Notices

Catalytic Convertor for Turbo Integra

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalytic Convertor for Turbo Integra

I'm trying to figure out what catalytic convertor everyone is running on their turboed Integras. The tuner I went to removed my cat saying it wasn't building boost, and the cat was clogged.

Now I'm getting unwanted attention from the cops, because they can smell the exhaust, and well, it's a bit louder without a cat. IMO I'd rather lose a few hp to avoid the extra traffic hassle/smell/noise, and hopefully keep this cat on for future emissions.

I currently have an older Magnaflow exhaust with resonator, and round muffler, no cat. The car is a 95 Integra LS has a Ebay turbo kit, on a stock B18B2.

Had a few questions as well:

Anyone still running an OEM cat with a turbo setup?
Anyone tried modifying a Eagle Talon TSI cat to fit?
Anyone with experience with metallic core (how long they last?)?
Old 01-20-2012, 09:15 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Catalytic Convertor for Turbo Integra

Typically a Catco or Carsound is all we use. No modified DSMs or anything to that affect. Just an aftermarket high-flow cat to keep the cops off.

If you're running that rich, even with the cops behind you and you're driving without load (to keep from being pulled over) THAT means its time to check that tune.. that's not right.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

catco cats are all i have ever used, but if your dumping that much fuel into your exhaust that cops are taking notice to it, you probably arent tuned properly, like shodan said
Old 01-20-2012, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AMS Performance in California runs a mil.spec 100 cell cat on your time attack car that made 700whp. I think thats the one to use!
Old 01-20-2012, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

even worse, running that rich will destroy the cat. you'll melt the honeycomb
Old 01-20-2012, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why do you think it clogged up in the first place? Replacing the cat isnt going to fix anything youre only putting a band-aid on the issue. It cloggd up from running rich, and it will do it again unless you get it tuned properly....Have youre tuner weld up a universal Cat-Co if you really are set on using one. Then have it retuned
Old 01-20-2012, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've always wondered if the Vibrant "metal core" converters are any good.

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...1022_1063_1111
Old 01-20-2012, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

all cats are "metal core" lol
Old 01-20-2012, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Spawne32
all cats are "metal core" lol
The normal ones they sell are ceramic.

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...dc6c2a4153558d
Old 01-20-2012, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Sprockets
The normal ones they sell are ceramic.

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...dc6c2a4153558d
The catalytic converter consists of several components:

The catalyst core, or substrate. For automotive catalytic converters, the core is usually a ceramic monolith with a honeycomb structure. Metallic foil monoliths made of FeCrAl are used in some applications. This is partially a cost issue. Ceramic cores are inexpensive when manufactured in large quantities. Metallic cores are less expensive to build in small production runs. Either material is designed to provide a high surface area to support the catalyst washcoat, and therefore is often called a "catalyst support".[citation needed] The cordierite ceramic substrate used in most catalytic converters was invented by Rodney Bagley, Irwin Lachman and Ronald Lewis at Corning Glass, for which they were inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame in 2002.[citation needed]
The washcoat. A washcoat is a carrier for the catalytic materials and is used to disperse the materials over a high surface area. Aluminum oxide, Titanium dioxide, Silicon dioxide, or a mixture of silica and alumina can be used. The catalytic materials are suspended in the washcoat prior to applying to the core. Washcoat materials are selected to form a rough, irregular surface, which greatly increases the surface area compared to the smooth surface of the bare substrate. This maximizes the catalytically active surface available to react with the engine exhaust.
The catalyst itself is most often a precious metal. Platinum is the most active catalyst and is widely used, but is not suitable for all applications because of unwanted additional reactions[vague] and high cost. Palladium and rhodium are two other precious metals used. Rhodium is used as a reduction catalyst, palladium is used as an oxidation catalysts, and platinum is used both for reduction and oxidation. Cerium, iron, manganese and nickel are also used, although each has its own limitations. Nickel is not legal for use in the European Union (because of its reaction with carbon monoxide into nickel tetracarbonyl). Copper can be used everywhere except North America,[clarification needed] where its use is illegal because of the formation of dioxin.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

