Notices

car is acting up?

Old 01-26-2005, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car is acting up?

1. at idle it doesnt sound like constant open dp anymore, it makes like mini back fireing noises?

2. coolant levle is normal when i open the radiator but, its sucking up all the coolant in the overfill tank?

3. im not 100% sure my fan works?? its plugged in and everything, how do i test it? i drive around with the heater on all the time ( blue...../......<red) and the (1..2..3..4..) at 1. the car never goes over normal operating temp's, so is it a possibility my fan doesnt work but by having the heat on its making it operate at normal temps?
Old 01-26-2005, 04:42 AM

Default Re: car is acting up? (fafsa)

Old 01-26-2005, 06:01 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fafsa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

1. at idle it doesnt sound like constant open dp anymore, it makes like mini back fireing noises?

2. coolant levle is normal when i open the radiator but, its sucking up all the coolant in the overfill tank? &gt;&gt;Any steam escaping the exhaust? Sounds like a blown headgasket.

3. im not 100% sure my fan works?? its plugged in and everything, how do i test it? &gt;&gt;Remove the electrical connection from your ECT sensor on the thermostat housing. Jump the electrical connection on the wiring harness with a paper clip while the key is in the ON position. Your fan should come on. If this is the case and your fan isn't running while the engine is on, you may have a bad ECT sensor.

i drive around with the heater on all the time ( blue...../......&lt;red) and the (1..2..3..4..) at 1. the car never goes over normal operating temp's, so is it a possibility my fan doesnt work but by having the heat on its making it operate at normal temps? &gt;&gt;Doubt it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 01-26-2005, 06:30 AM

Default Re: car is acting up? (DaX)

what do you mean steam escaping out the downpipe, sry kinda noobish... like i know it smokes when i turn it on in the morn when its cold, but i know thats not it, can you explain it to me?

ill have to try that when i get home to see if my fan is ok, but you said u doubt the heater is making my car run at normal operating temp's so wouldnt that mean the fan works??
Old 01-26-2005, 06:53 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fafsa &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
what do you mean steam escaping out the downpipe, sry kinda noobish... like i know it smokes when i turn it on in the morn when its cold, but i know thats not it, can you explain it to me? &gt;&gt;Steam in the morning is normal. It's moisture [dew] escaping that has settled overnight. If your car steams constantly, there lies your problem. If you have no coolant leaks and are still consuming coolant, you can bet that it's getting sucked into the cylinders and burning off.

ill have to try that when i get home to see if my fan is ok, but you said u doubt the heater is making my car run at normal operating temp's so wouldnt that mean the fan works?? &gt;&gt;From my experience in many situations, turning the heater on does hardly anything for dropping your coolant temp except by maybe a few degrees. The size of the heater core under your dash is miniscule compared to the radiator. If you're running at normal operating temps, I'd be willing to bet your fan is kicking on. OEM fans are hard to hear...if you want some comfort, get a screaming slim fan. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 01-26-2005, 06:58 AM

Default Re: car is acting up? (DaX)

alright thanks alot man, ill have to check it out all today. i also heard, doesnt oil get into the overfill tank or something?

alright, cool im guessing im ok with the fan situation, since i never overheat or anything

Old 01-26-2005, 07:07 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

There are many degrees of a blown headgasket. The extreeme is when you have oil/coolant mixtures in your radiator and your oil pan/valve cover. A slightly blown headgasket can result in what you are experiencing...coolant consumption. My latest blown headgasket fiasco was pressurizing my coolant passages with cylinder pressure, which overflowed my coolant reservoir.

You can check your oil cap, radiator cap, valve cover, and oil in the pan for a milky mixture, but if you don't find it, don't think you didn't blow your gasket. A compression and leakdown test are generally the best way to tell, and even then it may be misleading.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:57 AM

Default Re: (DaX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DaX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There are many degrees of a blown headgasket. The extreeme is when you have oil/coolant mixtures in your radiator and your oil pan/valve cover. A slightly blown headgasket can result in what you are experiencing...coolant consumption. My latest blown headgasket fiasco was pressurizing my coolant passages with cylinder pressure, which overflowed my coolant reservoir.

You can check your oil cap, radiator cap, valve cover, and oil in the pan for a milky mixture, but if you don't find it, don't think you didn't blow your gasket. A compression and leakdown test are generally the best way to tell, and even then it may be misleading.</TD></TR></TABLE>

radiator cap, oil cap seem to be pretty normal. going to do a compression test later tonight. thanks for helping me out so far