Notices

Car back from shop...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car back from shop...

Turbonetics just sent me a replacement for the smoking/leaking T3\T4 they originally sent, and my shop finished the install today after waiting 3 weeks for the whole kit(Fmax) to be installed. Certain important parts were missing from the kit...wrong instructions...BAD turbo...etc.

Well, the good news is it runs. Set at 5 psi now, untill i get it tuned. A few things I noticed tho driving back from the shop. When the rpms are below 3k, the car is sluggish to say the least. Much slower than stock. Once 3 k hits tho, it goes. I expected there to be turbo lag, but i ddin't expect the car to get slower. Comp Ratio is stock. Maybe too much fuel...not enough?

Next, after 3k rpms there is a distinct turbo whine(spoolin up) and when releasing the throttle there is the Turbonetics Blow Off Valve 'put put put put put'. But also, when really stepping on the pedal, past 3k rpms, there is a loud gushing of air noise. Is this supposed to be there? Also, the tachometer needle doesn't move smoothly under boost. It kinda has a staggered motion.

Lastly, I don't like the sound the Turbonetics Blow-Off Valve makes. Which is a good Valve to get with a nice pshhhhhhh noise?

THats all fo now!
Latta
Kack

Old 08-13-2003, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car back from shop... (Kack)

Is there somebody around you that is familiar with boosted cars? I say let them ride with you to give you some real advice.

There are many possible reasons you are experiencing that sluggishnes. Could be not enough timing advance at part throttle, could be too much fuel.

Is there an adjustable spring on your bov? It could be too tight for the measly 5psi load it's being asked to do. If you could loosen it that might solve your problem. The way you described the "put put put" sound makes me think that is compressor surge because the bov is not opening.
Old 08-13-2003, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Car back from shop... (glagola1)

Ya I have a neighbor that can look at it. I'll see what he says about the sluggishness and noise.

I must check the BOV and see if it can be loosened. Would this too-tight-BOV cause the sluggishness? Could it be im only running on 3 cylinders?

I don't think its the timing because the Boost Timing Master is not working yet. So stock timing is in use.

Thanks