vibrant is splitting hairs with the ceramic/metal core converters, a converter in general, will contain mostly metal regardless, catco's are some of the best you can get.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://science.discovery.com/videos/...converter.html

better understanding of how its made
Old 01-20-2012, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Spawne32
vibrant is splitting hairs with the ceramic/metal core converters, a converter in general, will contain mostly metal regardless, catco's are some of the best you can get.
Without having seen one, or known someone who's used one, anything you say is just speculation.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Sprockets
Without having seen one, or known someone who's used one, anything you say is just speculation.
Exactly.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info, I'll look into getting a Catco. Here the few shops I've been they only have Magnaflow, and Vibrant for some reason. I'm in Toronto, Canada.

The car was being street tuned on Crome when they noticed the turbo wasn't spooling. Then the cat was removed, and turbo started making boost. It was re-tuned on Crome, but without a cat. That's currently how it is.

You guys using pintle spray injectors? I have the disc type, which now makes me wonder about the A/F ratio.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the injector spray pattern will only affect the atomization of the fuel, in which case, disc type imo, suck. Depending on what size you need there are varying degrees of what can be recommended for your application. Regardless, you will need to retune once you put a cat back on the car. 14" catco should do you just fine.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i shouldnt say that, because technically the atomization of the fuel can actually affect the AFR reading in subtle ways as well
Old 01-21-2012, 11:16 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonjai
You guys using pintle spray injectors? I have the disc type, which now makes me wonder about the A/F ratio.
Won't matter which type you have. (not in the grand scheme of things anyway.) If its tuned well, A/F will be optimal regardless.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my rich old b16 blew out 3 catco's all replaced under warranty
Old 02-07-2012, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just wanted to give you guys an update, I ended up getting a JDM Integra Type R catback from a local used Japanese engine supplier. I turns out it's the same diameter piping 2.25" as my Magnaflow, and came with the JDM cat attached. The b pipe was a bit long, so the installer cut it, and he also cut the test pipe I was running, just in case I want to swap it back later on.

It's quieter, but a bit louder than I expected, I guess the Type R is somewhat also a bit more free flowing compared to the stock exhaust. The turbo feels as if it takes a little longer to spool, and makes a more noticable shudder noise when driving normally on the highway (more backpressure I guess from the JDM cat & muffler).

Overall, haven't been hassled for this setup so far, and looks pretty stock. BOV is actually the loudest thing now apart from my stereo. The tuner I talked to said he could street tune if I wanted to, but thinks I'll be okay till spring (when he dyno tunes en masse), driving un-tuned.

Just hope I don't kill this cat in the meantime =D
Old 02-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you shouldnt be running 2.25" exhaust pipes on a turbo car
Old 02-07-2012, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cheap 25 dollar as they sell them non metallic clog quickly I know from experience. Get a good cat labeled as metalc and I won't clog. Also do not run leaded fuels with a cat as that will clog it very quickly
Old 02-07-2012, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
Cheap 25 dollar as they sell them non metallic clog quickly I know from experience. Get a good cat labeled as metalc and I won't clog. Also do not run leaded fuels with a cat as that will clog it very quickly
catco cats or ceramic cats in general are not "cheap" by no means, theres no reason to pay more then 50-60 dollars on a cat
Old 02-07-2012, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I didn't say catco I said cheap units. 25-30. Geeze jump down my throat. 60-80 is better cats that work clog or fall apart
Old 02-07-2012, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
I didn't say catco I said cheap units. 25-30. Geeze jump down my throat. 60-80 is better cats that work clog or fall apart
lol im not jumping down your throat, if i was doing that i would type in all caps

Quick Reply: Catalytic Convertor for Turbo Integra