Notices

Catchcan Help (searched)

Old 10-05-2006, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catchcan Help (searched)

Hi Guys,

Ok I have a turbo LS/Vtec in my '90 integra. Retail space under the hood is hard to find and I am having troubles mounting my catchcan but now i have that solved (sorta). Anyway my question is this:

When I had the catchcan mounted inside my inner fender liner I had to drain it constantly and the oil, although fresh from a day or two before, would come out looking beigy. My guess is that it's mixing with the "junk" that the catchcan is supposed to catch. The problem though is that it just sits there and fills up with oil and then leaks out.

Doing some searching on here I found that I need to put in a drain tube from the bottom of the catchcan back into the system, which is fine, but I'm concerned about the beigy oil stuff going back into the system. Is that not damaging to the engine in some way? Or does it not get back to the engine?

Looking for a guru who knows.
Thanks,
-Rik
Old 10-05-2006, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<BUMP>
Old 10-05-2006, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Rikter)

is the catch can from the valve cover or block
Old 10-05-2006, 12:38 PM
wrenchin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (eddie_ek)

please dont put that crap back into your motor. if you want, run a drain line out to the ground under the car. and there is PLENTY of room under the hood, take the damned can out of your fender.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:58 PM

What you have to bear in mind is that a catch can is not an oil filter. All a catch can does is prevent oil vapor from going into the engine through the throttle body. The only thing that should be in an oil catch can is ... OIL. You have an oil filter to clean your engine oil. You CAN run a return to your oil pan, however It is a pain in the ***. All of the "beigy" stuff that you are referring too would be caught by the oil filter if you didn't have a catch can anyway.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Catchcan Help (Rikter)

Run a return line and change your oil more often. The "beige stuff" doesn't get caught by your oil filter. It would've been sucked into your intake manifold through the pcv and burned. It's crankcase vapors and moisture, mixed with oil.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the info on the catchcan. It is no longer placed in the inner fender well but rather up near the upper timming cover. Both lines are from the back of the block instead of into or a part of the valve cover.

The oil is brand new (since it's been leaking so often I keep having to top up repeatedly).

Like Sprockets said, it's the moisture mixing with the oil? I'll be putting a drain back into one of the feed lines to the catchcan tonight which will save me the loss of oil.

Hopefully this will solve all my problems.
-Rik
P.S. I don't see how running a drain line under the car and onto the ground would help as the bottle fills with oil... if I'm just draining it to the ground I'd be out of oil in my engine within a day.