Notices

Car doesn't run after rebuild.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car doesn't run after rebuild.

I don't want to make this long so nobody wants to read it so I will sum it up and let you ask questions. Mods feel free to move or delete this thread if this is the wrong forum. I posted in the Tech forum and got little help.

Block B18C1 just rebuilt.

Head B16A2 just rebuilt.

Converted to OBD1.

Running a stock p28 ecu.

Basically new everything top to bottom.

When I first started it It would run and idle, but very badly. Since then I drained the tank and put in 2 gallons of fresh gas, did another valve adjustment and plugged a vacuum leak in the intake manifold. Now it will start, but I have to keep giving it gas to keep it running. If I let off the gas it will stall. So it is even worse than before.

Things I think might be problems: I am getting CEL 14 (IAC) not sure how to fix it. I am running RC 310 injectors because the OEM injectors won't fit the RC clips. It seems to be running very rich (due to CEL? or maybe the 310's? ) I am also questioning the timing. I didn't use the 5mm pins to hold the cams when I did the timing belt. I just eyeballed it. It looks to be ok. If the timing is off my valve adjustment probably made things worse.

Any help would be great. My car has been down for 13 months and I have a tunning appoinment with Jeff Evans next week!!!! Here is a pic of the setup. Since that picture I have installed an MSD distributer cap and Blaster SS coil.

Hers a link to the post in the Tech forum if you want to read it. https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1397488
Old 10-10-2005, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can't run 310cc injectors with a stock ecu, expecially one made for a D motor on a B motor. That ecu needs to be chipped, stat.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nonvtecD)

I figured that was part of the problem. I am going to have the ECU chipped by Jeff next week to run Neptune so I will just swap back to OEM OBD1 clips with stock injectors for now. I got the RC clips for free when I bought the injectors and at the time I didn't realize the clips didn't fit the OEM injectors. Since I put them on I was hoping to get away with not having to take them off and put them back on again. Thanks for the help!!!! Keep it coming.....
Old 10-10-2005, 03:57 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonvtecD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can't run 310cc injectors with a stock ecu, expecially one made for a D motor on a B motor. That ecu needs to be chipped, stat.</TD></TR></TABLE>

u can run 310cc on stock with no probs..... hmm code 14- is ur car a 96-98dx? if so u would have to move pin a14 to a12 if ur jumper harness doesn't do it for ya.... if 99-00 i forget which pins it is katman has a diagram...... also have shot the timing with a gun to see where it sits at, sometimes the eyeball can be a lil off
Old 10-10-2005, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Big Will)

It's a 99 EM1. I thought the ODB1 conversion harness was plug and play?
Old 10-10-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Re: (simike)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by simike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's a 99 EM1. I thought the ODB1 conversion harness was plug and play? </TD></TR></TABLE>

ok u can count that out then..... make sure u have a manual p28, check ur connections at the iacv, and ur jumper harness.... plug order???
Old 10-10-2005, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK I will check my pins/connections. The p28 is out of my daily driver so I know it works and I know it is a manual.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Big Will &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u can run 310cc on stock with no probs</TD></TR></TABLE>

A p28 is for a D16z6, you're telling me 310's and a D16 ecu will run a B18 no problem? I mean, I've never done it but...
Old 10-10-2005, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I will let you know about the p28 running 310's. I am going to swap out the RC clips and 310 for some OEM clips and injectors. Anyone else?? How about fixing the CEL 14? Take apart the IAC sensor and check to see if the plastic piece unscrewed? Bump it up....
Old 10-10-2005, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure you didn't switch your IAT sensor plug with the IACV sensor plug. Your IAT sensor plug should be green/black and red/yellow. Your IACV plug wire should be blue/black and yellow/black. It won't throw an IAT code since there is resistance going to the ecu, but your IAT readings will be 200+ and you will throw and IACV code.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boosted hybrid)

I will try it, but I know my IAT sensor had a broken wire and I didn't fix it because I wanted to relocate it to the manifold so it didn't blow out under boost. When I fixed it the IAC sensor was plugged in, but you never know......
Old 10-10-2005, 07:28 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nonvtecD &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

A p28 is for a D16z6, you're telling me 310's and a D16 ecu will run a B18 no problem? I mean, I've never done it but... </TD></TR></TABLE>

d16z6 have 240cc inj the same as any b18 motor.....now trying to run 310 on a stock p28 and get hp and what not prob not gonna happen becasue of the sohc timing and fuel maps...... but yes u are able to start 310cc and drive around on them with a p28 ecu
Old 10-10-2005, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

uh if your getting a code for you iac, last time i checked you car will run like crap...

definatlely fix all your codes and check your wires first before anything
Old 10-10-2005, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just make sure that the color combo on the plug that's going into the IACV is blue/black and yellow/black.

Old 10-10-2005, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just make sure that the color combo on the plug that's going into the IACV is blue/black and yellow/black. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah it might be switched with the intake air temperature sensor wire if im correct
Old 10-10-2005, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LShatchie)

OK I just checked, IAT green/black and red/yellow and IACV solid black and solid green.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That sounds like your power steering switch plugged into your IACV. The IACV wires have to be blue/black and black/yellow. Find the plug on the harness that's not plugged in and it's most likely going to have those colors.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That sounds like your power steering switch plugged into your IACV. The IACV wires have to be blue/black and black/yellow. Find the plug on the harness that's not plugged in and it's most likely going to have those colors. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It's like your here looking at the car!!!! That was the problem. Or at least one of them. I have to put the timing belt back on to start it up again. I will post again after work tomarrow.

THANKS A MILLION!!!!!
Old 10-10-2005, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's sad, but I know every single wire color that goes with every single sensor on all of the obd-1 and obd-2 harnesses. After you see wiring problems day in and day out, and you "almost" memorize the helms manual, it's kind of hard not to know the colors
Old 10-10-2005, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am glad there is someone out there like you to tell me!!! No telling how long I would have chased this around.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's sad, but I know every single wire color that goes with every single sensor on all of the obd-1 and obd-2 harnesses. After you see wiring problems day in and day out, and you "almost" memorize the helms manual, it's kind of hard not to know the colors </TD></TR></TABLE>

Dude, your diagnostic skills are freakin' hard core. Much props
Old 10-11-2005, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's sad, but I know every single wire color that goes with every single sensor on all of the obd-1 and obd-2 harnesses. After you see wiring problems day in and day out, and you "almost" memorize the helms manual, it's kind of hard not to know the colors </TD></TR></TABLE>

same here especially just after doing a dpfi to mpfi conversion
Old 10-11-2005, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (LShatchie)

boosted hybrid is tha man !!
Old 10-11-2005, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RACEPAK)

When I got home from work today I put everything back together. I made sure I swapped the P/S plug and the IACV plug so they are in the correct position. When the car started it ran MUCH better and there are no longer any CEL's.

It still makes a lot of valvetrain noise so I am going to do another valve adjustment. .007 intake .008 exhaust. It is also still running and idleing on the RC 310's and a stock p28 so I think I am going to swap the stock injectors back just to rule every possible thing out. I am definately on the right track!!! Thanks to everyone who took the time to post.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

make sure you have everything correct before you start your car...when i read that you had a stock P28 i was like WTF are you Stupid or what....but hope it runs

Quick Reply: Car doesn't run after rebuild.