Notices

Car breaks up in boost with more load.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car breaks up in boost with more load.....

b18c 20.l darton, fully biult, blah blah
neukin mani, t3 60-1, 44 gate, tial bov....
car is tuned on neptune, 25psi w/aem solenoid

Just recently went from pump gas 16psi, to new manifold, i/c, gate and bov, and now running on cam II 110oct. Car runs like a rape date on the street with bfg's, I mean the car is just scarry on the beltway, it's GREAT!! I go to the track, slap on some 24.5x9x13 slicks on, and the car bogged out the hole, with about 7psi on antilag @ 6k, and would just break up in boost through second and half 3rd. Plugs looked good, gapped em lower, tryed another and same thing. I slap the radials back on and drive home, imagine that, car runs like a rape date. I mean you can do 1st thru 4th on the street with radials and the car is sick, but with slicks it's like with more load on the car, it does't like it. The car seems to "ramp" boost in slowly, so we put more boost or adjusted the duty cycle on solenoid and put some more in her in 1st and 2nd, and changed the antilag to about 10-12 psi @ 7k, so Im hoping it will blow the doors off the car this time. It didn't seem to even spin much with it breaking up.

With that said, I'm just confused as to why that happend. Anyone had this happen to them before? It's almost as 2 step/antilag loads up so bad staging, that it breaks up until it clears up.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated....
Old 09-05-2009, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Car breaks up in boost with more load.....

runs like a rape date?! haha. I've heard "like a raped ape" before but thats a new one!
Old 09-05-2009, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SIXTY-1HATCH
b18c 20.l darton, fully biult, blah blah
neukin mani, t3 60-1, 44 gate, tial bov....
car is tuned on neptune, 25psi w/aem solenoid

Just recently went from pump gas 16psi, to new manifold, i/c, gate and bov, and now running on cam II 110oct. Car runs like a rape date on the street with bfg's, I mean the car is just scarry on the beltway, it's GREAT!! I go to the track, slap on some 24.5x9x13 slicks on, and the car bogged out the hole, with about 7psi on antilag @ 6k, and would just break up in boost through second and half 3rd. Plugs looked good, gapped em lower, tryed another and same thing. I slap the radials back on and drive home, imagine that, car runs like a rape date. I mean you can do 1st thru 4th on the street with radials and the car is sick, but with slicks it's like with more load on the car, it does't like it. The car seems to "ramp" boost in slowly, so we put more boost or adjusted the duty cycle on solenoid and put some more in her in 1st and 2nd, and changed the antilag to about 10-12 psi @ 7k, so Im hoping it will blow the doors off the car this time. It didn't seem to even spin much with it breaking up.

With that said, I'm just confused as to why that happend. Anyone had this happen to them before? It's almost as 2 step/antilag loads up so bad staging, that it breaks up until it clears up.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated....
The reason is does it with the slicks and not the street tires is the difference in load on the motor.
Sound like its fat and/or ignition is weak.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats what I'm leaning toward also. I thought alittle more boost may help out of the hole as well. I'm just in the dark I guess, until my tuner can get to the track with me and data log it. It was running 11 2ish with my little blaster coil and gap @ 18, but just upgraded to the hvcII the blue one and run gap back @ 26 now, and took afr's to about 11 6ish in boost. I'm not sure what it is @ the line on antilag.

Is it possible to have the antilag set, I dunno, too rich I guess that would cause issues? i'll have to check with him and see what timing looks like. I HATE this part of racing!!!! I can build a whole car and motor, but have to rely on someone else to tune.... IT SUCKS!!!
Old 09-05-2009, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my car is doing the same thing it makes me so mad. i run the street with nitto 555 drag radials my car has no traction 1st-2nd and 3rd-4th will light them up after 5500 to redline. i put on the same size slicks as you and then i got nothing pops and bogs all way down the track. What i think my problem is high iat i think my iat sensor is getting heat soaked, from waiting in line so long to race at the track. when i datalog my car the iat was over 150* that was incorrect and false. As i got to looking into it more that will tell the ecu to retard the timing 5* you could imagen the power loss of taking out 5* from your tune.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I took antilag up to 7k, and put more boost in 1st and 2nd, so well see what happens. Im actually switching and putting my old t3 mani back on. I have a t4 with an adaptor plate right now, and it seems like it actually made my setup more laggy. Imma slap her back together, and see what 2 more degrees does to her, pretty sure shes got some more left in her.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:40 PM

I'd start by putting a stock ignition on it.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dizzy is likely dying, if you have one to swap out id try that quick.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Who said I had an aftermarket ignition setup? Dizzy is fine, Ive already checked everything on that. Your missing it, the car is fine, it's only with the slicks on the car. If it was the dizzy it would be all the time.

It's a stock gsr dizzy, with external msd hvcII coil, the big blue one. My ignition is in great shape!!

Im confident it was how the antilag was setup too low in the rpms, and little more timing was needed. As soon as the damn rain would stop I could get my *** back to the track and see if our adjustments worked....
Old 09-12-2009, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you get it retuned after you changed your set up?
Old 09-12-2009, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i thought u were running more boost with the slicks?
Old 09-12-2009, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes the car was re-tuned after the setup, I'm not a newb....I just switched back to my old turbo mani, and it seems like it likes this mani better, but I won't know anything till i get thoes slicks on. It's rained here EVERY freaking friday, it sucks!!

I am running more bocost all around. I started on 16psi, then got re-tuned for camII and 25psi, and switched from chrome to neptune with the aem solenoid for gear based boost control(previously ran mbc). After I got tuned on hi boost, the car is sick and runs great, but @ track with slicks it just popped and broke up. Put the radials back on and car ran fine again on street. Woke up next morning and went to tuner, and raised the anti-lag to 7k instead of 6k, and put more boost in 1st gear and 2nd. The last couple days I spent putting back my old manifold on b/c it seems to spool up ALOT quicker than the one I had on the car. I just haven't had a chance to go back to track and test b/c of the damn rain.