Notices

Cant Figure It Out-No Run Condition

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 04:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant Figure It Out-No Run Condition

Let me start my saying that, i am absolutely stumped on what this could be.

The Car:
99 Civic Hatch, GSR-Stock Block- Built Head, Inline Pro Manifold, Garrett Precision SC61, GM 3 Bar Map Sensor, Hondata S300, Tuned At Inline Pro.

This Car has been boosted and daily driven for a year and a half and has not had a problem since day 1, nothing at all.
About a month ago, while driving the car from a stop sign in first gear, the car just stopped. I was going about 7 MPH and the car falls on its face. I pull over and try to start it. The car would crank, turn over and die. As I hit the gas the car would hesitate and stumble, then rev up. I let it sit a couple minutes, and it would turn over and black smoke poured from the exhaust, and then it would die. I somehow managed to get it to stay idle, roughly, and drove it back to work ( about 1.5 miles). On the way back, coming to a stop the car would die, but when i released the clutch it would pop back on. At low RPM's the car seemed hesitant, but at higher RPMs the car would act somewhat normal. So I bring it to my shop and parked it inside until the next day. So the next day I come in, ready to get this thing fixed. I check all the basic stuff, oil, coolant, everything seems fine. I still cant get thhe car to run. I do some tests, and determine its getting way to much fuel, and that with the MAP sensor unplugged, it would run, like crap, but none the less run. So I think its a faulty sensor and order a new one fron GM. Part comes 2 days later, put it on, and same problem. Now Im pissed, what could it be? Look at the car a little longer, and determine that it could be either my #1 Cyl Sensor, or Crank Sensor in the Distributor. It would fire on Cyl 4, but not the others intermittently. I had a SLIGHT leak inside the dizzy, and i cleaned it out and the car somehow ran. So I figure ok, lets just get a new distributor. Had to wait like 15 days for it to come??, because the parts guy brought the wrong one the first time. Get the new distributor, and still the same problem. It actually started and ran decently fine, for about a minute. But then, whie trying to start, it would crank an dthe backfire out of the exhaust really loud. I went to take it on a test drive, and it stumbled again. ****, now im back at square one. Now we hooked up the noid light and found that sometimes the injectors would fire and sometimes they wouldnt. I think that when starting, they just dump fuel though. I have checked that Im getting fuel(too much in fact), i know im getting spark, i know i have good fuel pressure, checked the main relay, everything...What else could it be? The only thing i relly havent checked is the timing, 1 because its hard to do, with no room in there to do it, and 2, Why would the car run somewhat fine after the new distributor, and then have the same problem if the timing was off. I am so pissed with the car that im going to take a hammer to it. All maintenance is done on this car, and it is taken care of very well, but it dont count if it doesnt run now. Im not really good with wiring problems, but i take them head on. I need this car to run, because my truck is killing me on diesel. Any one got anywhere i can start to look. TIA H-T..

Sorry for the long piece, but its how the story goes
Old 09-06-2008, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Cant Figure It Out-No Run Condition (jpnucrx)

check the map sensor wiring. had a car towed here a couple weeks ago with a very similar problem. turned out to be bad solder connections. no CEL, but ran horrible.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Cant Figure It Out-No Run Condition (Turbo-charged)

im not familiar with hondatat but with aem you could look at all the sensor voltages and see if every thing is what its supposed to be. unless its a prob with the computer.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Cant Figure It Out-No Run Condition (got wide)

You can check the map sensor wiring by checking the signal wire voltage at the ecu with the key on/engine off. You can check for a proper ground & 5 volt source to the sensor.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Cant Figure It Out-No Run Condition (mtber)

Even datalogging would show this. If you had the IGN on and the engine off it should show ~0psi. If it shows 29psi, something is definately wrong with the MAP or its wiring. In this case, ~4.7 volts would be 3bar/29psi, and ~1.6 volts should be 1atm/14.7psi (absolute at sea level).