, then watch your gauge when it happens. as for the bog, mine did that too when it was first tuned, and still does when it's cold. it should get better as the ecu fine-tunes itself, but you may just have to learn to ease into the gas a bit more. things just change when you add a turbo.
Old 03-20-2004, 02:16 PM

Default Re: (superstud)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by superstud &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the cel sounds like fuel cut. you can set it at any psi with hondata. you may be creeping to the psi that your tuner set it fuel cut at. find out what your fuel cut psi is from the tuner, then watch your gauge when it happens. as for the bog, mine did that too when it was first tuned, and still does when it's cold. it should get better as the ecu fine-tunes itself, but you may just have to learn to ease into the gas a bit more. things just change when you add a turbo.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh I hear you, I've been turbo'd for about 5 years now (just switched to hondata though) and i've learned to accept that nothing is going to be like it was when the car was stock.